8 speed on elite suito?

Hi all I am considering an elite suito trainer and want to put my old bike on it which is 8 speed. 1 is this possible 2 what is the best way of doing it spacer vs change freehold?
Sorry if this question has been asked before and thanks in advance :+1:

Modern direct drive trainers come with 11 speed hubs.

An older road bike or hybrid bike with a 7/8/9/10/11 speed cassette will work. A cassette with eight to ten cogs requires a spacer on the eleven speed hub used on modern wheel-off trainers (probably included with the trainer).

Hubs that accept a Shimano 11 speed cassette will also accept Shimano 7, 8, 9, or 10 speed cassettes and shifting should work fine with the proper spacer in place on the hub. The 8 speed should, if I recall correctly, need a 1.85 mm spacer.

Thanks Steve that is great I will go ahead and get it ordered :+1:

Perhaps over-explaining things …

To confirm the details – you’ll want an additional 8 speed cassette to install on the trainer, and leave it on there. Before you slip the cassette onto the trainer hub, you slip on the spacer. The spacer adjusts the width of the 8 speed cassette to fit the width of the 11 speed hub.

You can be certain that the length of your bike chain and of your rear derailleur cage will work if you get the same cassette gearing that you have on your bike’s rear wheel.

Your current cassette might have an from 25 to 34 teeth on the big cog, and 11 to 13 on the small, as in 11-28T, 11-30T, 11-32T, 11-34T, 12-25T, or 13-26T. If you get a larger big cog, you might need a longer chain, if not a longer cage derailleur.

We used an 8 speed bike/cassette on a Wahoo KICKR for over a year. It worked fine.

Thanks Steve, my plan is to use the cassette off the bike as I no longer use the bike on the road and I will leave it set up…just don’t tell the wife!! :rofl:

Well the trainer has arrived took the cassette off the bike and fitted it with the 2 spacers that came with the trainer fits like a dream indexing perfectly…well chuffed :blush:

1 Like