Android Beta: Two devices connecting over Bluetooth

I tried wahoo HR monitor and Favero assioma duo powermeter and it works fine.
Phone is Samsung Galaxy S9+

I think HR monitors connect fine. The problem arises when you split power meter away from ‘controllable’. E.g. you want to have your bike’s power meter as the provider of watts and the controllable smart trainer connected. In that scenario, Zwift reports that the power meter is disconnecting/has no data. If you then pair the smart trainer as both the power meter and the controllable, all is fine.

1 Like

Using my Quarq dzero for power / cad works fine stand alone. Once I pair my snap as a trainer, I loose signal on my power and cad. If I pair trainer first, then connect to power meter, the trainer shows no signal…

2 Likes

I could copy/paste your post and s/Vortex Smart/Elite Rampa/

Hoping for a fix for this, right now the only thing I can use Zwift for is recovery rides (where I don’t need accurate and repeatable power measurement).

Well, I have stopped using the Android version until the Ant+ support is sorted for Samsung. For me that is the fundamental issue. I’ve gone back to using the Garmin 1030 for my mandatory 2x20 FTP threshold rides because BLE was giving me problems.

Is the issue with pairing a separate power meter for power and a trainer for controllable fixed?

I logged a ticket with Zwift support and they advised that no-one else is having this problem. As soon as I try to connect both a power meter and trainer one reports “No signal”, I can have a power meter or a trainer connected but not both. I am 100% sure its not my setup since the same configuration works on Mac and Trainerroad mobile/desktop

I don’t know. I got fed up with the lack of progress with the Android app and reverted to using an old laptop. Zwift development team have odd development priorities. I would have thought that getting Ant+ working would take precedence over the items that they seem to focus on.

1 Like

This is exactly the problem I have.

I have dual-sided P1 pedals, and my H2 trainer. Depending on which I connect to first, the other then reports “No signal”. As a result, on Zwift using my tablet, I use only the H2 for power, cadence and controllable.

I suspect the problem is when multiple devices report the same thing - my right-side pedal battery ran out of charge on a ride this weekend, and Zwift completely lost connection to the H2 as cadence source. It didn’t even show in the list of sources. Had to finish my workout with the pedals as power and cadence source, no controllable.
Afterwards, when I quit Zwift and went back in, the H2 was available as cadence source again.

1 Like

i have always had this issues with the android app and remains the most annoying glitch!

if you pair a smart trainer you have to take everything from that, controllable, power and cadence.

If you pair a separate power meter you also have to pair that for cadence and cannot pair a trainer as well.

this has been an issue since the app launched and have not heard that anyone is working on a fix. It is quite annoying as my tacx flux is very bad at reporting accurate cadence so would be great to pair a cadence sensor.

If i want a separate power meter or cadence sensor i just use windows now.

1 Like

I have problems connecting two different devices to Zwift via Bluetooth. I would tell you what the devices are, what brand and model and also when they do and don’t connect but as you want me to pay you to do beta testing for you I’ll keep the info to myself.

In fact I’d recommend that everyone else does the same too.

but you have to pay anyway and you are making your own life worse so who exactly is winning?

Unfortunately Zwift refuse to acknowledge this is a Zwift issue. They insist it is a Bluetooth interference related issue. Sounds like they haven’t coded the Android app to deal with a different source of power and control.
I assume there are not many users using Android at the moment. I use an IMAC which is dependable but a real pain to setup before 5am in the morning.

Pity, as it is clearly not the case. Other training apps on the same tablet doesn’t have this problem. Heck, with Rouvy I can connect to my H2 trainer, and left and right P1 pedals independently, at the same time, and not only does it work just fine, I get L/R balance and other pedaling metrics.

The tablet is just so much more convenient for me than a dedicated PC.

1 Like

Sorry but you are IMHO entirely wrong and so are Zwift Inc.

Beta testing is a vital part of software development. Public betas especially so. However, how early you release software to public beta effects whether it is useable and therefore warrants being paid for.

Zwift for Android was released to public beta very early in its development cycle. It lacks many vital, core features and many of those present don’t function reliably if at all for most users. It doesn’t work at all on some of the most popular android hardware such as Samsung Galaxy tablets. Expecting people to pay full price to use something that doesn’t work is morally questionable and verging on fraud.

Zwift Inc will no doubt claim that your subscription allows you to use the app on any platform. Great if you have access to any platform. Personally I don’t. I have an android phone and an android tablet and that is it. Prior to zwift Android I had never been on the service. Zwift kind of works on my phone and absolutely doesn’t on my tablet. All my sensors are ant so I had to buy a new bluetooth HRM… which Zwift didn’t recognise. My phone sees it, all my fitness apps see and function with it, all of my other cycle software (Rouvy, Bkool trainer, trainer road, My etrainer) all see and function with the HRM, zwift doesn’t because it is not ready for market. So I bought a second bluetooth HRM, which works… sometimes. Once the software drops the link to my trainer, which it does every ride after around 30 minutes, it’s then almost impossible to reconnect the trainer and the HRM. It’s one or the other because the software is no where near ready for consumers.

All of my other cycling apps do not drop the trainer connection or have issues connecting to multiple devices.

I pay for those other softwares/services because they work. I don’t pay for Zwift and neither should anyone else on ‘Android’ because it doesn’t work. It is not ready for consumers and as a result they should not be expected to pay. Those who do are being taken advantage of and are being stupid. If you bought a car that stopped working after 30 mins on every drive, you’d take it back and demand a refund because it’s ‘not fit for purpose’. Zwift for Android is not fit for purpose and I will not pay Zwift to work for them.

This product at it’s current state of development should be a free beta (on Android only). They get help making it work, we get it to market on our preferred platform. That is how early beta testing is supposed to work. They win, I win.

Those that are paying to use zwift on android are being abused by Zwift Inc. They get your feedback, free, they get your, config info, for free and they get your money for a product that is ‘not fit for purpose’.

If you are stupid enough to pay for a poor, none functional product and to work for Zwift Inc then go ahead. I’m not and I’d recommend that others follow suit. Once Zwift for android is 90-95% functional and reliable, then a paid beta is appropriate. When it doesn’t work at all on most hardware, poorly on the majority of the rest, doesn’t have a full feature set and you have to buy extra equipment because of those deficiencies and failings of the system, paying adds insult to injury.

As good as Zwift is and as much as I want it on Android I’m not prepared to be taken advantage of. As soon as I don’t have to chase back on 2, 3, 4, 5 times because of its current abysmal bluetooth implementation then I’ll pay, until then it’s pants software and I am not a mug.

Don’t pay for this garbage.

1 Like

Look, don’t get me wrong, it annoys me no end on the rare occasion that I get a BT dropout during a workout.

But for me at least, on my Android tablet with my devices, Zwift actually works quite well. I didn’t have to buy a different HR strap, for example, mine (Wahoo Tickr) worked fine.
I’d LIKE to have the following:

• Be able to calibrate my trainer in Zwift (I have to use Rouvy)
  • Be able to use my pedals as power and cadence source, and trainer as controllable
  • Ant+ support
    But none of these are dealbreakers for me. I can ride, train and race, with very few problems.
    If my experience was as bad as yours, I’d just cancel my subscription and use any of the many other apps (I already pay for Rouvy).

They definitely need to improve their bluetooth/sensor stack though, as there are too many issues with HR straps, power meters and trainers.

It would be interesting to know the number of Android Zwift users, and which devices are being used.

Hi have the same issue with my garmin speed and cadence sensor 2 speed connects then cadence have no signal same when u connect cadence then speed has no signal but rider moves when speed sensor works

definitely with you on your second point - i have mentioned it in many other threads but doesn’t seem like it’ll ever be a priority.

problem is my tacx flux is really off for cadence so a seperate sensor is needed - but for now i just randomly pedal at 180 rpm from time to time!

OP6 running latest updates w/ANT+ services installed would only detect 2 out 3 of Wahoo devices during my last Zwift session. Tickr, Speed, Cadence… I opted to ditch the cadence, but it would be nice to have.

I use the same phone with the Zwift Companion app when I run the Zwift application on my Windows computer, so it’s weird that it fails to detect everything.

Otherwise it was a very smooth experience and more convenient than using my old tower. Great work! thumbs up

I’m using a Tacx Vortex (that I would like to use as controllable trainer) and a Poweramp P1S (that for a question of consistency I would like to use as Power source). However zwift only can connect to one of them, in spit of my smartphone could find the two.

yeah - this is the main reason i don’t use the android version very often - it is either trainer or powermeter - not both