Wahoo Kickr Bike - External Gear Display

Hi Stareat,

Thanks for you code !

I did upload it to the Lilygo and it works perfect.
At first it did not work. I only had a black screen.
But after reading the inet, i found, i needed the libs from Lilygo (TFT_eSPI).

Now it works. Big thanks !

2 Likes

Have a look at the code in my forked repo - it catches power.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will as soon mine arrives!

1 Like

The grade section of your code - is that what Zwift says the grade is, or what the tilt of the BIKE is?

That came from the original repo. My understanding is that it is the current “incline” of the bike.

So if you are on 15% in zwift with 50% trainer difficulty it would be 7.5%

But I am not 100% sure on that, maybe someone will correct me

1 Like

Thanks.
I must have discarded that when I did my code mods, since I knew I wouldn’t need it then. I have the SHIFT, so it doesn’t tilt.

yes it’s exactly that, it’s the grade from the bike itself (which is zwift x trainer difficulty scaling) that shows on the bike display from time to time

2 Likes

Hi there - thanks for sharing! I love the looks of your solution and can’t wait to to get it working for my bike. I did the full frontal 4dp test in Sufferfest and going blind without knowing the gears that I use made my results really subpar.

I just wanted to confirm one thing - what version of Arduino IDE did you use? I installed 2.2.1 and just can’t upload the code to the Lilygo… It returns errors regarding <> vs “” characters to define source references and I’m just stuck in a loophole of errors with no success whatsoever. Many thanks for any advice that you may have. Replicating your steps could be more efficient than just trying to take a blind guess after a blind guess forever.

Many thanks!

Thank you very much, @_JurZzang2749 or github . com / jurzz !! :+1::partying_face:

2 Likes

Hi, I used the latest Arduino IDE 2.2.1. and followed the setup guide that I linked in my Git repo.

#include “filename.h” will look in the sketch folder first and next in the library directories #include <filename.h> will only look in the library directories

So concerning your error I can only assume that you haven’t installed the included libraries correct.

I bought a LilyGo T-Display S3 as an upgrade to my original LilyGo (posted above) and had a heck of a time getting the display to show anything. Arduino IDE 2.2.1 would upload the code, serial monitor showed it was getting information from the LilyGo, but the screen was blank.
Turns out I was updating the libraries in the wrong location. I was updating the libraries folder under AppData, not in my Documents folder.
Once I did that, everything was fine.
I’ll format things a bit to show the data I want in a manner that suits my old eyes. Since I have the KICKR BIKE SHIFT that doesn’t tilt it will probably be just numeric gears and power.

After using my ESP for a while I decided to add power Information in Watt and W/kg.
Use it if you like …

wahoo-kickr-bike-shift-display

External Display for WAHOO KICKR BIKE SHIFT

Code is written for LILYGO T-Display-S3 and displays the following Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) data:

• Gearing ratio (as set in the wahoo app) and what gears you are currently in. Information (text and graphic) will update when shifting.
  • Cycling Power Measurement (Watt or Watts Per Kilogram). Displayed information can be changed via a button (BOOT) on the device. (The rider weight must be set in the code!)

As I’m still not allowed to paste URLs please remove the spaces :roll_eyes:

https:// github .com / stareat / wahoo-kickr-bike-shift-display/

5 Likes

This looks absolutely amazing :+1::+1::+1:

This really shows what the community can bring if Zwift would let us… Imagine if they would give us that API :thinking::wink:

BòóX

2 Likes

Mine came today. :partying_face:

Tomorrow I will start tinkering and I’m going to try to get it working with a stages bike.

I like the idea of W/kg being shown in addition to watts.
I’ll work on incorporating that into mine.
I’ll probably show both, since I don’t have the visual gear display, just the numeric gear display.
Thanks!

Thanks for your valuable suggestion! First time with the board and the Arduino and all that jazz…was not an intuitive process at all, but I got it to work this morning. Thanks again for your code and this very nifty solution for the gear display - much appreciate your contribution to improve my training when ERG mode is not an option, good sir :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone,

My Lilygo T-Display-S3 board has arrived and i am having a few issues that I hope you can help a non programmer out with. I am trying to use Arduino IDE 2.2.1 to upload the sketch, I have downloaded jurzz/kickrbike_display: Wahoo Kickr Bike external display TTGO and installed that to the library. I have also downloaded the files from here h**ps://github.com/Xinyuan-LilyGO. When I verify the sketch it all checks out with no errors. I can then upload and it flashes the board again it indicates no errors. However the screen remains black with no life indicated at all. It did show an image of checking for wifi when first unboxed and prior to uploading the sketch.
Is anyone able to tell me what I am doing wrong or point me in the right direction.
Thanks Huddo

On the bike, so quick and dirty hint…

Don’t use the Arduino TFT_eSPI library, but this modified one from Lilygo.:

BòóX

2 Likes

This is a really good start guide and it provides solutions to common startup issues:

h**ps://github.com/teastainGit/LilyGO-T-display-S3-setup-and-examples/blob/main/T-DisplayS3_Setup.txt

2 Likes

So, from what you guys are saying, it is possible to read the buttons press on the kickr bike right?
So, doing a quick search I’ve found that we can use an arduino to simulate a keyboard using the keyboard and mouse libraries… does that mean it is possible to connect the arduino via usb to the computer and map key presses to the kickr bike buttons?
Did anyone tried that yet?

1 Like