AppleTV problems with new update [1.13.0] [May 21 2021] [SOLVED]

Hi Shuji - answers below:

1. Apple TV 4K 1st Gen 32GB (Model: A1842), running latest version of tvOS 14.5 (18L204)
  2. No, not using ZCA to pair BT (and in any case, Zwift crashes during the very first blue splash screen (with the white Zwift logo on it), before even being able to select pairing options) - same crash behaviour whether ZCA is open or closed when Zwift app is launched.
  3. No
  4. No
  5. No
    Thanks.

UPDATE: I have also just tested Zwift on another ATV I have and it seems to work fine.
The working set up is:

• ATV 4K 1st Gen 64GB (Model: A1842), running version tvOS 14.4 (18K802)
    As you can see there are 2 differences between working and non-working configs:
    a. works on ATV 4K 1st Gen with 64GB memory, running tvOS 14.4
    b. crashes on ATV 4K 1st Gen with 32GB memory, running tvOS 14.5
    Hope this helps.
    Let me know if you want me to update the working config to tvOS 14.4 (although I would prefer not to - would prefer to have at least 1 working version of Zwift).

My exact model is A1842 with 32GB

TVOS is 14.5(18L204)

@v_c1
Let’s keep the working configuration as-is and working. :sweat_smile:

Is the working machine using the latest Zwift version that lets you ride in Makuri Islands?

Apologies, yes, it’s Zwift v1.13.0 (70425). Which is v1.0.70425 in the app store.
Yes, Makuri Islands is available to ride on this working version.

1 Like

Hopefully your post helps! Nice troubleshooting :blush:

I am on ATV 4K not sure what generation it is. There is nothing else running at the time or BT since Zwift does not even load.

After the recent update when attempting to load Zwift, the application gets as far as the blue screen with the Big Z logo and then suddenly exits. I’ve deleted the app reinstalled and have even performed a complete reset of the Apple TV OS. The problem persists. I’ve contacted Zwift support but so far have yet to hear anything back.

EXACT same issue here. New world loads fine on my iphone but not on ATV - tried the delete/restore app to no avail.

I have 3 Apple TV 4K (64GB) A1842 units - It runs correctly on the 2 units that I never run Zwift on, but crashes during launch on the Unit that is actually used for Zwift. On this unit you get to see the initial splash screen for a second and then it simply returns back to the Apple TV home page.

All 3 units are running the latest tvOS 14.5 (18L204). The Zwift application is 1.13.0 (70425) on all three units.

Dam, absolutely identical units and yet it fails on one… I wonder where this will lead. I wonder if the units are truly identical hardware wise? We’re they purchased at same time?

Interesting- of the two 1st Gen 4K ATVs I have (32GB, tvOS 14.5 vs 64GB, tvOS 14.4), the 64GB works, but I’ve not run Zwift on it before. I usually use the 32GB version for Zwift (which does not work, Zwift crashes after blue logo screen).

Interesting. So I only have one unit…32GB, A1842 and does not work. Maybe 32Gb v 64Gb?

Curious what others are using that isn’t working versus units that are.

My 32GB ATV with 14.5 is working fine with the latest Zwift.

1. I have an Apple TV 4K unit - 1st generation. The TVos was ver. 13.7 and after applying the Zwift update the app would not launch. Tried numerous uninstalls and reinstalls, upgrade to TVos 14.5 with a factory reset no luck.

2. No

3. No

4. No

Oddly this new Zwift update installed fine on my Apple TV HD model A1625 running TVos 13.4.6. I am up and running, or should I say riding, just not with the Apple TV 4K unit.

@shooj - Thanks for reaching out.

1. Yes, Apple TV 4K gen1, tvOS 14.5, zwift app crashes when launching
  2. N/A (I use companion, but app crashes when companion is not on and even my trainer is off)
  3. N/A, see above
  4. N/A, I have Apple Watch, but it’s not I’m the “mix” since app crashes in 1s after launch

My Apple TV HD with tvOS 14.5 doesn’t crash with Zwift app, but it’s not avail for my trainer.

As said before, I mailed my Apple TV logs to Zwift support and your logs email.

Configuration One: On my oldest tv screen with the lowest graphic resolution of 1080p HDR, 4:2:2 the actual released Zwift version is operating properly.

Configuration Two: On the newest 4K Dolby Vision tv screen with a high resolution setting it results in the above described blue screen and the interruption of the booting procedure.

But if I change the video setting in the Apple TV preferences to a much lower resolution like 480p SDR at 60Hz it works with my Apple TV and the latest Zwift version. Parts of the game frame are cut off, but hey it’s just a work around until a fix is available. Maybe the Airplay stream via iPhone to the Apple TV is working. I haven’t check this till now.

See you in Yumezi hopefully this month

I have precisely same config and she’s dead in the water

Multiple rides since the update w/zero issues, but to add to your data pool:

1st gen Apple TV 4K:, A1842(32GB)
tvOS: 14.5 (18L204)
Storage: Zwift currently using 2.2GB (do not use Apple TV for anything else)
Resolution setting: 4K SDR via HDMI

No

Not from Apple TV. Earbuds connected to iPhone.

Beats Pro Wireless to iPhone.

No

edit: added version info
edit: added storage info
edit: AppleTV resolution setting addition

This is really interesting @Steve_Hammatt. I’m curious if you have alot of other apps installed on your ATV?

We’ve been testing with Zwift HQ employees who use Apple TV’s and we’re having a hard time replicating this crash. This may be because it’s not just a matter of Model X ATV box using version Y tvOS with Z GB of storage that we need to examine.

One of the variables HQ has no way of knowing about on the player’s end is how much of the storage is being used. We are exploring that variable with our internal testing… For those who are curious about helping troubleshoot - are there unused apps you’re willing to remove to free up storage space?

Would you check storage levels before and after recovering space and see if that makes a difference?

I removed several apps earlier today wondering same - that didnt solve the issue though i am unsure how much space I actually freed up