Update Firmware on Elite Sterzo Smart [June 2021]

Hello Sterzo Smart owners!

Just a quick advisory that Elite has released new firmware for the Sterzo Smart steering block. Elite’s latest firmware is required for this steering device to pair correctly with Zwift’s upcoming v. 1.14.0 game release (tentatively scheduled for mid-June 2021).

Please head over to Elite’s support site to learn how to use their Upgrado app (iOS or Android) to update Elite firmware. You may update this firmware at any time, as it is backward-compatible with whatever version of Zwift you’re using currently.

UPDATE: As noted in this thread, updating your firmware requires an additional registration step on the Elite support website.

The latest firmware will be required for Zwift v 1.14.0. When 1.14 is released, you may see this message on the device pairing screen:

After you’ve updated the firmware, our Support Hub article will guide you through the pairing and calibration processes.

Thanks for the heads up Shuji.

Ray

What’s the reason for the update? Better pairing? ANT support? Better power management?

And the question being asked elsewhere… Does this update remove support for other third party steering devices we’ve seen appear?

2 Likes

It’s almost a certainty that this upgrade is only to lock out other steering devices from using Zwift and also to prevent the Sterzo being used on other platforms. As GTBikeV is bringing out support for it very shortly - which is a free community project btw.

I hope I’m wrong this seems like not something that is going to benefit anyone except Zwift.

2 Likes

It’s an Elite update, not Zwift one.

I tried this upgrade process on a couple of my iDevices. It requires a sign up process that fails every time. I don’t know why you need to sign up for a firmware upgrade other than maybe for marketing reasons.

EDIT: I can confirm that once you register thru their website it is possible to complete this firmware upgrade. I still don’t understand why you need to register for this upgrade or why you can’t register on the device that actually runs the upgrade app.

2 Likes

Which, as per the original post, is backwards compatible with Zwift… until the next update. It’d be nice to get some further details about this.

1 Like

I downloaded the UPGRADO app on my iPhone. However, every time I attempted to register to use it, the app crashed! I ended up registering on the Elite website, and then was able to login on the app and successfully update the Sterzo Smart firmware.

2 Likes

Yes, same issue there, that a shame :frowning: But cannot find where to register on their website ? Could you help me ? Thanks

See the screenshot in my earlier post.

1 Like

Oups ! Thanks !!

@shooj Thanks for the heads-up. Please note that the Support Hub article link (Steering with a STERZO SMART) is giving me an error 404:
Have upgraded successfully thanks to all the contributors to this thread.

Any reason why after the countdown I still have to click OK to clear the screen from the steering “message”? It used to go away on its own.

@Roule_Thoune
Thank you for bringing that to my attention. It’s 404’ing in several languages, but not others. We’ll get on that right away.

1 Like

All - we’re getting clarification from Elite on the particulars of this latest firmware update. Please stand by.

Thx Shuji. Hope to get the info on the changes in the latest FW. I couldn’t find a change log

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience. We checked in with our friends at Elite to ask for more insight into their latest firmware update. Here’s what it does:

1. It improves and simplifies the initial pairing procedure. It especially helps the reconnection process should the Sterzo Smart ever disconnect.
  2. Security improvements were made to deter hacks to the Sterzo system. There were people hacking and selling fake Sterzos.

As stated previously - this latest firmware is required for the Sterzo Smart to pair with the upcoming Zwift version 1.14 releasing mid-June. Please update at your earliest convenience.

3 Likes

Will Zwift open the API or have Keyboard access for steering at some point for those the prefer having a button on the handle bar or use a joystick.

Hope it improves pairing to my Mac. It often takes a loooong time, if at all