1989 Graphics Why!

I guess that was the purpose, like all movies on VHS in the 80’s

From you tube VHS Movie - Back to the 80s - Road Trip USA 1985 - San Francisco und Los Angeles Hollywood

Well, I enjoyed it, riding the PRL Half today in well over 2 hours.

But my paincave has a 46" TV with only FullHD, no 4k, so I just barely saw a bit of difference :rofl:

1 Like

Riding in a meetup everything was normal except for the bike.

I just finished a run and I thought it was cool and so did my wife. We could not figure out why people were complaining about and the few reports of people saying it made them sick. I get dizzy a lot and this had no effect on me in that regards.

Keep the kits and make the overlay an option so we can have some variety.

Fine for me … quite enjoyed the nostalgia factor.

Is it the case that the effect was a lot more pronounced on bigger and/or higher resolution screens? I am using a bog-standard 15" 1920x1080 laptop screen and the effect was definitely noticeable without being nauseating.

See the screenshot, i am unable to change the bike (stuck with an efin steel frame) and neither can i change the jersey too. How do i fix this?
Oh, and there is this “REC” tag that is not usually there… there aren’t any updates available for my iPad.

April fools!!!

2 Likes

Thanks Mike…i have literally spent the past hour trying to figure this out.
Well @zwift this is NOT funny.

1 Like

Zwift claims another victim :smiling_imp:

:ride_on:

2 Likes

I just finished up my stage 5 race and thought the 1989 graphics was awesome. I feel for the people that may have had issues and the hack to join and quit worked (looked like a one time login deal). Maybe they could have publicized how to quit. All in all I think you have to know during special days there will be something. This is a thumbs up for effort and I for one liked it.

3 Likes

I fully agree with this.
Just a stupid action.
Zwift stop with fooling your paying customers.

2 Likes

It was not funny at all.
I pay 15 euro per month and I want Zwift to take me seriously every day of the year.
This was just a stupid action.

2 Likes

I pay the same, and I want Zwift to continue having a sense of fun and playfulness. We’ve had these little gags every year since 2015, and it’s something I look forward to.

Here’s one from Hallowe’en 2015:

It’s part of Zwift tradition, and it’ll be a sad say when they become too corporate to be whimsical.

5 Likes

ride more, complain less :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It may be a small thing, but the April 1st graphics thing totally hacked me off! Think of some better ‘jokes’ next year please.

I took my first look at Zwift yesterday and was a bit puzzled why I couldn’t change my outfit and everything had an odd filter. Now it makes sense.

While the filter undoubtedly caused problems for a lot of users (I work in web accessibility and this sort of thing is quite serious; a bit of a misfire without an obvious opt-out option), I think the overall playfulness and whimsy is great.

That Hallowe’en skeletal style is awesome. I’d happily run with that effect every day of the year!

1 Like

I know where to come when I have a11y questions! :smiley:

But you are of course correct, and I’ve said similar things regarding contrast, and in-game UI before. An opt-out makes complete sense. I’ts one thing some people having a huff because they just don’t like it, but quite another if it genuinely causes someone else not to be able to use the game.

1 Like

I logged on, realised what was going on then did what I’d planned to.

Didn’t find it distracting and I’m not sure how anybody with photosensitive issues would have been unduly affected.

It’s for one day and given the current climate a spot of light relief was more than welcome.

I think some people need to lighten up a little.

7 Likes

it was a very bad idea …
the april fool should just be funny without diminishing the experience that we expect and we paid for.

I lost 30 minutes of my time resetting all my device and network thinking it was on my side…

I think we need an official excuse from Zwift management !

Very bad time… I hope you got your lesson and never do stupid thing like that again !

I think we should have an official excuse of the Zwift Management please !

Initially wasnt a fan, but whatever still did my workout on what I thought was my tarmac pro as I was doing the everything bagel (went to switch bikes). It was actually not that bad, and I loved the ride one flashing on screen.

Ended up finishing average of over 30km/hr, and the blurriness was meh whatever.

Its 1 day from a 366 day year. Zwift has been very good to ensure the system can handle the number of riders that have been on lately, and have pumped events out. I just got off the Mark Cavendish ride this morning (west coast, Canada) and it was very good. Plus Haute Route coming up.

I know it’s a trying time for everyone, but I feel in a month or two when people look back they will realize how small picture this is. While ot might have been an inconvenience to some, it might have been an uplift to someone else.

2 Likes