Workout Mode Question

Quick question.

Does frame and wheelset matter when in workout mode?

Short answer is no. Workout mode is about watts and cadence and to a lesser extent HR.

This is just my opinion, but I think all works should be done on a TT bike so you don’t get any drafting benefit (or just get stuck on someones wheel).

You cannot draft in workout mode though.

1 Like

You don’t see the draft indicator, but you can draft. I have had more than a few Zwifters in workout mode stuck to my wheel while they are in ERG mode.

2 Likes

Yes and No.

No - Your workout will just be as hard on any bike wit any set of wheels on any course.

Yes - With a fast bike your speed will be higher and you will cover more distance.

But a workout is about hitting your target power and cadence, so bike,wheels and route should not be the focus.

2 Likes

Thanks Gerrie. That’s what I was after. So if I’m riding a Zwift Aero and Enve 3.4’s I will get the benefit of the aero and weight vs riding the standard zwift carbon and carbon 32’s? I understand the watts and cadence part, but it just seemed to me that I would put out the same watts no matter what but was thinking if you have a better aero and weight bike you would travel further with a little less effort to stay at target watts and cadence.

Have had more than a few zwifters stuck in my wheel enjoying the draft while I’m working hard in ERG mode too :smile:

As @Douglas_Barton said, I am pretty sure that if you are in workout mode, you cannot draft anyone. No draft. No powerups. But, others can draft you assuming they are not in workout mode.

1 Like

I do agree doing a workout you don’t get the draft effect. But others can draft you , like a TT bike.

Sorry Lin, but that is 100% incorrect. While in workout mode you do get a draft benefit, I have seen it many times and others have reported experiencing it while in workout mode. You will not see the draft indicator, but you are getting a draft benefit.

I ride on a TT bike an have seen people in workout mode get stuck to my wheel and draft.

Sorry @Gerrie_Delport but you are also wrong. Just because there is no drafting indicator does not mean they are not drafting. I have seen it more times then I can count. I have passed people in WOM in ERG and they end up stuck on my wheel, that seems like a clear indication that there is a drafting benefit.

That is why I would like to see ALL workouts done on a TT bike.

I think it was @Jim_Mattson who says he has experienced the draft effect while in WOM.

@Paul_Allen you know I have to go and test it now LOL. I don’t really focus on drafting while I do a workout, i am so focus to hit those numbers.

1 Like

It’s easy to see
If the avatar is down in the drops while doing a workout and someone passes you, he sits up. A clear indicator that you’re enjoying the draft of the rider in front of you at that particular time.
I’ve seen it multiple times, so yes, if you’re doing a workout, your speed can be influenced by drafting.

But then again, why care? Workouts are all about Watts and optionally Cadence. Speed is irrelevant. It’s like when you do a workout in real life and can have wind coming from either side influencing your speed. The only number that matters is how many Watts you are generating.

1 Like

I’m really not looking at if I can draft or not in workout mode. I’m also not looking to have an easier workout. My question is:
So if I’m riding a Zwift Aero and Enve 3.4’s I will get the benefit of the aero and weight vs riding the standard zwift carbon and carbon 32’s? I understand the watts and cadence part, but it just seemed to me that I would put out the same watts no matter what but was thinking if you have a better aero and weight bike you would travel further and climb with a little less effort to stay at target watts and cadence.

Your effort will be exactly the same no matter which bike you ride. 300w is 300w. but your avatar will go a bit faster.

1 Like

Exactly that

Now if only I could hold 300W :hot_face:

@Paul_Allen :thinking: Now i’ll have to test it! :smile:

I rarely use workout mode. Also, I have been on the Tron bike forever which does not change positions unless sprinting. I am probably wrong, but I swear I read something posted by Zwift that said no draft when in workout mode.

edit addition:
You can’t draft (but others can draft you). :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

You can’t believe everything you read on the Internet. As the proverb goes, “trust, but verify.”

1 Like

Isn’t that the truth! :rofl:

I’ve been curious about this. It certainly seems like there is a draft benefit during workouts, but Zwift support said there isn’t. So today I did a little experiment.

I don’t have an ANT+ simulator, so I created a workout: 200W for 10 minutes. Then I rode the Richmond Flat route with 1600 other Zwifters.

I did the workout twice. First I rode the Zwift TT bike with 808 wheels. I took a screen shot of the finishing arch on the TT bike workout.

Then I rode the Zwift Aero, also with 808 wheels. Started from the same point - within a meter or two. Here’s a screen shot taken as I was approaching the point where the finishing arch was for the workout on the TT bike. You can see I’ve got 39 seconds remaining in the workout.

It’s clear that drafting does happen in workout mode. It doesn’t make the workout any easier. And you don’t really have any control over staying in a draft since it’s not possible to adjust speed in a wattage defined ERG workout. But the draft is there, and if there are riders around, then you will go faster and further.

4 Likes