No more gradient effort

Maybe a Kickr hardware issue but I seem to no longer feel any difference in the gradients. I just notice that the gradient number has gone up and my speed has gone down but my pedal effort seems the same. I can ride the London escalator 15% incline seated while everybody else is out of the saddle. My trainer resistance is set to max. Something is wrong because I used to really suffer up the steep inclines like everyone else. Any ideas?

Just FYI, I did a spindown.

Connected via Bluetooth?

It’s worth commenting that this is illusory rather than a real reflection of how others are riding. Zwift doesn’t in any way know whether someone is in or out of the saddle, and it always shows other riders out of the saddle if the gradient is 3% or more.

Would you like to know more…?

2 Likes

Daren, I have put 1200 miles on this Kickr and I definitely used to feel gradients of all types. The 15% incline in London always had me out of the saddle on my bike (both at home and virtually) and I really had to work for it. Now it’s just not that hard. Something has definitely changed.

I’m not disputing your problem - just noting that you can’t infer anything from anyone being “out of the saddle” or not. =)

Terry, I recently upgraded to iOS12. Any connection there?

Cheers Daren :slight_smile:

Not sure if IOS 12 or the recent Zwift update is to blame. Seems BT is causing some issues on Zwift for IOS devices however

Sorry what’s “BT”. Any fixes in the works?

Bluetooth

Hey there, look like I have a similar problem, no resistance change during my activity while I am supposed to climb. Nevertheless I install Zwift application on a PC not on apple device, I use an elite Drivo (recent 2018 model) connected to my PC with an ANT+ key… just use Zwift companion on my iPhone in the meantime… Does someone experience the same problem ? Do you find something to solve the problem ? Many thanks everybody, Stephanie

1 Like

@Stephanie_Lafay

I have the exact same problem with my elite direto. During workouts the resistance changes (in ERG mode), but while riding freely nothing happens when riding on inclines.

Anyone has a solution for this?

1 Like

Please try to use the FE-C option when pairing your trainer.

I have also started to experience this issue. I’m using tacx Neo + iPad.

Andy

I also have this issue since the last update from Zwift (1.0.48093), in free ride and also during workout with ERG mode ON.

I can feel some gradients, but definitely not the same as before. I don’t need to change gears anymore. Can be on the smallest one for a 15% climb while being on the same small gear on a flat road just before… I’m good, but not that good! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Speed and Watt are changing on the screen, but I don’t really feel the differences in the pedals…

Going downhill feels more difficult than going uphill, and it’s something new. Mytrainer difficulty setting remains unchanged (50%).

Smart Trainer : Elite Suito, UpToDate. Calibration done via Elite app. Bought new in 2019.
Firmware 191
I run Zwift on iOS (either iPad or Mac Book)
Connection via BT

Thanks for your help!!