Option to toggle auto-brake on/off/delay

Auto-braking was never a thing in the original beta. At some point this was added in with no option to toggle off or put a delay. This was one of the features I liked most about the original zwift. You could, like real life, coast and fiddle with your phone, food, whatever, and wouldn’t have to start from a dead stop. Granted, some people like it (I don’t get it, but that’s your preference), but at least give an option to toggle it off for a long coast down or a delay (30s, 60s, 90s, etc).

Auto-braking was not part of the original zwift beta and I’m surprised it was added and stuck for this long. Can this be set to a toggle item (off-coast down completely; 10s; 30s; 60s; etc)?

To appeal to the marketing/money types :grin:

What is the average amount of time spent on a single Zwift session? In the days without autobrake and even on the tiny loop that was Jarvis, I was easily spending 2-3+ hours on a session no problem. Once auto-brake became a thing, I found that my overall experience was negatively impacted given the annoyance to ride the same amount of time with zero coast. I went from Zwift evangelist to ‘meh’ precipitously. I would suspect others are in my camp whether they were part of the old days or don’t see the big ‘a-ha’ from outdoor riding to indoor on Zwift. To me, it really is replicating the trainer experience of riding the trainer when the beta was replicating the outdoor ‘feel’ while riding the trainer.

I suspect with this quality of life tweak, you would increase the length of the average zwift session per user and subsequently increase their user engagement by being active in the session for longer, as well as the continued want to ride more during the week. If people see those numbers going up, you might be able to recruit more Zwifters that weren’t convinced or people that haven’t made the swap yet. I know I would certainly come back.

I do understand folks that like auto-brake and even like racing with auto-brake on, but that’s why I say, make it a toggle. If you like it, then you keep it. If you don’t, then you aren’t forced to endure it.

1 Like

Where are you experiencing this? From what I understand, the only place with any sort of ‘auto braking’ in Zwift is the U-turn in London, and even that (again, from what I understand) is only going one direction. I can’t say that I’ve noted any issues with this, as my avatar does take a bit of time to coast to a stop.

It’s everywhere, unless you’re going down a steep hill. Ride with a pace partner, miss one or two pedal strokes to adjust your shoe, and you’ll find yourself slipping backward or even dropped. It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but being able to coast more realistically on the flats would be nice especially on long rides. I got my Volcano 25 laps badge yesterday… 3 hours of constant pedaling in the saddle. IRL I’d have the option to stand up and coast for 10-20 seconds every once in a while without coming to a complete stop or losing too much speed.

On the other hand, I did a ride on RGT and stepped away for a natural break at the top of a mild hill (1-3% gradient). My avatar was still rolling when I got back to the bike :joy:… so the adjustable delay is a nice idea too. In that case, I would’ve preferred for my avatar to stop.

What sort of trainer are you riding? What is your Trainer difficulty set at? Again, I have no issue with this, so I’m hoping we can figure out what’s going on for you. Even on a moderate descent (like from the end of Titan’s Grove near Saddle Springs down toward the Epic KOM turnoff) I can get off my bike and go to the bathroom, refill my bottle, or whatever, and my avatar is still rolling along when I return.

Riding a Tacx Neo 2 on Apple TV or iPad with TD at 100%.

Kickr Core, TD 100%, Windows 10. I don’t remember the exact numbers but I did try coasting down that hill recently. Don’t think I came to a complete stop but I was barely moving by the time I got to the bottom.

I have the exact same complaint. I have the Wahoo Kickr, and Zwift seems unable to apply braking/resistance to the Kickr when it applies auto-braking in game. Because of this bug (which is still not fixed), if I stop pedaling and my avatar slows down, I have to either stop my Kickr flywheel manually, wait for it to stop, or pedal like a maniac to register enough power input to get the character moving again. I wouldn’t be nearly as frustrated if Zwift made sure to make the resistance on the bike match the resistance it applies when braking my character, but because I can’t turn this feature off AND the trainer keeps spinning even though my character has stopped, it makes using Zwift for rides very unrealistic and frustrating.

Please fix this.

@Nigel_Tufnel Me personally, I use both a Wahoo Kickr but prefer to use my Lemond Fly-wheel & powermeter (still best ride feel IMO, but jet engine loud). Both systems it does this, if there is 0 watts input, the system either immediately or at some point will apply a braking function (different than a physics function on a >0% gradient). I do not want this myself, but I could see how some people like @CouchTo1200K would value the delay to catch those instances. My ideal is that the only two functions that slow you down are gravity and wind resistance. IRL, this is also the case, you tend to want to use brakes as absolutely little as possible for best ride flow.