Zwift on New AppleTV 4K

I’m not expecting any significant jump in performance either.

With yesterday’s announcement of a new remote for the latest Apple TV 4K, it is no longer feasible to support only the black Siri remote. Time to support alternatives. Please add support for either a keyboard/trackpad remote or one of the video game remotes already supported by Apple.

4 Likes

how far behind do you get changing from road bike to mountain bike on any route containing the jungle circuit, when using the apple tv remote ?

Depends how fast you are with the remote. I think it takes me about 10 seconds.

With launch of a new version of Apple TV 4K in May 2021 with an A12 Bionic chip - hoping that Zwift will support a version that will provide a version for this platform that provides a higher setting for graphic fidelity; hopefully, the it can run something higher than the BASIC profile.

On a 2020 Ipad Pro (Bionic A12Z) it runs with Basic profile in 1080p and stable 30fps… so do not dream…

Andras do you think this is due to processor power reasons or ease of implementation for a wide spectrum of Apple iPhone/iPad hardware. I see a number of mobile games running what appears to be higher video fidelity than Zwift…

The GPU in the Apple TV 2021 doesn’t appear much faster than the Apple TV 4K GPU (some benchmarks on other devices even have it slower).

So I wouldn’t hold your breath.

The main problem is the Zwift own graphic engine, they didnt licence an Unreal 4.0 (or similar “nextgen”-looking, fast, optimized one) engine, due to high cost when they started this project and they wrote an unoptimizied one and the app is still using it…

I think it will run @1080p Basic also with very stable 30fps with 1024x1024 textures (as i remember the old 4K runs perhaps with 512x512 but i’m not 100%sure)

Why do we have to even have to ask these questions, Zwift should be all over this ,
giving information .

1 Like

Are you new here?

6 Likes

No . Been Zwifting for years , just fed up that Zwift don’t seem to tell of upcoming improvements. What else do they do all day .

I know a few folks at Zwift on the engineering side as they use to work at EA (where I worked for a long time); you are correct they built their own engine, and I hear rumours of work being undertaken to upgrade it. Graphics improvements involve many aspects including texture size/resolution, anti-aliasing, shadows, foliage percentage, model detail (polygons), world detail (polygons), lighting, etc. It would be interesting to see how a new Apple TV runs at MEDIUM mode with perhaps some optimization tweaks to the engine.

2 Likes

The new remote may have a reduced tendency to get thrown in frustrated anger though, so that’s a benefit.

6 Likes

Would anyone be willing to share the specs for Zwift on Apple TV 4K that is soon to be released? Will it be able to run in ultra detail mode?

Much appreciated!

See Zwift on New AppleTV 4K

Absolutely not.

1 Like

Based on what I have read, the processor is not much more powerful than the current version. And considering that the present ATV runs the lowest graphics resolution Zwift offers, I doubt it will even come close to offering Ultra. I would guess it won’t even move to the next highest resolution from what is offered presently.

So, the advice is:
do not buy the ATV 6th generation (4k 2021), if you already have a 5th gen (4K 2017).
Unless you want the new remote. The question is: will the navigational buttons on the new remote work within Zwift?

1 Like