Why is there no 10s avg. power option?

Hi Zwift

I’ve read the numerous posts made in this forum (under the feature request category) regarding the need for a 10s avg. power option in Zwift during training sessions.

I wholeheartedly concur, and am saddened to see that despite many requests (some dating back to 2016) such a feature has not been implemented (unless I’m blind and have simply not found the setting, in which case I do apologise for this unnecessary post).

I feel this is a much-needed feature without which most power meters are just too erratic in their outputs to be of use in training. I currently use the 3s avg. power setting, which is better than nothing but, as mentioned above, is not enough.

Please please please Zwift consider implementing a 10s average power setting.

Thanks and Kind Regards

HMC

Haroon, I am not Zwift. But I wonder if there could be a setting which you may be missing somewhere, or if there is an issue with your power meter? Here is a power chart of my workout in ERG mode. One can barely see the noise on this line.

If you do not use ERG mode, then even elite athletes would not be able to maintain a steady power, there is a lot of natural fluctuations because of terrain.

You’d like an option for HUD customization, which has been a moderately popular request for years.

I’d be surprised if we got HUD customization until after Zwift develops and releases Zwift 2.0. The original version does not seem to be ready to take on features like this. And we’ve got no evidence that Zwift is working on 2.0.

Meanwhile, you can get that 10 second power by using a separate bike computer, either a dedicated device from Garmin, Wahoo, Karoo, etc., or an app like Cyclemeter on a mobile phone.

@Andrei_Istratov

The trainer you have display the target power and not the actual power that is why it is so flat. If you record your power with a second power meter you will see the noise.

Gerrie, this graph does not show the target power. It is my actual measured power during workout in ERG mode, recorded into .fit file, uploaded to TrainingPeaks, and graphed using WKO5 software.

If I had turned off the ERG mode, I would see significant power fluctuations in the same graph.

What trainer do you use. There is no way that a trainer can modulate the power to get a straight line.

Wahoo KICKR Bike. 3 seconds power smoothing.

Yeah, you definitely have the power smoothing option on (see Wahoo app to configure it). It basically means that the trainer reports the ERG mode target power instead of the actual power at any given time as long as you stay close enough to the target.

You may want to update the bike firmware. See this video showing the old firmware not reporting the power but the target.

It do not think that it reports the target. I can change it (for a very short time) if I want to, and if I stop pedaling for a second, there is a spike in the power curve. Firmware is current.

Anna is right, there are two smoothings going on in parallel, one one the trainer, the second one on Zwift. This is a recovery workout on the Sufferfest. No smoothing on the SUF, just Kickr Bike itself. A little more noise in this curve.

If we zoom in on the graph posted earlier, we also see noise in the data.

This is certainly not how the target looks like :slight_smile:

I think Wahoo did a very good job stabilizing the power in the ERG mode by instantly modulating the required torque to maintain wattage. But one should not discard smoothing either. If I were to turn off smoothing, the curve would be quite a bit noisier.

Having said that, I can imagine that it would be much more difficult to stabilize power readings if one uses an external power sensor, such as pedals. This is because this would require a feedback loop Pedals → connection interface (ANT+) → Zwift → connection interface → Controllable. I think a typical data exchange rate between Zwift and devices is once per second. A feedback through the loop like this could easily take a couple of seconds, whereas smart trainer which integrates power meter and controllable resistance can make adjustments almost instantly.

Thanks Steve. That’s in fact what I’m doing: relying on my Garmin for power data, not the readout on Zwift.

Thanks Andrei. Point noted. No ERG for me, because I forgot to mention that I’m not using a smart trainer. It’s a direct-drive trainer but has no interactive functions, i.e. is not controllable. My power meter is pedal-based.

Then it makes total sense. When I ride in Zwift as free ride (not a workout, no ERG mode) or as a race (obviously also without ERG mode), I typically see the range of power variability on the order of 100 watts, e.g., a chart may show a band between 200 and 300 watts. I read one can improve pwoer stability by developing pedaling skills. I suppose, if I had pedals with power meters (which I do not have), I would see the same power variability outdoors.

I have the impression that SUF does a better job smoothening the power readings during workouts without ERG than Zwift. I see much lower variability when I do their FTP test. Perhaps something for you to test, with your equipment. They have a free trial.