Read speed data from zwift

(Kevin Johnson) #1

Does anyone know if there is an API/plug in that I can use to read the speed data out (say through a python script or something) that I can use to log speed and power data and export then for my own data manipulation?  This is the first im looking around for and was initially going to write a ANT+ handler in python to read this data but Zwift owns that connection and I am not sure I will be able to access the data through external channels since that connection is already open.  Any ideas?

(Mark Hewitt) #2

Do you need the data live? If not you could download the .fit file after the ride?

(Kevin Johnson) #3

I’d prefer live data so I could do real time manipulation and such and potentially even recommend training zones and speed based on the type of workout I plan.

(S. M.(C)) #4

Why just why would someone do this?  Is there a real reason to do this?

(Kevin Johnson) #5

Hi Shane, as the author of the comment I can tell you exactly why.  Because knowing the power curve of the trainer you can develop training plans that are based on power ranges.  Using that you can write a data handler to tell you speed up or slow down based on what the plan you are trying to do says.  If for example I decided I wanted to do a high power interval run I could monitor my speed data and have a window show whether my speed was within range or too slow or fast.

I’d also like to note that this was before I decided to stop using zwift as well as them releasing training plans, which I have not looked into yet.

That is “why just why” someone may to do…to train more intelligently.

(S. M.(C)) #6

sorry this was mean for a different thread sorry to waste you time.  I had a couple open at the same time.  I was referring to why someone would take the time to manipulate ANT+ (spoof) data so they can get a KOM or something else.  Not meant for this thread.