Power vs RPM on beginner FTP builder

Howdy y’all! Today I did my first Zwift workout and I chose the 6 week beginner FTP builder. I had an issue that I’m hoping someone can shed some light on. The screen told me to ride at 90-100 rpm, but any time that I went above 70 rpm it told me to reduce my power output. Normally I would just shift into an easier gear to meet both goals, but I’m on A Tacx Neo smartbike, and for some reason the ability to change gears disappeared when I began the training session. Is that normal for all training sessions? And how can I bring up my rpms while staying within the workout guidelines?

Hi @Toby_Quest, welcome to the forums!

Are you using the Neo Bike in ERG mode? Usually that is default when doing a workout, but check to make sure it is enabled in the Zwift training plan/workout menu. I think there is a small radio button located somewhere when you are choosing the workout or training plan.

I thought that I saw that was turned on, but I’ll check that next time. What does that do exactly?

1 Like

Got it. I think that the problem may have been that the workout was a little “too” beginner. I’m not certain about the logistics of trying to push 90 - 100 rpms while only generating 100 watts. Or perhaps I just needed to be patient and let the trainer adjust whenever it said that my wattage was too high. I’ll find out next time! Thanks for the help!