I would like to complete a 5-hour imperial century on Jan 22. I have completed many centuries, but general either largely in urban areas or gravel (realistically, lots of both). I’ve never raced bikes in a conventional sense, but I have a few KOMs to my name. The point of mentioning this is I am accustomed to pushing, and I’m familiar with the distance. However, I am not a particularly experienced Zwifter at level 14.
Tempus Fugit seems like an obvious choice for a course.
The bike choice is more difficult. If I prioritize it, I can probably get to level 18 and buy the Venge for my century, but I’m not sure I should. I’m 12 days out, so don’t want to be cooked going into it.
Right now I’ve got an Evo, which is a good climbing bike. More-or-less after smashing myself outside on the fat bike yesterday I did an hour and a half on the Evo and was able to keep pace. I did have a quick lunch in between though, so even though I didn’t really have fresh legs, I’m not exactly sure what it told me. This was my first time on Tempus Fugit. My hope had been to find out that I would always have groups to draft with. This turned out not to be the case, but I did catch a pace partner group for a bit. The time was a little bit close for comfort, particularly knowing that I might have to stop pedaling for a moment to avoid hitting a cat (this seems pretty unlikely as long as my wife doesn’t decide to camp out in the basement, but nonetheless, it’s something for which I need to prepare). In any event, I ended at 33.6 kph (32.2 is needed on event day).
I plan on doing a 4 hour zone 2 effort on Saturday. It’ll be earlier than ideal for speed, else one might think why not just put in the extra hour? It’s also possible I won’t be able to put in the full 4 hours. It depends on when my wife wants to go. She’s not an early riser though, so I think I’m safe.
The only TT bike I have is the Zwift TT bike. I don’t have the drops to get anything right now…well, maybe a wheelset, but I have the Zipp 808s. The wheel choice seems pretty obvious given my level.
I’m going to do an hour Zone 2 effort with the TT on Wednesday. I can report back the results.
I don’t have an external deadline. I was going to do the 5 hour century this weekend just and just go with what I could always try again later. However, my wife wanted me to do it on the 22nd instead, so that allows me to think about it a bit more. So, should I just put it off? My wife has a thing on the 29th, so that means I’m going to have to deal with the animals and the likelihood that they can not attempt to kill each other for five hours seems pretty low. The first weekend in February I probably have a work thing. Valentine’s Day is not big hear, but probably not a good idea to plan there. I’m planning to Everest on Feb 20. The weekend after Everesting I’m probably going to sell all of my bikes. The following week I’ll probably buy a different bike, but my wife’s schedule is not out yet for March, so that’s tough. At some point I’ll put Zwift on pause and do more outdoor riding, presumably. Not sure when. There’s always next year, I guess.
So, here are my questions:
- Should I just wait? That pretty much eliminates the other ones.
- Is the Venge going to be worth the extra miles on the leg going into Jan 22?
- Is there a different bike (or wheels) I should look at?
- TT bike or Evo?
- Anybody interested in riding with me? The plan is to start at 10am US Central on the 22nd. I’d be happy to return the favor at some point.