Play music app while in Zwift

Would like to play my music app while in Zwift on Android. I have to use two devices when I workout, one to run Zwift and one to paly music

I like this idea. Upvoted.

On some devices (AppleTV I think?) I can run a music app like Spotify in the background and it plays from the same output device as Zwift. I’m not sure if any other platforms will integrate audio the same way.

Another datapoint: Zwift can kinda do this.

During Black History Month, a number of rides featured podcasts (Rahsaan Bahati!) that showed up with a “play” button right at the top of the HUD in Zwift. Super cool, loved the experience. Makes me think Zwift has the capability to integrate other audio sources/streams.

Hey Zwift HQ: possible idea for future updates?

Do you use Spotify? You can play that in the background.

I’ve just tried it on my phone (Pixel 6 Pro), and it’s working fine.

If for some reason it’s not working,

1. Go to Settings > Apps. Find the Spotify app and tap on it.

2. Tap Mobile Data and Wi-Fi, then toggle the Background data setting on to allow Spotify to use data in the background.

1 Like

I only run Companion on my (Android) phone and not the game itself, but you should already be able to do this. Just start up your music app, hit the home button, launch Zwift. Works with everything I’ve tried (Spotify, VLC Media Player, Digitally Imported, Youtube Premium) and Companion, but again, I’ve never tried it with the actual Zwift game running on my phone.