So slow

Hi. I have searched for a while regarding my issues but haven’t found a solution yet. Got the neseccary items to start zwifting today. Wahoo heart rate, cadence and speed sensors. I have an elite Crono E Force (dumb trainer) that I am using with an old bike 3x7 altura with tyres 26x1.5 (waiting for delivery of a road bike at the moment). All set up and connected correctly. Now, i am 6ft 7, and weigh 104kg and I am not unfit. I am a regular mountain biker just thought I would give zwift a try. I am a little put off at how slow my avatar moves. I understand it is a lot different but I struggle to surpass 10mph on flats. So, I have tried to keep around 100rpm and this for me produces 120 watts at 9-10mph. I feel like I am spinning but not gaining any speed or speed it is not relative to my effort. Maintaining 100-120 watts at 100+rpm, I am being passed by literally everyone and this is no exaggeration. 100rpm is a fast cadence for me coming from mtb but was wondering if something is amiss here. I am aware I am heavier than most but it is not overweight for myself. More build than pork pies. Hoping someone can help me out here as I enjoy the game but not plodding along at 10mph… Thanks.

Hi @Tom_Massey

Welcome to the Zwift Forum.

It may just be the gearing of your bike, zwift use a speed power curve to calculate the in game power . So the faster the wheel spin the more power. If you have a a Mtb on the trainer then a road bike will have better gearing and will have more speed.

A typical power curve look like this.

Tom: Be sure that you’ve read this article about pairing your Elite trainer:
https://support.zwift.com/en_us/pairing-elite-trainers-HJoxNNZer

@Gerrie_Delport @1506, thanks for the reply guys. Steve, in regards to the setting up of the trainer, I have followed the processes correctly and selected the one stated in the list you provided. It says to select the Elite Novo Force at L3. As it being a dumb trainer, there is nothing else I can do with the actual trainer.

Gerrie, if this is the case then I will have to wait out until monday. Hopefully this is my issue as the bike being used currently is just my pub bike.

Just a quick update. It felt better today and seemed to respond to my Inputs better. I carried out a ramp test to get my FTP but after completion I am not too sure where you can view it.

That is good news @Tom_Massey

this link will be helpful.

Thank you very much for your help. Everything going better and I am getting the hang of it. Just looking forwards to trying the new bike when it arrives wednesday!

2 Likes

How’d it go?

Its going well thank you. Really enjoying zwift. The accuracy of power, cadence and speed is much better I think and responds well to my inputs. Only so accurate you can get with a dumb trainer so may have to invest in a smart trainer once they return to stock!

1 Like