Are my figures right or am I cheating?

Hi all, new Zwifter here and I am sure this has been asked many times but I just wanted to get your opinion on my numbers to make sure I’m not cheating the system and myself. I am a 50 year old, 115kg fairly regular rider and in my first 4 rides on Zwift I am averaging between 220 to 230 watts. Each of these rides has been around the hour mark and on the hilly sections a ride averages about 24km/h.

To put this into perspective I did a real world sportive and also averaged 24km/h over the 80 km course which was undulating in nature. what do you guys think, based on that I think the numbers are probably about right?

Jason, I am not sure why you think you might be “cheating” but I think the answer depends on what you mean by hilly. If you are riding Alpe Zwift or the other mountain those numbers might be OK at your weight but if you are talking about rolling terrain, your average speed seems way too low if you are truly averaging 220-230 watts

Well as an example David, this mornings ride was Innsbruck including the climb, and I did the 24km in 62 minutes and average wattage of 239W. In real life I would have been pleased with that.

What’s your power source? Those numbers look about right to me.

OK, so this is no kidding climbing then, so that makes more sense. For comparison, on my last Innsbruck ride I averaged 230 watts and 16.6mph (26.7kph), but I am about 60 lbs lighter than you.

1 Like

Thanks for that David, that does make me believ the numbers more :slight_smile: I was very pleased with that but of course I have to remind myself that “climbing” on the trainer is easier than in real life as ther is no gravity and at my weight gravity is a factor.

Something I just learned about yesterday (I got a kicker core) is the importance of a spindown on your trainer to be sure the power numbers are as accurate as possible. Look into that maybe?

That puts you at ~1.9w/kg. 5w/kg for an hour is where power starts to become questionable.