Tech set up

Is it possible to use a non smart TVs to run Zwift,thanks in advance.

It depends on the rest of your set up. I have used Zwift and a non-smart TV by connecting an HDMI cord from a PC/Mac, as well as using with Apple TV (my present set up). I would guess, though have never tried, that you might also be able to use Apple AirPlay from an iPad or iPhone, if the TV is equipped for that (though any AirPlay equipped TV is likely to be Smart). I think I have also heard of people who use Chromecast from their computer, though there is often some lag.

Also, for what it’s worth: I don’t think having a Smart TV would be any different than a ‘dumb’ TV, as long as you have a way to connect a PC/Mac/Apple TV/whatever to it, because Zwift cannot be run directly from the TV itself.

You don’t need a smart TV for Zwift and it has zero benefit. The game itself runs on a separate device (computer, phone, tablet, Apple TV etc), so you can use any TV or monitor as the display.

1 Like

I have a 24" touchscreen monitor sat on my tri-bars. Game changer for me (I’m very short sighted)

1 Like

Interesting. That sounds like a great set-up.
I started with a 12.9 in. iPad that I still use, because of the touchscreen interface.
I’ve experimented with an Apple TV (and a standard monitor) and a laptop (again, non touchscreen), but I just miss the simple functionality of the iPad screen interface. The graphics are ‘basic’ profile, of course, so I’d love to try a larger touch screen with a PC that can deliver ‘ultra’ quality.
The only problem I could foresee would be the screen blocking airflow to you upper torso and head. Is it an issue?

I think your screen should always be within arm’s length. :sunglasses:

No, never been an issue. But I have my fan on my right hand side (window on the left).

1 Like

I guess that makes it easier to interact with the UI. I’m always struggling to see where my mouse pointer is when, for example, I want to click one of those orange Ride On thumbs against Riders Nearby. Would be a lot easier just to poke it.

1 Like

Here I am stuck in the middle with you

1 Like

I would like to see a picture of that!

Excuse the mess :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you. Very nice…

Hi James I’ve currently got a iPad Air 2022 although great I’ve seen a few use monitors you use a touchscreen with apple can you rich the screen and basically use like I do with my iPad please and what monito did you opt for thinking of getting Apple TV and a touchscreen monitor and brackets from place of things appreciate any help :blush:

I’m looking to update my setup for the autumn from iPad to pc/tv on hdmi will this pc be good enough? I’m only going to use for Zwift in the garage. Thanks in advance

It will run it ok but you’ll not get access to the ultra profile which offers far superior graphics to what you’ll get as standard.

You can get an additional card for anything from £30 upgrades to give you the ultra profile.

Don’t overpay. You can get a decent Zwift Pc for under £50

Where do I get a decent pc for £50? I don’t want a tower, I just want something as small as possible

Small isn’t the way to go as you’ll not be able to put in a graphics card if you want to unlock the ultra graphics. They also use propriety power supplies which limits being able to upgrade.

You severely limit your options by using a SFF (small form factor) PC. A midi tower isn’t actually that big.

If you’re not bothered about the graphics then you’ll get something from £30 upwards in SFF. EBay the way to go.

Thanks I’ll have a look on eBay

Hi guys!

I’m about to get a Tacx Bushido for the winter, and was thinking about if I should get an ANT+ dongle or not. I’ve tried to read articles but honestly I don’t know if I’ll be fine only with the bluetooth.

My setup would be the Bushido, I have a Polar Verity Sense for HR tracking, a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro but I don’t think a watch is necessary in this case, and I’ll be using Zwift. I have a windows PC and a Macbook Air is well, the PC is with a bluetooth dongle.

Do I need the ANT+ or I will be alrighty with all I do have now?

Thanks in advance!

The Bushido is compatible with either BT or ANT+. I would get a Ant+ dongle just to cover anomalies. But the Bushido is well over 10 years from its release…Be sure to test prior to obtaining. Note that should be able to get a much newer used Kickr Snap or Elite model for low cost. A brand new one in the US is $300…or less.