Zwift Crashing/Freezing Mid ride

Been having a few issues with Zwift crashing randomly on me during rides of various distances and I was hoping someone may have a solution, Ive had 8/9 random crashes in the past month.

I`m running windows 10 and have an updated 1070gtx card so no issues there, all updated with latest firmware and windows up to date.

By looking at both the zwift & windows logs below the zwift log looks like a net drop as UDP server prompts appear yet I assumed that when zwift lost the internet connection you just ride alone with no-one else on your route.

Any help on this would be very helpful as I`m debating in buying a Apple 4k box if its the PC or a new router if its the internet.

Thanks

Windows log shows

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zwift\ZwiftApp.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: ZwiftApp.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5e92f2bf
Hang Signature: 609f
Hang Type: 134217728
OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Zwift log shows

[14:45:29] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[14:45:30] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[14:45:31] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[14:45:32] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[14:45:33] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[14:45:34] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[14:45:35] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[14:45:38] NETCLIENT:[INFO] Sending telemetryā€¦

[14:45:38] NETCLIENT:[INFO] UDP metrics {StC Rx: 696, Rx error: 0, CtS Tx: 189, Tx error: 0}

[14:45:55] NETCLIENT:[WARN] UDP connection timeout (1 so far), reconnection attempt 1

[14:45:55] NETCLIENT:[INFO] Connecting to UDP serverā€¦

Hi @Rob_B1

Welcome to the forum.

You can drop your log file into zwiftalizer.com and look if it is network issues.

Can you hard wire your PC to the router?

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply, plugged it in and it does look like a network issue (see pic below) the red error occurs at the exact time of the crash and log backup creation.

Imgur

Unfortunately I am unable to plug my pc directly into my router due to being in a different part of house however I have just added pinholes to the network config based on a zwift forum on the below that hopefully might assist. Can a network crash actually crash the application? I assumed as previously noted I just loose everyone in the world and am on my own?

ā€œrouter firewall should allow all incoming/outgoing Zwift TCP traffic on ports 80 and 443 and all Zwift incoming UDP traffic on port 3022.ā€

I disconnect my network card all the time so I donā€™t think network issues can crash Zwift.

What else do you have running while you are using Zwift?

1 Like

Literally nothing on the PC, maybe chrome but i`ll often reboot before a zwift session just to clear the cache to help there not being any issues, ive just ordered a better wireless dongle to see if that helps abit. If you disconnect your network card is that during a zwift course?

Yep, I disconnect while riding and reconnect after a short time (not going to get into why I do it).

Not sure how you are connecting (ANT+ or BLE) but if you are using a dongle there could be an issue with it.

1 Like

Im using this dongle

Wahoo Snap, Wahoo HRM & Wahoo Cadence all going to this device with companion also. I wonder if your right and the bluetooth could be crashing the app

1 Like

If possible I would switch to an ANT+ dongle with a USB extension, and for the sensors that are just BLE I would use the ZCA to bridge the connection.

I did have this issue before moving to Apple TV. Apple tv isnā€™t the be all and end all, but its close I guess. Reason being limited bt connections and in my experience companion is flaky and a bit of a fiddle to setup.

My apply mac pro crashed mid ride due to processor over heating. Although the graphics card was well within spec, for some reason the laptop would run hard. I did get around this by using a fan on the laptop, but the apple tv seemed like a better and cheaper alternative.

good luck.

Any assistance on this would be useful as Iā€™m bantering in purchasing an Apple 4k box if its the PC or another switch if its the web.

Whats the issue for you?

Hi Rob,

Are you still running smoothly since your graphics driver update? Iā€™m having the same issue you were with the below issues coming up in my logs before crashing:

[16:23:04] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[16:23:12] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[16:23:13] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[16:23:14] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[16:23:15] BLE : Crank power 3sec timeout

[16:23:19] NETCLIENT:[INFO] Failed one leg latency threshold test. [min: 1659, avg: 1677, max: 1696, n: 2]

[16:23:19] NETCLIENT:[INFO] UDP metrics {StC Rx: 940, Rx error: 0, CtS Tx: 174, Tx error: 0}

[16:23:19] NETCLIENT:[INFO] Sending telemetryā€¦

Iā€™m running Windows 10 with an Intel(R) UHD Graphics card built in to my laptop (with the driver up to date). RAM is 8GB, so all spec should be enough to run Zwift but Iā€™m getting Bluetooth error messages like yours. I have a Wahoo Kickr Core, and am using a Bluetooth 4.0 adapter with a USB extension so itā€™s closer to the trainer.

Some days Zwift can run without freezing mid ride at all, some days I canā€™t even get through to load up the game without a crash, and some days it will crash mid ride. Iā€™ve found that on my last few rides Zwift will crash 5 mins or so in with the Crank Power message, but if I restart the computer and try again, it then runs fine.

Last note is that I find Zwift generally crashes on group rides (checked my FPS on Zwiftalizer and numbers are ok and average around 45fps per ride). Couple of screenshots from my Zwiftalizer from my previous crashes.

If you anyone can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated.

N.B. I just did a firmware update on my laptop, so that may resolve the issue but will report back over the next few days to see if issue persists.

Thanks,
Ross

Hi Ross, I have`nt had any crashes since the change. I noticed in your issues you mention ā€œIā€™ve found that on my last few rides Zwift will crash 5 mins or so in with the Crank Power message, but if I restart the computer and try again, it then runs fine.ā€ now this was exactly the same for me suggesting GPU issue especially if yours is more likely during group rides.

Hopefully your updates you mentioned will sort your issue. have you checked the windows error in the log as it may provide some more information?

Rob

1 Like

Hi Rob,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Apologies, Iā€™m not particularly techy - what do you mean by the Windows error in the log?

Thanks,
Ross

Hi,

If you go to your windows 10 start bar and type Maintenance, check under Security and Maintenance and you will find the reliability log. The red X shows a critical activity and if you look back it will show what windows advised when zwift went down. check back on your zwift log to get the timestamp and it may give you further info.

You can also type ā€œevent viewerā€ into start and review - windows log - application to see against zwift.
path below if you have trouble finding it.
Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance\Reliability Monitor

Cheers

Rob

2 Likes

Thanks Rob,

I see my crashes now. Every time I got a combination of ZwiftApp.exe has stopped responding and closed with the following:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: ZwiftApp.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5eab4e52
Hang Signature: a464
Hang Type: 134217728
OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Hang Signature 1: a464541b280f2546ca5735344bb734f4
Additional Hang Signature 2: 7c7f
Additional Hang Signature 3: 7c7fde30d0719dbcfab90b9b245bfd15
Additional Hang Signature 4: a464
Additional Hang Signature 5: a464541b280f2546ca5735344bb734f4
Additional Hang Signature 6: 7c7f
Additional Hang Signature 7: 7c7fde30d0719dbcfab90b9b245bfd15

Plus I also get a Windows ā€˜Hardware Errorā€™ with the following:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffb609efa29010
Parameter 2: fffff80558bc2e10
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 6dc
OS version: 10_0_18363
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057

Really appreciate the time and help given, Rob.

Thanks,
Ross

The LiveKernelEvent error suggests driver issue, if it continues after your updates I would suggest completely removing and - reinstalling your GPU drivers, you can find out your GPU by inputting system information to the start bar and then components then Display, on the right it wil advise if NVIDIA/AMD etc

You can then uninstall by device manager and then download from the manufactures website to get latest drivers, id also uninstall / reinstall zwift aswell just to be safe.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Hi Rob,

This morning I uninstalled Zwift and my Graphics Driver, checked for windows updates, then reinstalled the graphics drivers again along with Zwift, replicating your method of approach which worked for you.

Iā€™m jumping on the bike later, so will see how it fares and report back.

Thanks again Rob.

Ross

Hi Rob,

Managed to do a 2hr solo ride without crashes today, but only 30 mins into my group ride same issue, Zwift freezes and says ā€˜cannot respondā€™. Zwiftalizer log below, and also checked and still getting LiveKernelEvent.

I unistalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers, so Iā€™m sort of at a loss now as to how to fix this issue.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Ross

Hi Ross,

Have only just seen this message, how is it going now? same issues only when in group rides?

Rob