[Released December 2022] Critical Power Information in Zwift Profile

Definitely rename them. They have nothing to do with Critical Power. The OP describing this section is also incorrect.

BTW. Thanks so much for sharing this before it was put live.

4 Likes

Noted, thanks. I’ll put in a request to get those changes updated.

3 Likes

Ok - good that the progress means that it’s becoming visible to riders. But as James says - transparency is the key. Not just to individuals but across the community.

I’m sure you know that eSports rely on a degree of trust which is why it’s a shame that Zwift makes that harder to build up by hiding key data on racers especially data currently used to allocate racer categories.

Hope you can open it up as soon as possible after this initial launch. :crossed_fingers:t3:

@xflintx @DavidP

Thank you for the efforts to improve the Zwift racing experience and updating the community with the info. As we are invited to give feedback and ask questions:

1. Top of my list - not a surprise if you’ve seen my previous forum activity - please can you add this ‘Power information’ to the list of the future Developer API data (as I understood from Mark Cote this is in serious consideration), so event organizers can check Zwift riders on this type of info: Request to release Zwift semi-public API

2. I think it’s really good that you are including ALL activities: the problem with the Zwiftpower FTP calculation is that it isn’t using all activities (sometimes TTT’s are used for FTP calculation, sometimes they don’t). Using all activities makes things really clear, and there’s no way back (not even deleting or exiting without saving the activity) when a sandbagger has accidently crossed a category limit in his race. Positive feedback on that one :+1:

3. Another problem with the Zwiftpower algorithm is it’s not actually calculating the best absolute power efforts: it’s calculating the best w/kg power efforts and then saving the absolute power for the events with the highest w/kg effort. Due to changing weights this might not be the best effort in absolute power (e.g. if effort 1 was 300 Watts with 79kg (3,80 w/kg) and effort 2 is 290 Watts with 76 kg (3.82 w/kg); it should show 300 Watts, where ZP would show 290 Watts). So my question: is “the best absolute power effort in the last 60 days” really compared and stored in absolute watts?

4. And finally one more question: could you clarify whether the “Watt floors” have disappeared? I see a lot of people assuming it’s still in there, or has it been removed from the “suggested category” calculation. Could you please clarify this?

5 Likes

It would be nice if the critical metric(s) for the proposed category could be highlighted in some way. A “*” by the number perhaps?

1 Like

:+1: This is one of the reasons it would be nice to have (some of) the information on ZP; to help with community “policing”.

Also (not an after-thought), just like to thank you for this work.

2 Likes

That is the information we have been waiting for! Thanks!!
Our riders do not understand the up-and-down of their Category and have no tool to understand why.

It would be essential to open the information for ZP!! Leaving it personal on Zwift is ok but in Zwiftpower it should be published immediately for transparency reasons. It is also important for Team Managers to have that information accessible for planning Team Events using CE.

3 Likes
  1. It’s something to take into consideration. While I do understand the need of event organisers to “police” their participants, this enters the realm of private information so I’m not sure if we’ll get blocked by that.

2. Glad to hear that. The goal is to move away from ZwiftPower and transfer all it’s features to the Zwift stack. It’s a long process unfortunately.

3. We store absolute watts and watts/kg separate, so no, we don’t do it like ZwiftPower does.

4. No, watts floors have not disappeared. The rules have been untouched for months.

2 Likes

Is the ZP site going to retain the old “minimum category” value (90 day best-of-3-FTP average) on the rider’s profile, or will this be removed and replaced by their CE cat?

If the former, the new CE categorization could be displayed alongside the current ZP one (it wouldn’t necessarily need to be linked to the rider’s actual performance data on their ZC/Zwift profiles) e.g. “ZP Minimum Category” = C, CE Category = C.

Is the goal of ZHQ to completely replace events which use the current ZP cat system (e.g. WTRL ZRL and TTT) with the new CE system?

2 Likes

This is probably a good time to revisit the rules. There’s a possibility that a short hard 3min effort can move you down a cat, so changing the formula a bit now can fix that.

I see that showing these numbers will make sandbagging so much easier, especially since weight change will directly change the category. Is there a way to lock a category upgrade for 60days?

2 Likes

The horse has bolted on that, they are already pulling the info and zwift staff are fully aware the API is being used by non-authorised users.

2 Likes

ZwiftPower will not be changed. Like I said, the goal is to move away from ZwiftPower and in order to do that we can’t invest time and effort into in adding features or change things there.
We fully understand the importance it has for the racing community and that’s why we invested considerable effort into keeping it running stable. Unfortunately, ZwiftPower was not built to be scalable or even changed properly. That’s the hard truth :frowning:
I can only say we are working hard to move everything to new systems.

3 Likes

So, will CE completely replace the current ZP cat model for all future Zwift events?

We are currently building towards a rank based category system, so that should be the default in the future.
There are a few possibilities. Rank based, Power profile based (the current CE system), Hybrid, etc. There could be a future where the organiser chooses between the category system he/she wants.

11 Likes

You’re already divulging far more information about individual racers on Zwiftpower, so that can hardly be such a big deal (except for data protection administrivia considerations). The easiest way forward would be to rephrase the ZP consent so that it covers racing result and integrity platforms regardless of implementation (of course you’ll probably have to bother existing users once more but that’s hardly a big deal). If the goal is to move away from ZP, you’ll have to do something like that at some point anyway. (Personally I would like to see that kind of consent to take the form as something of a “Zwift racing licence”, meaning that it would simply be a prerequisite for signing up to any (public?) event categorized as a race.)

2 Likes

I’m most interested in the word ‘determine’ which I, possibly in error, take to mean calculate.

Is there any chance you could tell me how you determine your best estimations of
zFTP
zMAP
VO2max (I wonder whether for consistency this should be zVO2max ?)

1 Like

:raised_hands:

1 Like

BTW, appreciate I was quite challenging yesterday, but it’s important to get the messaging right. I should add, it’s great that this is being added to a Zwifter’s profile, and generally it feels like racing is heading in the right direction - Pack Dynamics and giving race organisers configuration tools being the two key elements.

The one big enhancement to this would be using Compound Score instead of W/Kg so the constant complaints about have to manage weight differentials can be a thing of the past.

4 Likes

That’s unlikely. If you do a hard 3min. effort it will likely bump up your zMAP being “caught” there.
Off course then comes the possible limits that are or not crossed. But what is the right limit 5.4 or 5.3, 4.1 or 4.2, etc
 ?

But we are open for improvement suggestions. If it’s not a massive change we might improve it. Just tell us your solution.

1 Like

@Gerrie_Delport_ODZ is right, I improved power through 2-10mins in a race and this then opened up the cat below for me.

@S_A_Cestria_CC can give much better examples of this being used as he understands this specific quirk quite well.

1 Like