Velodrome style races on roads

Hi - until the velodrome can be built, how about having races such as the ‘devil’ [takes the hindmost].

It would be a mass start ‘normal’ race, but after a few minutes the ‘devil’ would remove say the slowest 10 riders, until there are say 50 riders remaining, then take 1 every 10 seconds until there is 1 rider left.

Points races might work on the road too?

That will be fun BUT without proper race categories it will be a pointless race. The 10 B’s that enter the C group will always win.

2 Likes

Yes - it would have to be proper separate categories

I would love to have match sprints…say you both start on London’s Kilo Banner and start the sprint to the line as the pace picks up. But you need a RO to allow pick-up the timed results.

Followed by that spiral of C’s in D and then people that leave Zwift because they can never win a race at D, so whats the point!.. (I came 43rd this week in a Crit race group D, Zwift Power has me at 4th and indicates I’m a boarder line group C!!!)

1 Like

Light riders are at a big disadvantage on crits in the Zwift category system. Crit speed is a mix of raw power and W/kg (only climbs are dominated by W/kg). The bigger you are, the more capacity you have for watts. The categories are based on only W/kg though. Also categories are based on 20-minute power, and crits require exceptional 5 minute power to survive the start, and 30 second power to survive surges. So a light, endurance-oriented rider is at a huge disadvantage: by the time you’re fit enough to be competitive in the D’s, you’ll have been upgraded to C.

I’ve never heard that.

I thought just the opposite as light riders can have a better w/kg.

Not trying to argue the points, it’s just you are both making statements without anything backing it up. And neither are about specifically velodrome races.

Old school name for Elimination Race I know.

How about running some on Crit City? I have no idea how much work would be involved in eliminating people after each lap. It would need to be automatic - can’t rely on us to accept we were beaten in the sprint…

Probably a programmers nightmare, but just a thought. Given we’re not getting a velodrome any time soon…

I note from the GCN video today that this exists in game in some sense.

Whether it’s automated nor not I don’t know, but it did seem to come up almost instantly.

It’d be great to get these types of races in the new Glasgow crit circuit that’s being used for the UCI World Championships. (Maybe that’s the plan - fingers crossed!)

1 Like