Can I use a computer monitor with Apple tv?

I moved my Zwift setup to the cellar a month ago, running Apple tv with Kickr core on an older TV that I moved and installed down there. Just yesterday my TV completely died. I found out that it’s probably because there is not much heating down there and the door is sometimes kept open during the day, as my father works on cars. So the internal electronics of the TV get cold and then thaw when it’s turned on, and water damages it.

My solution to this would be either to buy an Ipad or run through the phone. The phone is too small though and the Ipad is expensive and also not that big compared to a monitor. A monitor would also be much cheaper, have better picture quality and a bigger screen. Could I run apple tv on a monitor?

Would a monitor have the same issues as a TV? If that’s the case, I could just remove it after every ride and take it with me upstairs.
This is the one I was looking at:

https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator-surfplatta/datorskarmar/datorskarmar-23-24-tum/asus-vp248qg/1006799.8903/

Would that work?

AppleTV uses HDMI so as long as the monitor takes HMRC it’ll work. I use mine with my monitor as my TV always loses signal. Which reminds me, I should see if I can get some help with that…

I read somewhere that the monitor has to have something called HDCP. Is that true for Zwift?

Does someone know if a monitor would have the same issues as a TV when it comes to cold temperatures? If that’s the case, I will have to be moving it every time. So that I know to look for one that’s not too heavy.

I run Zwift on Apple TV & a Samsung curved monitor. It works great.

Not sure about the freezing issue though, if it’s a problem for TV’s I don’t see why it would be any different for a monitor to be honest.

The one downside of my monitor is that it doesn’t have a remote control, not a biggie as i don’t really have the sound on Zwift when I’m using it, but might annoy some people.

Yeah, that’s what I thought as well. I’ll just have to remove it every time then. The one I looked at has speakers but sound is not important to me either. Do you know if it has to have that Hdcp thing? I don’t even know what it is.

Would you get better picture with a monitor than an Ipad? A FHD monitor.

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection ( HDCP ) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio & video content as it travels across connections. Had to google it…

" Basic Checks

When HDCP was first introduced, few monitors supported it and it was a safe bet that unless you specifically knew a screen supported HD, if almost certainly did not. Today the reverse is true: the standard has caught on to the point that if a recently-manufactured monitor meets the general requirements for high definition, it likely supports HDCP as well. If your monitor does not support a digital connection (either HDMI or DVI) and a resolution of at least 1920 x 1080 pixels, it will certainly not be HDCP compliant. If it does have these connections and resolutions, the chances are it is HDCP compliant."

This is the monitor that I’m using, it doesn’t mention HDCP anywhere on the page, but it works with my apple tv 4k.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BIWNBSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

You mentioned the TV getting cold, and also getting water in it. Are you sure the water isn’t the issue, and not the cold? Either way, though, what if you just throw a blanket over whatever TV or monitor you get as a replacement? That should help it stay a bit warmer, as well as keep out water and dust.

Thanks. That’s good to know because then I can probably get a cheaper one since they all have Hdmi and full HD.

That’s a nice screen btw. I have also been looking at curved ones. Is it good for Zwift? Do you need to have it really close? Since it’s curved and a smaller screen obviously is different than a big curved one. It’s a computer monitor, so I’m thinking it’s designed to sit up close to it.

As I understood it, it’s condensation from the cold air coming from outside. If you have a TV in a cabin for example, and it sits there in the cold for a while. It’s recomended that you first turn on the heat and wait for 24 hours before turning on the TV.

My TV was pretty old so I’m not sure what would happen if I bought a new one. But I don’t want to risk paying a lot for a new TV and then have the same thing happen.

Now I wonder wether the same thing could happen to the Apple TV unit itself. Probably not though because it’s still fine.

Now this got me scared for the Kickr too. Does anyone know if there is a limit for how low temperatures it can be stored in? I should probably ask them directly.

I just got the monitor and it works great. The picture quality is really good too. I’m not gonna be removing it after every ride. I got insurance though, so if something happens, they’ll replace it. It will be interesting to see if it holds up.

On most screens, It didn’t say anything about temperature. But on one Samsung screen, it said, minimum drift temp 10C and max 40C.

I didn’t get a curved one anyway. That seems to be just a trend, like 3D was. It just looked strange when I was looking at it from further away, being a small screen. You probably need to sit up close. And you have to be right in the middle to see any benefits.

1 Like