Zwift branding getting it wrong… with the new font (a letter lost in this forum from a user, but also designer)

This was my thought too. I mentioned it elsewhere on the forum.

I think the Queen saw this font and that tipped her over the edge. =(

2 Likes

Well its not Times New Roman which I always thought of as a font with an Eton accent.

WingDings might be fun.

2 Likes

…but the new font is #1 (or is it #7?) with the California cool crowd :wink:

Zwift stole the K from Kask

3 Likes

Holy mother of god this font is borderline at best, and certainly not an improvement (IMHO). It looks like a Star Trek TNG font. Way too hard to read numbers, and the spacing on ATV is just… weird. I honestly thought it was a joke at first and expected to see everyone on flying scooters.

I will say it does look crisper, so that’s a plus — but functionally a step back in my opinion. Maybe zwift should sell font packs for drops.

1 Like

Has anyone who says the 1 and 7 look the same actually seen them side by side?

Sure, the 1 looks weird but it doesn’t look at all like the 7.

2 Likes

The 7 looks a lot different than the 1 in this font (and is quite obviously a 7), but the 1 in this font looks like it could be a 7 if you don’t see them next to each other, or if you’re quickly glancing.

I personally didn’t have an instance where I was confused (pretty sure I can tell the difference in effort between a 150W and 750W effort for instance), but I do think tweaking the 1 would help allay a bit of confusion from quick glances.

1 Like

The new font is jarring and far less usable for glance value. Better suited for just the name of the App, not the in game UI. Would prefer with a choice to switch back via settings or just going back to the old font.

This should have been one of those topics you guys run through the focus groups you have for informed feedback ahead of the change. I’m on that list and haven’t seen anything about a UI redesign with a new font.

Some people might not mind it and it won’t stop me from using zwift but…is that the bar you all are going for? We’ve got you hooked now watch while we make some really asinine design choices.

4 Likes

I could not agree more on the font. It’s a horrible design choice for anything other than headings (where one might want a specific font for branding purposes). However, to use this throughout is just poor design. I defy anyone to read a document using this font and try to quickly understand what is being communicated. More to the point, it’s so bad that on a typical chatty group ride this morning, trying to keep up was starting to give me a headache and I finally gave up and turned off the Heads Up Display to just remove all that from the screen.

Zwift, I BEG you to please choose a more readable font for general text use.

3 Likes

You make a joke…but it’s a serious point the op makes. Dismissing his concerns out of hand is pretty rude.

2 Likes

To be fair, it was an extremely sarcastic post.

I’ve raised his concerns within our team who are looking into it.

4 Likes

The new font is very ugly. I don’t know how anyone could possibly consider it to be an improvement.

Shocked that Gerrie is in here defending a clear error from Zwift. Could not have guessed.

5 Likes

I am using Zwift for a few years now and despite what some people claim, I believe it mostly delivers a good experience. Overall, I am happy that things are mostly changing for the better and Zwift is adding features.
However, with the change of font it became really hard to use it.I don’t want to go to beauty/ugliness of the font.
The issue is mainly 1 thing:monospacing of numbers (or rather lack of it).
Constant shifting numbers left and right is causing nausea when you look at the screen (times and especially wattage in HUD). Previous font was not completely monospace for numbers but was much closer to it so the effect was minimal. This one has very different widths of each number which causes text to shift all the time.
Everything else could somehow still be bearable, but this is a real issue that I cannot get around :frowning:
Please have a look what can be done to stop constant left/right movement of the text in HUD.

7 Likes

I’m not so sure he’s defending an error.

He’s expressed his opinion on a subjective issue.

He does actually concur that there could be an issue with a 1 and a 7.

I personally like it. That’s my opinion and is not said as a statement of my feelings about Zwift as a whole.

1 Like

I don’t love it, I don’t think it looks great in small size - but it’s fine.

First ride with the new font yesterday. It’s awful. Very difficult to read. 1 looks like a 7. Change back please. :grinning:

4 Likes

All the talk about a font change, I never noticed it. If anything, and I can’t explain why, words and numbers have appeared more readable lately. Maybe that’s an effect of a new font, maybe not. Couldn’t hazard a guess one way or another. I can say, based on experience, that any change brings out the naysayers. Every time. That’s something you can take to the bank.

Oh, and I paid careful attention today to sevens and ones. The sevens looked like sevens. The ones looked like ones. Every time. Without exception.

3 Likes