Auto Incline On Treadmills - Fully Working

All,

I’m a regular on here and am in no way affiliated to Zwift or the app I’m about to tell you about.
I’m involved by being one of the many users that wanted my BT enabled treadmill to talk to Zwift.
It’s evolved from there.

The app is called QZ-Domyos and is written by a talented coder called Roberto. It’s available on IOS and Android and works when Zwift is run on Windows with BT.

I’ve been testing QZ over the last month and can now confirm there is a way to get auto incline working 100% of the time.

To start your treadmill must be BT enabled and link to a 3rd party app which can control the treadmill. I will use the example of my NordicTrack treadmill and Ifit. The app is able to read the data Ifit sends to the treadmill to adjust incline and the Roberto can use this to tell Zwift to do the same.
If your treadmill is not one of the many models now already working Roberto can guide you through how to capture this data and send it him.
He worked tirelessly with me to do this, replying almost instantly. Eventually we were able to get it working but not 100% of the time and not in a simple way

However that is now overcome. You have to do a little pairing trick in Zwift to get it working but I can get it going 100% of the time now.

This feature has been requested many times and is now available.

The app has many other useful features. For example you can use the treadmill as a bike in Zwift so as you run it converts your speed into Watts and you can cycle.

The app costs very little in reality. Roberto will guide you through everything. You need to sign up to the Beta program to get the updates. Roberto will modify the app and it’s usually available after an hour to download.

I will also try to answer as many questions as possible having extensively tested the app for some time.

QZ-DOMYOS. Download it now for the fully immersive experience.

If this is real, this will be amazing!

100% Tim.

I’ve made a video of it working which I think Roberto has put on the Facebook page for QZ.

What treadmill do you have? Chances are the app may already work with your model.
It’s a great thing to have working, makes you work so much harder on a run.

1 Like

Life Fitness T3…

Wahoo app works with it!!

Also, can you post a link to the video as I’m not on FB.

I’ll see if I can upload it as I’m also a non social media person.
If the Wahoo app controls the incline on your treadmill then the QZ app should work.
We will need you to do a short run on your treadmill with the Wahoo app running. Using your phone/tablet we can capture the BT signals from the app to the treadmill and then replicate these in Zwift. Sounds complicated but it’s actually quite simple.

What’s the wahoo app. Only see wahoo fitness app. But nothing evident on how to connect to a treadmill. Only to bike trainers and wahoo’s sensors.

The wahoo fitness app connects to the Life Fitness domestic treadmills!

This is video of it working. It’s a bit naff quality as it was during testing that I recorded it. I’ll make a better video in the next couple of days.

4 Likes

Great work!! I am not on Windows unfortunately, but would pay for having this as a feature natively in Zwift.

1 Like

Can you connect Stryd etc?

You can connect Stryd to Zwift as normal if you wanted to record cadence. Not as a speed device as that is obviously coming from the treadmill.

Hi, does this work for SOLE F80? Connects via BT to SOLE app. Connects ok to Zwift via BT (speed only).
Thanks

Under the criteria given yes the app can be made to work with your treadmill.

Hello Stuart,

I notice this tread a little too late. But would like to give feedback nonetheless.
I made contact with Roberto myself too and can confirm that it is pleasant to deal with him. He is very friendly, helpful and very fast in answering.
He proposed me to install an app to monitor the bluetooth connection with the treadmill. I did so and send him some screenshots. He came back with ideas which would work, but he needed more screenshots. And after I send these too, he came to the conclusion that my treadmill, a Bowflex BXT56 (that’s the European model number, in the US it is T22) actually is blocking the bluetooth connection to change features (like the incline or speed).
He further proposed me to support me in my communication with Bowflex, so he could explain them what is needed.
My quest for a normal contact in Bowflex was not succesful until now.
-I contacted the support responsible for Germany, no answer whatsoever
-I contacted the support responsible for the Netherlands, they were wondering how deep I went into technical issues to described the issue, but were not able to support “Better I contact Bowflex in US with my issue”. I asked for a contact person and never got an answer on that.
-I used the support option in the JRNY software on the treadmill to contact Bowflex and I did receive an answer. When I explained them in detail (the UI on the treadmill is not convenient for extended mails) I was informed that my ticket got a status something like ‘noticed’, clearly stating they will not work on it further

I thought it was a safety issue, that they do not allow the auto incline. But I noticed that the JRNY software itself allows auto-incline. So it is not a security issue, I think they just would like to keep this option to themselves so people will take the JRNY membership. For me this is a no-go, I find things which I dislike too much there:
-the videos provided are 5km videos, auto-incline works for the first 5km and will stick at the last incline value after that. The video will loop but incline does not change anymore.
-I find the video much less attractive compared with a Zwift screen where much more information is provided
-the game feeling and contact with others is not available in JRNY either
-and I dislike the feeling of bumping into other people, for whatever reason I do not feel this in Zwift, even if my Avatar actually really runs into somebody else. The person who filmed the video can run slower and move to avoid an accident, but as I do not know where this person is going (left or right) I feel I am kind of moving on the treadmill to avoid the accident myself. Same is valid for Kinomap by the way

So for the moment I seem stuck with a nice treadmill without auto-incline. Today I ran 12km in one of the Zwift worlds and I was bored by changing the incline towards what Zwift is showing me. Auto incline is so much easier, or better ‘would be’ as I do not posses it (yet).

1 Like

Does this work with the Technogym myrun? I have zwift running on pc but it says to use the treadmills native app, if I do that won’t that use the single Bluetooth connection?

1 Like

It should be able to work yes. If you get in touch with Roberto he will advise you how to take a snoop of your Bluetooth transmissions which he can interpret to see if it’ll work.

I’m here if you need me!

2 Likes

Hi Roberto - I would like to know if your app would work on the Technogym myrun and how does it work. I have zwift running on a pc and connects to the tread direct on the single Bluetooth connection.

Really interested in this would be great if it worked!

Yes so it could work. You have just to collect me some data.
Write me to Roberto.viola83 at gmail and I will follow you step by step