Tour of Watopia Cycling 2022 FAQ

No worries, @shooj. Consider me a friendly neighbourhood zwifting nitpicker.

Talking of which…
I completed my first Stage 3 ride earlier today and got a congratulations email for it just seconds after crossing the line. All well and good, except that the text says Stage 3 gives you a cap, when it should be the MTB shoes.

Maybe it’s leftover text from last year’s ToW?

I don’t recall this descent, looks a bit dangerous tbh.

3 Likes

Pace partner rides are open world rides; the only difference is your avatar starts wherever the pace partner is, and your course is preselected to be the same as what the pace partner is riding. All the other people not doing the pace partner ride are visible. At any point you can drop out of the pace partner ride, select a different turn, etc. And you can join the pace partner group from the general ridership in the open world.

Yeah, looks like a bit of a drop there - did you get your 100km/hr achievement on that? :slight_smile: I guess what ZP is doing here is restarting the Road To Sky route back at 0 until it hits the total length of the longest ride in the stages (Tour of Fire and Ice). So it shows the Road to Sky route until top of the Alpe, then shows the profile of the first 11km of Road to Sky again which adds up to the Tour of Fire and Ice distance of ~28km (including the lead-in).

I wish I read some of the recent comments before I went out and spent drops on a gravel setup before Dirt Drippin’. I also wish it was advertised in big writing on the event page.

1 Like

If i miss tour 3, it’s possible to do it or no

must have missed this in the FAQ?

That Stage 4 “Handful of Gravel” was actually a lot of fun! Really enjoyed this stage!

No power ups on stage 4, pretty lame…

4 Likes

and forced onto a gravel bike with no option to change

I thought it was my own personal glitch… Yes, no powerups yesterday on Stage 4

1 Like

Yeah, I had the same thought while doing the 4A ride (5 laps). My guess is that the arch that was set up for marking circuits of Handful of Gravel in this ToW stage is temporary and therefore for some reason cannot be used for giving PowerUps.

I generally do all of the available routes during a tour at least once, but ToW 4 was just no fun for me. Felt especially sluggish on the gravel, and doing five of the same slow circuit got dull quickly. (I’d happily do 25 Volcano circuits instead!) Some loved it, I guess, but it was very much a case of one and done for me.

Unrelated to the route, I know, but of all the things that could happen, my chain came off during circuit 5 and got doubled up and trapped between the BB and front chain ring! That took me 10 minutes of fiddly work to sort out, after which I was a cold, sweaty, unhappy mess. Some days it all just goes bad, eh? :upside_down_face:
Here’s to ToW stage 5 being more enjoyable!

2 Likes

Yes, i also thought it was in a strange spot on the course.

I’ve always wanted a sprint banner on the Mayan bridge ever since that section of road was introduced. Seems like a great spot for a banner, right in the middle of the bridge. That could have been used for this stage had it ever existed.

I’ve had that happen too during a sprint at the end of a race, and there goes the podium :confounded:

1 Like

Speaking of power ups, why does the small plus sign XP power up not give double XP for the tour? It still only awards 10xp, should be 20. :man_shrugging:

@shooj
On the subject of the gravelly stage 4, I’m curious about the message in the completion email that arrived in my inbox when I finished the ride:

That gravel route, a.k.a. Handful of Gravel, is still not listed in the Watopia routes when selecting a freeride on the home screen, so I guess it’s still event-only.

Will it become “available anytime” when all the stage 4 rides are all finished, or is the text not intended to be read that way. (Asking for a friend, as I don’t think I’ll be doing that route by choice again any time soon. :wink:)

2 Likes

@Roule_Thoune
I got that email too. Let me double check with the team. Stand by, please.

EDIT: You are correct - Handful of Gravel is not yet available to free ride. The email message we received has been corrected as of today Apologies for the confusion.

1 Like

Just did stage four. The rebel route mayan bridge loop used for the running route for their handful of gravel stage would have a made a great cycling route for races. Two short punchy varying grade % climbs and changing surface resistance factors would make a tactical route. Maybe next update. ToW has been good so far. Looking forward to eastern eight in a group in stage 5, one of my favorite now former rebel routes.

Experienced Steering bug when switching between TOW rides. I remember this was a problem before but it was fixed. Steering was disabled for my first event (correct), but was enabled for the next TOW event. Happened multiple times today. Steering works but keep getting pushed to the outside of the group. Please help.

What happens if I quit before doing that 2.0E-5 nanometers?

5 Likes