Training Plan Timing Flexibility

I happened to have a look at The Sufferfest site today and with their training plans you can select a start or end date for the plan and you then see a calendar with the various date/time of the sessions in the plan. You can also opt to change a day/time of a particular session.

This kind of view laid out for the entire plan would be ideal for me as I could anticipate potential conflicts between sessions around what I know I have work or family commitments for during the duration of the plan.

The ability to then change a session slightly would make it much less likely I’d miss it. I understand the point about making forward progress as it’s a plan and could see that there should be a limit to how far you should be able to move a session. Maybe the rest of the plan could adjust accordingly when you make a change.

I think being able to do this initially before committing to the plan would also help ensure people understand the required sessions and get to a place where they know they have the best chance to complete the plan.

Another cool feature would be the ability to have a ‘catch up’ where if you do miss a session you have a small window to take it, but you only get 1 or 2 of these per the training plan. I felt unwell the other day and missed a session that we due in the evening my time. Next morning I felt fine and would have loved to have taken the session, but couldn’t, even though there was no scheduled session for two days.

2 Likes

Training locked is simply not razonable with the real life, works, family, outside rides, races, etc.
Inflexibility will only bring that users wont use the training plans (i was doing build me up and single trainings are not available) not commitment, not better training results. Only users leaving using other apps.

1 Like

I’m also going the dirt destroyer and the free ride day is generally during the week which is ridiculous as most people can only get out on the trails during the weekend . By then the program has expired. What the!

Not buying it. It cannot be a big change to include the training plans as individual workouts… Eg Build me up.

I was off colour this week and my training was pushed out. So this morning I had a 1:45 min ride, no problem, and a 30 minute peddling drills. Both were available.

So I figured do the 30 mins in the morning and pick up the 1:45 at 3 on Sunday afternoon. Easily achievable to make the weeks training target.

After doing the 30 mins, the 1:45 ride was pushed to 8:30 pm at night. Totally inconvenient.

So now I waste time looking for the exercise in Work plans and it is not there.

Even tried hacking the time, but it is server driven. Not really a user friendly package.

(I downloaded TheSufferFest yesterday. Not liking the feel of the site but perhaps their training plans are more accommodating. Will give them a go this week.)

I find that when doing the 12 week ftp plan if i missed a few days or week due to work or illness, i could go back a couple of weeks and pick back up.
short of starting again with the build up plan I have to miss the week then do a harder one…

A repeat week function might be a good idea. At the very least I would like to see the mandatory rest periods between workouts tweaked so that if I have to do an early morning workout to fit my schedule, I don’t wake up to see that I am locked out for the next 6 hours.

2 Likes

Newbie to cycling and zwift…Just started my final week of the build me up, and it has been a challenge to ensure i do not miss a single ride.

Really enjoyed the experience but i will concur that some flexibility is required to account for the variety of differing lifes people lead.

I would like to suggest a pause feature for 1wk minimum in which when you then un-pause depending on the length of time you have been paused a suitable recovery week session is inserted to account for any loss of intensity previously achieved by the training plan.

Possible financial benefit to Zwift as it extends the training programme and possibly delays folk looking at quiting or taking a pause in membership.

Just my tuppence.

the past week london has seen temperatures over 34 deg for several days in a row with high pollution levels, had to ease back on the workouts, would like to start the week again, but not possible.
i’m already dangerously far more fatigued than i should be

The training plan schedules are soooo frustrating! Before doing the last session of last week it was showing the first session this week being available from Monday morning. Did Saturdays session and suddenly Mondays session is moved to Tuesday. So I do Tuesday and Wednesday, can’t do Thursday due to sports massage, go to do a session just now and its expired :weary: If the week had started on Monday as originally shown there wouldn’t have been a problem. Why, just why?

3 Likes

Just to highlight the frustration, bottom pic taken before today’s session, top pic after :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I just has the exact same issue as above, 2 sessions available, completed one, the other expired. Very frustrating mid way through the plan. Just let the user decide whether the plan is flexible or not and then this issue goes away.

Also please add the date the next workout becomes available to the companion app to help with planning schedule.

Having the plan workouts in the workout section would be great but I want a flexible 4-6 week plan to work towards that is designed for a specific purpose (FTP) not try and guess what I need to do from the workout list. Either bin the expiry of sessions or let the user reschedule by picking the missed workout in the workouts list and updating it in the plan to passed once complete.

2 Likes

Please, remove the time constraints. I last ran on Saturday and I’m ready to go before work, but no, I have to wait 3 hours, I guess because I ran at 10am on Saturday. Why do I have to wait 72 hours instead of 69.

Please do not tell me to use a workout. That defeats the purpose of the plan. And I’ve coordinated the virtual half marathon with family and friends. If I’m continually pushed off schedule I won’t be ready at the end of the plan when they are.

Maybe I missed it in this huge thread but where do I go to ask Zwift to fix this bug? I mean feature.

Update: “optional” runs affect the schedule
Before doing the week 2 optional run, week 3 run 1 wasn’t available until 11am (72 hours after doing the last required run from week 2.)

After doing the week 2 optional run, I can now do 2 of the 3 week 3 required runs and I don’t have to wait until 11am.

Maybe the optional runs aren’t really optional if I want to stick to the schedule?

2 Likes

The thread has been going for 1.5 years. I think it’s safe to say they’re not going to change it.

I agree that the time constraints during the week when workouts are locked and then become available need to be removed so that people can fit the training plan into the week on their own terms. It would be great if Zwift addressed this sometime before I die. That being said, I think we should still have to finish all of a given week’s workout within the week.

If not for people with hard to predict schedules then at least for women who have a hard time performing during or just before their period. My wife is really fed up with the rigidity and it’s not helping her stay motivated which is worse than a failed training plan.

2 Likes

Hi - I gave up on Zwift a few months ago because of this issue. Have been using Sufferfest which is so much better for training plans but less good on free rides.

Just checking to see if Zwift has made any changes/improvements.

Does anyone have a moment to post an update?

Has anything changed to increase flexibility on the timing of workouts in a training plan? Any improvement to setting the schedule to suit local time?

Thanks,
Michael

2 Likes

Hello!
Seriously, we’re not kids who need to be told what time to eat and what time to do homework. When I pay for a monthly subscription that keeps increasing every year, I expect to have the freedom to use it. Being able to do more than one plan at a time and being able to do it when I want to is a minimum. If a company is trying to control my actions when the goal is to sell their system everywhere, they have to provide what comes with the subscription… some freedom. All the blah-blah I see in redponse is illogical. I’m an adult on my schedule and it’s not for Zwift to judge my involvement or commitment.
The only thing I can wish for right now is a strong competitor to make you stand up and think that not all users work from 9 to 5. Very disappointed!

3 Likes

Nope, same old training plan dictatorship. But we got a new set of workouts for expectant Moms, so… cool…

@Daniel_Laurin
“When I pay for a monthly subscription that keeps increasing every year”

I pay the same monthly subscription since December 2018!?!

This is not the main point of the subject.
But for your info, the price was $10 and then went to $15 and now $19. I can live with Zwift raises but they have to let me live without controlling my schedule.

2 Likes