Tour of Watopia [2023]

I don’t really get the double XP thing? aren’t levels meant to motivate people to cycle more? so if you make the levels quicker (therefore easier) and make more people get to the end quicker wouldn’t that be less motivational?

kind of makes a nonsense of levels? two people might be the same level but you don’t know who has actually put more time in or which has just gamed the system to level up quicker.

3 Likes

Maybe double XP is offered for TOW because it runs during that time of the year when northerners might start to think about riding outside instead of indoors. :wink:

2 Likes

I agree if you make getting XP easier then you make them worth less, like drops. If XP is worth less then they loose the ability to motivate people to ride and level up.

remind me why you do workouts up the alpe again?! :wink:

1 Like

To get more XP than my riding buddy. XP is very motivating. But once it get like Drops then there won’t be any need to chase the XP.

Instead of Double XP for these already popular events it should be used for the less popular events. They can use it to promote organizers that does a exceptional job, give then double XP events for a week.

2 Likes

No that would only motivate 10 people to ride. We want to motivate people of all ability and especially those that does not ride a lot.

1 Like

but if it’s based on finishing position it’s rewarding the same 10 riders that probably finish near the top every race. For those that get dropped and quit you would have to reward the whole field for finishing.

I’m not against it but also feel it’s not the fairest way to reward people when racing is so skewed to the same riders winning all the time i would prefer to see certain events giving double xp to all to promote it.

1 Like

From the FAQ - Tour of Watopia is not a race

1 Like

I don’t really see the difference. You’ll likely get more than double XP for doing a workout up the alpe than someone free riding up it. That, to me, is the same as getting double XPs for doing a certain group ride compared to someone not getting double for doing the same course,.

both make a mockery of XPs in my mind. They are a very flawed measure anyway, ride a hilly route and you’ll get fewer XPs than someone doing a flat route for the same time and power.

i prefer to look at miles, elevation gain and time as a measure of how much i’m doing on zwift (spoiler alert - too much!)

1 Like

I know what will work… SBP’s :wink:

1 Like

That is true doing a workout on a climb does give more XP but a workout on a flat road give less XP than free riding. What I track is TSS per week, so going up a mountain or flat road in a workout will give the same TSS.

But you can get approximately the same XP in the same amount of time free riding a flat road with a huge group or climbing the alpe in a workout, except the alpe has the spinning wheel at the top that would offset the XP gain.

I also did not ride the Alpe so many times only about 50 times since the Alpe existed and I way over level 60. (not as far over 60 as you :flushed:)

all this just backs up my point that XPs are (ironically) a pointless thing to monitor and use for anything other than getting a jersey you don’t want or some silly socks!

Can we please duplicate James and have an official race per TOW stage, switching between short/standard/long routes through the stages… With all categories racing together? :rofl:

everyone will race the tour stages anyway

you put people on a bike, start them at the same time as lots of other people and tell them what position they are from the person at the front!

It is a race! :rofl:

2 Likes

To be fair you only really get a lot more XP on the alpe if you cross the finish line and spin the wheel for the XP bonus, not all workouts will get you that high. If you don’t spin the wheel at the top then sitting in a pace partner group will be about the equivalent XP I would imagine.

Most games enable specific strategies to maximize XP to gain levels. That doesn’t make XP useless, it just means some people will do different style rides to get to level faster. If you sit in a pace partner group you’ll get XP (and drops) faster than if you free-ride too, that’s ok too.

Does XP really matter? No, not really, other than unlocking things such as your L42 wheels, and fire socks-style things, but if it motivates people then it’s a good thing.

But with double XP you can get to level 60 quicker and complain that you don’t get XP any more.

4 Likes

I think this is at least part of it. Late March for me is the time when daylight and temperature start getting to the point where I’m wanting to ride outside. ToW does provide some motivation to stick with Zwift through March, and into April. If you’re halfway through the tour late March then it feels bad to not finish it off and ride well into April :slight_smile:

that’s not true - workouts get XPs based on time not distance so it will take a long time to get up the alpe and sop you’ll get a lot of XPs but in freeride you will only get them at 30XP per mile.

edit
sorry i get what you mean now - you mean not that high up the alpe not not that high a number of XPs

1 Like