Workout Mode Question

(Douglas) #1

Quick question.

Does frame and wheelset matter when in workout mode?

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #2

Short answer is no. Workout mode is about watts and cadence and to a lesser extent HR.

This is just my opinion, but I think all works should be done on a TT bike so you don’t get any drafting benefit (or just get stuck on someones wheel).

(Douglas) #3

You cannot draft in workout mode though.

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #4

You don’t see the draft indicator, but you can draft. I have had more than a few Zwifters in workout mode stuck to my wheel while they are in ERG mode.

(Gerrie) #5

Yes and No.

No - Your workout will just be as hard on any bike wit any set of wheels on any course.

Yes - With a fast bike your speed will be higher and you will cover more distance.

But a workout is about hitting your target power and cadence, so bike,wheels and route should not be the focus.

(Douglas) #6

Thanks Gerrie. That’s what I was after. So if I’m riding a Zwift Aero and Enve 3.4’s I will get the benefit of the aero and weight vs riding the standard zwift carbon and carbon 32’s? I understand the watts and cadence part, but it just seemed to me that I would put out the same watts no matter what but was thinking if you have a better aero and weight bike you would travel further with a little less effort to stay at target watts and cadence.

(Kirsten) #7

Have had more than a few zwifters stuck in my wheel enjoying the draft while I’m working hard in ERG mode too :smile:

(Lin) #8

As @Douglas_Barton said, I am pretty sure that if you are in workout mode, you cannot draft anyone. No draft. No powerups. But, others can draft you assuming they are not in workout mode.

(Gerrie) #9

I do agree doing a workout you don’t get the draft effect. But others can draft you , like a TT bike.

(Paul Allen (Watopia Wayfinder)) #10

Sorry Lin, but that is 100% incorrect. While in workout mode you do get a draft benefit, I have seen it many times and others have reported experiencing it while in workout mode. You will not see the draft indicator, but you are getting a draft benefit.

I ride on a TT bike an have seen people in workout mode get stuck to my wheel and draft.

Sorry @Gerrie_Delport_TeamZ but you are also wrong. Just because there is no drafting indicator does not mean they are not drafting. I have seen it more times then I can count. I have passed people in WOM in ERG and they end up stuck on my wheel, that seems like a clear indication that there is a drafting benefit.

That is why I would like to see ALL workouts done on a TT bike.

I think it was @Jim_Mattson who says he has experienced the draft effect while in WOM.

(Gerrie) #11

@Paul_Allen you know I have to go and test it now LOL. I don’t really focus on drafting while I do a workout, i am so focus to hit those numbers.

(Kirsten) #12

It’s easy to see
If the avatar is down in the drops while doing a workout and someone passes you, he sits up. A clear indicator that you’re enjoying the draft of the rider in front of you at that particular time.
I’ve seen it multiple times, so yes, if you’re doing a workout, your speed can be influenced by drafting.

But then again, why care? Workouts are all about Watts and optionally Cadence. Speed is irrelevant. It’s like when you do a workout in real life and can have wind coming from either side influencing your speed. The only number that matters is how many Watts you are generating.

(Douglas) #13

I’m really not looking at if I can draft or not in workout mode. I’m also not looking to have an easier workout. My question is:
So if I’m riding a Zwift Aero and Enve 3.4’s I will get the benefit of the aero and weight vs riding the standard zwift carbon and carbon 32’s? I understand the watts and cadence part, but it just seemed to me that I would put out the same watts no matter what but was thinking if you have a better aero and weight bike you would travel further and climb with a little less effort to stay at target watts and cadence.

(Gerrie) #14

Your effort will be exactly the same no matter which bike you ride. 300w is 300w. but your avatar will go a bit faster.

(Kirsten) #15

Exactly that

(Kirsten) #16

Now if only I could hold 300W :hot_face:

(Lin) #17

@Paul_Allen :thinking: Now i’ll have to test it! :smile:

I rarely use workout mode. Also, I have been on the Tron bike forever which does not change positions unless sprinting. I am probably wrong, but I swear I read something posted by Zwift that said no draft when in workout mode.

edit addition:
You can’t draft (but others can draft you). :man_shrugging:t2:

(Jim) #18

You can’t believe everything you read on the Internet. As the proverb goes, “trust, but verify.”

(Lin) #19

Isn’t that the truth! :rofl: