Race Ranking - Quitting before finish

Good idea. I think just the sight of them on a profile will be a deterrent to a lot fo riders from doing it on purpose.

1 Like

There could even be DNF leaderboard for each season on zwiftracing.app :grinning:

7 Likes

This is a great idea. Doesn’t harm anyone, but puts the repeat dropouters in a pillory on the town square. For myself, being in the very-low-A category and mostly being motivated by trying to avoid last place, it’s getting pretty annoying that the reward for dropping someone on a climb is them just dropping out and me still finishing last.

3 Likes

Agreed. As someone with a pretty terrible sprint, I need to try to do as much as possible earlier on in the race. It’s so frustrating just seeing people constantly drop out if you manage to drop them.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the worst. It’s like of like the inverse of going to Zwift Power to check the results and seeing that 3 people in front of you weren’t registered there so now you’re top 10 (or podium or whatever) when you weren’t in the game.

I’ve been in so many rides AND races where i’m off the back of the main pack but finish in say top half of starters or higher. When LA LE9iondid the Neokyio crit circuit races did the first one managed tohange (my highest w/kg 20 min EVER is. 3.9 FTP/whatever is mid 3’s w/k and mid weight 70ish kg guy). I use a lot of skills to try to hang above my power. Very few (?) “B”” riders like me in “A” there and in that one bunch of pros. So it wasn’t a power record for me but lead in one full lap 2/3rds of next and enough of the surges one finally shrugs me off, I recover some pedaling and look for what to do in no mans land and ride some with 2 others don’t remember all details did’t kill myself for rest of race for pace but FINISHED. Massive number of dropouts and I think in the end like 2 people finished behind me. Much stronger riders sho got dropped dropped out. I managed to hang for a little bit and finished the modest length race (6 laps). This wasn’t a burden on these much stronger riders. I see no reason that those that actually finish as far as zwift power scoring is conferned “beat”people who DNF. One can have mechanicals and lose in IRL races too (where this I think is also an issue not counting dropped riders BUT for our state rankings they choose our 7-8 best efforts so it’s not a “how many races one does). So like others in general I feel like (and these racing points that last 90 days don’t have significant meaning but they ARE there and why not??) that a) everyone riding a bike (or working out/exercising) is winning lol, b) if you finish a event you did better than others who DNF’d. It could be a mechanical but that’s life as others have noted if some monstrously strong rider decides to pull out because they got dropped I didn’t and why did’t I “beat” them they couldhave tempo’d and probaly finished ahead of me THEY CHOSE NOT TO despite it costing them nothing it hurts those of us “trying.” I mean maybe they need to get out of the start pen to be counted? But then yeah.

3 Likes

Don’t include DNF in the results if DNF was in the first 50% of the race, the first DNF in the last month, or the first DNF in the previous 10 races.

Otherwise include them in last place.

I still think if you’ve started the race, you’re in the race. You can’t give people half the race to decide if they’re doing well enough to continue. If the rankings were taken seriously, some may have signed up to the race on the back of the quality of the field, if half that field drops out, it becomes a complete waste of time.

12 Likes

EXACTLY,
If you start the race then you’re in the race.

5 Likes

I agree. If they get out of the pen, they’re in the race, and they should figure on the results page. Several routes feature early climbs (some even have one on the lead-in), and I’ve seen several A cats drop out as soon as they start to trail the front group.

2 Likes

As with most things at zwiftracing.app, I’ll leave it to the community to decide what to do next after DNFs are present on the Event result table. I’d only want to ensure that people who aren’t repeat offenders are given some grace for having to jump off the bike for any number of real-life reasons that can occur.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be possible to just award DNF’s zero points as long as they don’t have more than XX DNFs during the last 30/60 days, but still having them be on the results list, so as to not take away the points reward for the riders beating the DNFs by finishing the race?

1 Like

I think that’s a great first step. Been considered on the ZR discord. Just need the developer who is implementing DNF on ZR to finish it so I can merge it and we can move forward :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, I think that DNF’s should simply have no effect on themselves but their ranking should be considered at the end for everyone else who finished giving them a boost in pts.

It is true that many of the Zwift posers ride for some type of video game glory that isn’t actually real and will bail at a moments notice if they get dropped from the lead pack for any reason……

2 Likes

This morning’s Stage 1 race. Literally over half the race and an entire team pulled out at exactly the same time with about 5km to go when they realised they probably wouldn’t win. The whole thing becomes an absolute waste of time and effort.

5 Likes

@TimHanson has added some DNF tracking features to zwiftracing.app :+1: :clap:

They show up on rider profiles, race results, event signup pages, and rankings. The column can be sorted to show people with high DNF scores.

2 Likes

This functionality was added with the proviso that people wouldn’t name and shame repeat offenders. Some DNFs have a very logical and reasonable explanation.

I guess what I’m getting at is “be nice” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Repeatedly have reasonable explanations?

I think the most reasonable reason someone would have lots of DNFs is if they are lower end of category, often get dropped early, and don’t like doing an ITT for more than half the race after getting dropped? I would think persistent flaky wifi could be another, but most folks would fix that eventually I would hope. Maybe new baby that wakes up crying a lot and needs folks to jump off the bike at random times often :slight_smile:

People forget that we’re running through software and using lots of technical bits to get races done. A DNF doesn’t always mean someone ragequit. It can mean an internet dropout, trainer issue, game crash, and other life events that happen when you ride indoors with family and other people around. Now obviously some people abuse DNFing to avoid point or ranking drops, but it’s ultimately impossible to say for sure why someone has left the game.

3 Likes