AppleTV problems with new update [1.13.0] [May 21 2021] [SOLVED]

all my apps use less than 3GB in total - 2.2GB for Zwift alone

@shooj - this may be interesting- I can also replicate this experience (with my non-working ATV). Good spot @SQR !
I can get Zwift to load if I dial down the ATV resolution to 480p or 576p (but then much of the Zwift screen real estate is off the screen). As soon as I set the res up again to anything higher than the above, I get the same crash behaviour (even on 720p, 1080, etc.).

Following up the app space question - my non-working ATV has pretty much nothing else on it apart from Zwift.

1 Like

@v_c1

That is interesting. I’ve passed that along to the team.

Will have to check when I get back, but I’m positive I’m not using much disk space or apps.

I will check my configured resolution and play with that as I think that might be key. I know at the moment it’s set at 4K. I think setting lower resolution might be a temporary fix if I suspect something.

DITTO here… I downgrade reso to 480p and it works… but up to 4K and no go

1 Like

Another variable that Zwift HQ has no way of knowing is the TV or monitor being used. There are specific technologies around picture and sound signal processing that may be affecting some users, but not others.

Hi @SQR welcome to the Zwift forums. Wish it were under happier circumstances.

About your Configuration Two TV: What make & model is it? Specifically, we want to find out

1. If your TV has eARC
    Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

as well as

1. what is your audio setup for your Config Two ATV. What audio hardware is in the chain, is it all hardwired, or are there wireless components in the mix? Please be as specific with make & model as you’re willing to be, thanks.

I have exactly the same issue. I have three Apple TV hockey pucks, I call them, and Zwift works on two of them but not on the one that I use all the time and just upgraded.

Interestingly, when I switch out the non-functional for functional Apple TV unit it still doesn’t work in my gym. However, the nonfunctioning gym unit works OK up in the living room. I think the only difference is there is an ethernet cable to the living room Apple TV and I use Wi-Fi for the gym Apple TV. Nevertheless rebooted Wi-Fi, router etc. and no luck.

ADDENDUM: It appears to be the selected resolution of the monitor itself in the ATV menu. I selected 480p and it worked. No higher resolutions worked however and I got the Z blue screen and crash.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

@shooj - I was able to replicate that app launches with 480p resolution. I had no time to test all options, but at least for me 4K, 1080p and 720p didn’t work. After going back to 4K from 480p app crashed again at launch. My HDMI cable passes Apple TV test for 4K and should be good quality.

I have Xcode on my Mac, so I can get more Apple TV logs to you if that’s helpful. Just specify which options like resolution etc to apply. Can’t spend hours, but happy to provide some assistance if you still have problems to replicate at zwift.

My Zwift TV is Panasonic TX-40HX820E 40" 4K Ultra HD Smart LED, nothing else than Apple TV connected to it (no even TV cable).

I’m on a Sony XBR950h - it is 6 months old
i don’t use the HDMI ARC or eARC - just regular HDMI input from the ATV
audio is just optical-out from TV to my set-up
hope that helps :grinning:

I believe that is the problem. Choosing the resolution on the Apple TV itself causes the program to crash if it’s above 480 P.

1 Like

Tomorrow I’ll try to launch Zwift hdmi cable disconnected and get logs to see if it still crashes with higher resolutions. Crazy how much we troubleshoot for Zwift… I guess we are addicted :wink:

Hi Folks. I finally got Zwift to load on my Apple TV 4K unit. There was one change I made in the Settings on the Apple TV 4k unit and that was to the Audio. My initial setting was Dolby Atmos and I changed it just to Stereo. WALA back in business.

I hope someone else try this and it works for them.

Best of luck and ride on.

9 Likes

GREAT CATCH DAVID

Audio output - turned off Dolby Atmos and it seems fine - gets me to the login screen at least
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS???

1 Like

YES! Change from Dolby Atmos to stereo allows Zwift to load. Good catch @David_Kalinka !
@shooj, it seems we may have workaround while zwift team.fixes the bug.

1 Like

Regarding Dolby Atmos turned off, was your resolution still at 4K or 1080p?

This IS THE ISSUE! I just turned off Dolby Atmos and it WORKED! Great catch!!! Make sure the moderator knows this

1 Like

4K @Robert_Velez

My Screen resolution is 1080p

IT WORKED!! using 4K resolution, 1st gen ATV, and kickr bike. Now I need to confirm that the new world loaded.

Thank you to all the people on this forum putting their energy into solving this issue!

Now we wait for the next update and I’ll wait a few weeks before installing it.

3 Likes

Wow great catch everyone! Will try this when I get home after work. Getting excited just to hit the trainer for this!