Tacx genius smart VS Neo 2T

Just receiver my new trainer. After riding for years on a Tacx genius, I decided to buy a direct drive.

My first rides are completed, and there is a quite large difference between the old and new one. This isnt a problem, however I was wondering if this is the difference which could be expected.

My FTP on the wheels on trainer was 289 and on the Neo it is 245. Is this caused by a better accurracy? I have updated the Neo to latest firmware.

At least I do not have to switch to B class in races :joy:

You should be surprised the difference is not larger; any wheel-on trainer to a tacx neo is going to show a significant decrease in output.

Yes, I have both a Tacx Genius and a Tacx Neo (1), and big differences in power are possible. With proper calibration and the right tire pressure you can get the Genius reasonably accurate, to within 10-20W. But the watts also tend to drift, so just forget your old FTP values and PB’s and create some new ones on your Neo. It is far more accurate and I really love the fact that it is always accurate, without needing to calibrate it!

1 Like

New goal: get back to 289 :joy:

Thank you for the responses.

1 Like

Perhaps there is something wrong. Starting whistling during the entire training (not only at 34km/h). This does not feel right after just three rides. Made a RMA today. hopefully the next one is better :see_no_evil:

Just did the same upgrade - Genius → 2T.
Also have lost approx. 15% on FTP. The ride is really nice, but the other part really has to sink in :slight_smile: :smile:

I have a tacx flow and it greatly underreports power compared to my pedals and other trainers I have used (that match my pedals)
I also have an elite zumo and that is an absolute disaster for power accuracy! about 50 watts under pretty consistently

Maybe I should try to borrow some pedals to compare.
The difference between Genius (calibrated) and 2T is around 35-50 watts even more for + 350 watt.
40 watt difference between 2 races with approx. same HR.

Neos are known to be very accurate so i’d go with the power readings from that

FWIW, my Neo 2T reads approx 2% lower than my Assioma Duo pedals (at around 200 W).

Drivetrain losses will account for some/most of that (measurement at the pedals vs measurement at the hub).

2 Likes

and both are accurate to within +/- 1% so could easily combine to 2%

1 Like

I have been riding using a Tacx genius smart since almost 6 years ago, finding that the power output from the trainer is way above 40-50W compared with power from left crank (4iii on road bike and stages on TT bike). Left cranks are within a reasonable 3-5W difference among.
I just ordered a Tacx neo 2T to update my trainer, mostly to avoid the excessive noise while using the genius. From your experience, it’s the neo 2t a lot quieter than the genius and worth the update?

I have a neo1 and a Neo 2T. The Neos make a whining noise but they are fairly quiet, but not as quiet as a kickr bike.

Problem with a neo is that it might be too accurate, so if you are racing it might be better to go with the trainer that gives you maximum power advantages. :wink: Certain trainers seem to be popular for that reason.