Virtual Tandem

Create a virtual tandem where any two riders riding at the same time can opt to combine their power (and weight) on a virtual tandem. Their avitars would show up in game together on a Zwift tandem. I know that my girlfriend and I would love this.

I think that will be fun, then we can have some tandem races.

3 Likes

We would love that as well!

2 Likes

How is it this has only two (now three) votes?!?!?!?
They say tandems make or break relationships with approximately equal probability. I suspect the same would be true on a Zwift tandem.
Once the code was in place for a tandem, a triplet would be an obvious extension, or a quad. Basic tandem design is extendible:

Or maybe even an April Fools party bike. Imagine super-tucking this bad boy down the L’Alpe descent:

2 Likes

3 Likes

This would actually be really fun. Especially mixing and matching friends for friendly races!

1 Like

I too have wanted to do this. This is what I did:

1. I set up a group ride and select the “stay together” option. My wife joins the ride.
  2. Combined the weight of the two riders in each of our profiles.
  3. We have a CycleOps Fluid2 trainer that we hooked the tandem up to.
  4. I used one Wahoo speed, cadence and heart rate monitor and when my wife and I log into Zwift independently, Zwift picks up the sensors simultaniously from both accounts (only I pick up the heart rate monitor, my wife uses her fitbit).
  5. At the selected time, we both log in and start the ride.

Our avitars are not on a tandem, but we stay together, our power output is the same and higher than what we do independently. We fly down hill, but uphill is slow (just like tandem riding on the road!). So it is realistic and as close to tandem riding as one can get on Zwift. I welcome any thoughts to making it better.

3 Likes

My wife and I just started Zwifting, but we have been a tandem crew for almost 20 years. I would also really enjoy this feature! We participated in many Tandem-TTs during the early '00s.

1 Like

My wife and I both ride singles on zwift and would enjoy the option to ride our tandem. We tour with our tandem, and my son and I have raced with it several times and it was a great FUN!!

That would be a great idea!!!

Don’t hate me for digging up this grave, but hear…scratch that, see me out:

On a serious note however; we now have things like the TT Club series, which, I think if expanded to a tandem TT series, would be a ton of fun.

Will it require physics adjustments? I suppose it could; however, if something like a tandem is “locked” behind a series (meaning the only way to access a tandem would be a specific race), then realistically the bike would just need some adjustments, and no actual background physics adjustments would ideally have to be made; as it wouldn’t affect non-tandem bikes in open worlds, where people would feel as though they could be “unfair.”

1 Like

They could create different team races using different dynamics if they wanted. For example they could have a TT race where the tandem bike only counted the higher power out of the two people on the bike at any point, which for short races would prefer a team doing 30s on (while the other rests) 30s off (while the other pushes) - tabata intervals basically. A “fun” way to do your 30/30s while racing :slight_smile: Or for longer races it might be 2mins on, 2mins rest etc.

Actually that sounds too painful, ha.

Someone commented on it on reddit as well stating they could do a “boost” when teammates have matching cadences as well.

There’s actually quite a lot that could be done for a unique series. I do genuinely think it would be quite successful in a TandemTTClub race series within Zwift’s typical Club races they’re doing right now.

I think if it were a more “combined” power though, and being event locked, nobody would be too concerned about the physics or ‘how’ it works, as long as it’s fun.

I like this idea. Gets my vote!