Avatars weaving after July 2021 release [1.15.0]

Please look again at this update to group dynamics. Group rides have become nauseating with riders swerving continuously for no reason and causing major disruption.

Why don’t you test these things properly before you release them.

5 Likes

We’re looking at it thanks to the reports bubbled up in this thread.

6 Likes

Just to add, I just abandoned Sportssolid series (C)… same problem, everyone swerving all over the place. Impossible to ride as a group. Thanks for looking into it.

1 Like

A lot of complaints about avatars zigzagging in group this morning.

7 Likes

I wonder if there is a common denominator here. I watched two streamers that use Windows and both seem fine. I also had no issues on Windows.

Thanks for your reports everyone. I split this tangent of the Pack Dynamics Update thread so we can focus on identifying causes of this avatar behavior.

1. So far, you’ve told us that this is happening in Makuri and Yorkshire. Are there any other worlds affected?

2. And to @Gerrie_Delport_ODZ point: what OS platform are you using?

3. Is your own avatar weaving, or is it the avatars around you that are weaving?

1 Like

This sounds a lot like the earlier pack dynamics changes where the avatars of other users on older versions of the app would move in weird ways.

2 Likes

I’m seeing the same issue on Makuri on a Mac. The issue is with my avatar, weaving and occasionally crossing the centre line. The first time it did this there were 3-4 oncoming riders.

@Anna_Ronkainen
We enforced updates to the latest version to eliminate this variable. Everyone should be on 1.15.0 (1.072785) on all OS’s.

1 Like

I was running on Apple TV when I saw this, in the Makuri Islands. I didn’t try any other worlds.

Just did a meetup in London with 4 other riders and all our avatars were swinging across the road erratically. All updated to latest version and I was on Windows PC
It was ridiculous with some riders diverting away from others then some trying to follow

Be interesting how the WTRL TTT goes tomorrow trying to form a paceline!!

1. Happened to me in London during the ZHR Hares & Hounds at 18:45 CET.

2. Apple TV.

3. My avatar weaved to the right when others were riding closely behind me. Likewise, when I was riding behind others, they moved to the right. Seemed like we were bumping the riders in front out of the way. When riding very smoothly we could draft, but in a small pack of 3 A riders we only managed this for brief periods of maybe 10 seconds at a time. This worked more like forced anti drafting, were the rider in front would constantly swerve to the right to prevent drafting.

I had weaving avatars (mine and small group around me) in London Greatest Flat Group ride this morning. In one section mine even targeted road furniture (statues). In a larger group it wasn’t evident.

Apple TV 4K

1. Makuri for me. Watopia was fine.
  2. Built for Zwift/RGT Win10 pc
  3. My own and other avatars

I jumped back on on later yesterday with another pc to spectate others on Makuri - still there but no “collisions” after 5 mins of viewing.

Happened in London with the Vikings Valhalla Recovery Ride, 4:20 pm UTC.
My observation is that you swerve halfway across the road as you approach another rider from behind. This happens even if you try to creep up on them slowly. You get very close, and then you swerve, as if it was triggered at a certain distance to the other rider.
Group Leader tried turning the fence off. I did not notice a change in the swerving due to the fence being on or off.
The swerving is accompanied by a loss of draft. Makes it very difficult to sweep, and difficult to keep a group together.
The swerving behaviour continued into the after-party, indicating that it was not a function of the group ride itself.
Even among a small group of riders trying hard to stay together, any slight gap between riders would trigger the swerving, and shatter the group. Just going around a corner was a problem.

2 Likes

To be clear: this affected all avatars in the ride and in the after-party.

1 Like

Also: a lot of riders were seeing the same thing, judging from the group chatter. But for the record: I was using Zwift 1.15.0 (75178) last updated 2021-07-19, on Windows 10 Version 21H1 last updated 2021-07-13.

Did a group workout in Makuri last night consisting of around 80 to 100 people. Half the pack continuously swerved and rode in loops all over the road for the entire ride. It was very distracting and I felt bad for the ride organizer.

My avatar wasn’t one of the ones swerving, but I did spend a fair amount of time riding on the shoulder and in the grass.

Thanks for responding.

Addendum: I did not see this issue during the Vikings Valhalla Wednesday Chase Ride, Paris, 4 am Wed July 21 UTC.
This was with the same setup as described above: Zwift 1.15.0 (75178) last updated 2021-07-19, on Windows 10 Version 21H1 last updated 2021-07-13.