Changes to Zwift Subscription Renewals [May 2024]

Wow - a real shock. I don’t really see a lot of investment, a few more routes here and there. The new climb portals are a joke. You’re market leaders spending a fortune on marketing. This is a big big mistake. I could go with a 10% hike, but 30% is a rip off. Sorry Zwift, I’m out of here. Hello Rouvy

3 Likes

After the xp and level debacle I was already planning to look at some alternatives after the summer break. With these prices it’s a no brainer to switch cycling platform.

I don’t care about racing or group rides. I have all route and other badges, the xp system is a giant mess, so there’s little left to achieve. The only thing that remains is to just ride, which is what every platform offers. Having real riders in the game world was a plus, I have to see how I feel without those. Maybe bots will be my new best friends :smiley:.

Ride On Zwift, just without me …

6 Likes

Anyone got any constructive alternative to Zwift I should try?

3 Likes

Good morning
This was to be expected… but it is the way in which the news was transmitted to your customers that is not getting through and especially with this increase… 5 euros or 5 dollars more… given the accumulated problems these last few months on the app, I’m not sure everyone will appreciate this news. I would like to pay 19.99 euros instead of 14.99 euros but then you’ll have to move on your ass. At this price we want top of the range… we want a worth it product and service, which will satisfy the expressed or implicit needs of customers. Otherwise, many people could move elsewhere. Afterwards I hope (while thinking about the economic situation) that this increase is not due to a possible fragility of the company which has already accumulated quite a few layoffs and lawsuits and which would decrease their finiancials incomes.

2 Likes

Precisely what happened… Zwift wanted customers to hear from them (via email) before they heard it from the press. But Outside published the news early.

3 Likes

Hmmm…offer an annual subscription, get people to sign up. Let them get used to the new prices for a good few months and then they will be less likely to cancel.

1 Like

So planning to increase monthly to £17.99 from £12.99 in the UK ?
This is pure greed , and they’re going to lose so many customers !

Financial suicide

1 Like

My account renewal is set to process tomorrow May 8th, the day after the price increase announcement. According to the email I received this morning and the support page, the annual accounts increase is effective the next bill cycle (tomorrow for me), while stating monthly accounts go into effect in June.
Am I to believe I only get 24 hours notice of a price increase?

Q: When is the price increase happening?

A: Updated pricing is now in effect for new subscribers Existing monthly subscribers will pay the new price on their next billing date after 6th June while updated pricing for existing annual plan members will come into effect from their next renewal date.

Angus is Virtupro still windows only?

I don’t understand why the marketing department didn’t decide to run the old annual subscription price for another month. I suspect a lot of users would have signed up to that rather than now rushing to cancel their subscription for the next few months. Both trainer road and Eurosport did legacy offers to tie people in.

Another totally missed trick seems to have been introducing a multi user discount for a single billing account when they announced this. A 20% discount for each additional family member could have softened the blow. Irrelevant to me but I can imagine a £100 plus increase in some households is really going to hit too hard.

It’s almost like no one discussed this policy change!

15 Likes

Baffling why they didn’t offer a window to upgrade annually for the cheaper price. Would have made a fair few £, which it sounds like they really do need right now.

2 Likes

Yes, they’ve done a few new updates in the last few weeks. Still not the most exciting but as it seems to be forever free and the graphics are pretty good on a gaming PC tbh it will fill a void.

1 Like

When my year ends in March, I will switch platforms to Rouvy. This price increase is dramatic and not worth it at all.

From reading the strength of feeling in the responses above, it really wouldn’t surprise me if the numbers cancelling reduces the increase in revenue by rather more than expected.

I’m lucky to be able to afford the price increase and will be carrying on (partly as I’m paid-up until December), but that doesn’t mean I’m happy about it. The developments that have happened while I’ve been on Zwift have mostly not been of much interest to me, and those that would be of interest (e.g. addressing deliberate/accidental cheaters) seem a non-priority.

4 Likes

I’m in the fortunate position where work give us some money for a fitness subscription, so I’m not really affected by the price increase. But it is a huge one-off increase. All very well saying it hasn’t gone up for 5 years, but if you’ve only been a member for a year you don’t really see that.

I’ve been finding zwift less fun for months now. I’ve been thinking of trying something else. This got me thinking. It is a lot of money for not a lot - we provide all our own equipment unlike with a gym sub. I certainly wouldn’t pay this much money to play a PC game for 30 hours a month. I’ll stay unless I find something better, but absolutely understand anyone cancelling subscription.

This smacks of a software company that’s seen the writing on the wall for organic growth, together with all the recent staff lay-offs this is Zwift cutting off their nose to save their investors’ face. Guess their approach of throwing everything they had at marketing/sponsorships to try grow the subscriber base while letting the product stagnate wasn’t the winning strategy they thought it was.

13 Likes

Goodbye zwift! Just canceled my yearly subscription, my friends are leaving to, this is a sad day

5 Likes

Very bad company planning, a small increase over the years wouldn’t have been as noticeable (greedy) as 38% all at once. I’ll personally keep on zwifting, but I will cancel the subscription during summer four months instead of three.

5 Likes

A: Updated pricing is now in effect for new subscribers Existing monthly subscribers will pay the new price on their next billing date after 6th June while updated pricing for existing annual plan members will come into effect from their next renewal date.
Which for me is tomorrow, within 24 hours of the announcement. This is practically no notice. Im trying to get a clear answer if Im getting charged $150 tomorrow as anticipated, or $200 with so little notice.
[Edit] If I am paying the new cost tomorrow then why do monthly subscribers get until June to pay the price increase?