Watopia Expansion [October 2023]

ZHQ staff have said that it is completely random, and it may well be… but that doesn’t remove the possibility that certain individuals always receive the update in the very final wave.
I’m in the same boat as @Colin_Cadden: since the phased rollouts first started, I’ve checked my dedicated zwifting PC about four times a day across the rollout period (using the ‘Check for updates’ function of the Zwift launcher in the System tray) and every single time, it has only arrived at the point when Shuji posts his message in the Forums to say that all users have now received the update.
(It always arrives on my iPhone and iPad in the minutes following Shuji’s posts here to say it’s going live for Apple users, but I don’t use those devices for actually riding.)
It’s not the end of the world, of course, but it does feel like, somehow, I’m a second-class zwifter.

In some post a few months ago, a Zwift staffer posted to say that only a small number of users receive it on the first day, so maybe it’s a majority of users who see it arrive on the final day. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Aye. It could well be 2% on day 1, 5% on day 2, 10% on day 3 and the remainder on day 4 :joy:

1 Like

A release should be tested prior to being released so giving it to everyone at once shouldn’t really be a problem.

As someone who has been on Zwift since just after Jarvis was replaced by Watopia and there was just the hilly route, new roads don’t come along often. It should be a celebrated day, but a pile of people are just sitting and waiting. Would have rode right when I got home from work, but no update here. Will check later, but if there is no update I’m not riding out of protest. I’ll remember this for a while but in the end where else will I go. Zwift has the market cornered so dumb things like this can happen.

Yes this is only an addition to Watopia, but still. I remember doing Alpe d’Zwift before it was officially launched and the companion app just showing blue water. Not sure exactly how I got the map unless it was only a single map at the time and it wasn’t a Watopia day. That’s probably it, it was added to the game and the world hack was used there to go back to Watopia and ride the new roads. Seems like there is no way around these phased updates other than just waiting, and it’s annoying.

A whole map has historically been added to the game days before the launch and then just not available (sometimes available with the world hack), but it has a hard go live date. France was somewhat boring when the world hack was used before it was available as there were like 4 riders on the whole map.

Yes I’m being a bit dramatic but it’s still annoying.

4 Likes

I have one Android tablet that has been updated and another that has not,… and my laptop that I use as well is ALWAYS last to update, usually a little bit before its mentioned that everyone has been updated,… gets annoying really. And also the check for update stopped working the prior update.

I was about to provide a comprehensive reply but then i read your last sentence and you pretty much summed it up perfectly.

If I recall correctly Scotland was event only at first. So you could only ride Scotland if you joined a scheduled event. This would have allowed Zwift to roll-out their update but prevent people from riding Scotland before it was released to everyone.

Not quite so easy to do with this release though as we can all access Watopia at any time.

2 Likes

It also depends on the hardware you have. Newer hardware typically gets the update before older hardware. I’m running Zwift on an older iMac, and I’m normally one of the last to receive the Zwift updates.

The thing is we’re only talking about waiting a maximum of 2 days, so I don’t see what the big problem is. I’m not >THAT< desperate. Am I excited? Of course! But I’m old enough to know that I sometimes need to wait before I can get the things I want.

6 Likes

My opinion is that there’s no need to be impatient if new road isn’t immediate available. It’s only a one new road. Other road’s which are linked with this one new road and are advertise as a new routes, they are still there, been there for a long time.

1 Like

And if it busts everything, people will be screaming and shouting. Better to do phased rollout just in case.

Even with best testing efforts things might slip through.

Not true in the hardware (Newer first) my crappy old laptop that I don’t use for Zwift other than to catch the odd fan view from the couch always seems to get it straight away but my Zwift PC has only ever got a phased update with the bucket load at the end.

Agreed it is a first world problem; but it is annoying for a lot of reasons, and even more so when there are new features.

If it actually worked to iron out bugs before the masses got the update then I’d understand; but the one time Zwift saw fit to roll back it was only after it had been rolled out to everyone anyway.

Having people on different game versions causes issues too; ZGP today, who will be on what version and will they remember to turn steering off??

In future the roll out will start Tuesdays; so ZRL day……. could be carnage!..…

2 Likes

OK. I can see that >that< can be a problem. That’s not a good thing…

That is the point of testing prior to release

Also, majority of updates break something anyway

1 Like

Hi Amanda,
I’m excited too but sorry to say that my excitement has been peed on slightly by the fact I’m apparently not near the front of the update queue so can’t ride the new roads yet!

As a suggestion to make the most of exciting updates like this in future, Zwift recently added an “Update Later” button to the launcher; is there any chance they could add an “Update Now” button as well? That way for launches like this, those of us who want to could install the update and ride the routes before the excitement fades (and it’ll be our own fault if we encounter bugs by skipping the queue! :wink: )

5 Likes

They can’t test thousands of people all over the world, all on different set ups, all riding the new roads at the ssame time before release.

That is why they do a phased rollout.

1 Like

Yes please!

It’s definitely one thing to be under prepared and want to skip an update before a ride (which is a nice feature finally to skip updates).
But for the rest of us looking forward to these updates, please give us the opportunity to update when we want as well!

I’ve personally always been on the back end of rolled updates; I would love the opportunity to get to choose when I want to update, especially on updates like this.

Seems to work fine on other games

Zwift controls what devices run the game. So either test on those devices prior or restrict the number range of devices it can run on.

I know Zwift wants to reach the masses, but this is a computer gsne and sometimes you need better equipment to run software.

If they are worried about the potatoes then roll them out but the people who have halfway decent setups there should be no rollout.

I am sure Aunt Bev who hasn’t Zwifted in two years was able to get the early rollout.

Was Scotland releaed in a phased rollout?
No

1 Like

But Zwift ALSO wants the game to be usable by the widest range of users possible … meaning catering for as many different combinations of trainer, CPU, GPU, RAM configuration, OS type and version, ANT+ and Bluetooth connections etc.

“I’m OK because I have a decent setup and to hell with those who don’t” is just a different (and much less fair) way of restricting things.

True … but Scotland was a complete new world and was initially event-only. It was quite a while before it was available for free riding if memory serves.

You are making an awful lot of fuss about being asked to potentially wait 2 days to get something.

7 Likes

Yep couldn’t agree more :fist:

2 Likes

I am making fuss because of the shouting from the roof top come ride this. Yet only a few can.

Even it Scotland was event only
Anyone day one could ride it in the event

1 Like

The new road was nice, but boy had I forgot what a total slog the jungle is. Can we get a asphalt road through/around the jungle next, please?

5 Likes