AppleTV and ANT+

Can you use the USB-C connection on the back of the AppleTV for the ANT+ connector? 

No, You would need something like CABLE to bridge the signal.

I have an Apple tv 4K and a N.P.E Cable… not the easiest thing to do… You need an Apple phone or IPad to Sync to the CABLE… But no real instructions to make this work… It is a nightmare…

It’s unfortunate that you’ve had a tough experience with the CABLE.  My experience has been different.  You do need an iOS device to set up the CABLE initially, and to perform periodic firmware updates as they are released.  But once the setup is done, you don’t need to use the CABLE Config app each time you ride.

The initial setup involves scanning for your ANT+ sensors, selecting the sensors, then saving the settings to the CABLE.

When pairing devices in Zwift, just choose the CABLE for whichever sensors it is bridging (HRM, cadence, footpod, whatever).  Zwift will remember these settings, so all you have to do for future rides is start Zwift, wake up your sensors, tap the CABLE to wake it up, and enjoy the ride.

The device should ship with instructions, and I think the instructions on the NPE website were made more prominent with the CABLE site redesign a few months ago.
http://npe-inc.com/cableinfo/2017/08/08/comprehensive-setup-guide/

I have a follow-up question about Zwift pairing screen on Apple TV with NPE Cable device.   All sensors are paired with CABLE except the controllable trainer.  I cannot switch to anything but Wahoo Kicker.   Is this correct?   There are enough BT inputs on Apple TV to set it this way.  Attached is a photo of my pairing screen.

Also, having a hard time getting my Garmin cadence sensor to remain paired with CABLE.  wonder what sensors you’ve found to be best with your CABLE setup.

thanks

Hi David, you could pair both the Power Source and the Controllable Trainer directly to the Kickr Snap.   It’s still one BT connection to the smart trainer, but with multiple services (one for power and one for control) on that connection.

I have an old Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor and a Garmin HRM.  I link these to the CABLE and then use that for pairing HRM and Cadence to Zwift.  I have a Magnus trainer [but I’ve also done the same with a friend’s Snap trainer] which I pair directly to Zwift on the AppleTV for Power Source and Controllable Trainer.  (again, still one connection to the trainer but with multiple services.)
[and I know the Magnus now offers cadence, but I’m still sticking with the physical sensor, partly because I already had it set up…and I guess for now I prefer a magnet over math.]

As for your cadence sensor not remaining paired with the CABLE, I have not run into that.  I’ve been using the CABLE for over a year and have not had any issues.  The only time the CABLE has not seen my sensor is when the sensor is not awake.  But once I have added the sensors to the CABLE, it remembers them.

Ride on!

1 Like

Phil,

Thanks so much for the suggestion.  Somehow I was under the impression that all Zwift pair should be through CABLE… Here’s my tally of inputs:

1a) HR monitor via CABLE

1b) Cadence via CABLE

1. Kickr smart trainer - both Pdirect to Apple TV

2. Apple remote control

So, I think I’m still short one BT to 

oops…hit send prematurely:

Thanks so much for the suggestion.  Somehow I was under the impression that all Zwift pair should be through CABLE… Here’s my tally of inputs:

1a) HR monitor via CABLE

1b) Cadence via CABLE

1. Kickr smart trainer - both POWER SOURCE and CONTROLLABLE to Apple TV

2. Apple remote control

So, I think this WORKS!   

Thanks again… now I just need to get Cadence sensor to be robust, or swap for different cadence sensor…small change compared with using a PC to run Zwift.

No worries.  Good luck with the cadence sensor! 

Ride on!