New to Zwift, Turbo Training and Road Cycling

Hi all

I’m really after some advice. I have been riding trail for a while now, but due to work/family commitments have lapsed in my riding this year. Unfortunately due to a change in work I am sitting in a car for 3 hours rather than cycling 1.5 each day! Anyway, enough of the excuses. I decided last week to get a turbo trainer and start working off the fat and getting my legs back in shape! 

A few questions:

1. Is there any particular difference between using a mountain bike or road bike for the turbo trainer? I have to use a mountain bike due to back issues, yes I’m an old crock!

2. I tested my FTP on the shorter test, during which I thought I was going to vomit, which came out at 220w. What does that actually mean? I’ve been checking different forums and I guess it’s a base to work from.

3. I need to lose weight, which is one of my goals for Zwift, What would people suggest is a good workout, or workout series, for this?

4. Any other constructive advice?

Thanks all in advance

Just another thought.Is there an academy for fat boys/beginners?

Just an FYI, Zwift only supports 700 wheels.

Oh damn, I’ve only got 2!

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Thanks Paul I’ve got a 29er with TACX Vortex. I’ve got it up and running OK, more after training advice for a fat boy starting out.

1. No.

2. It’s the amount of power output you can sustain for 1 hour.

3. Diet diet diet.

4. Ride On!

Thanks Mark, that fits with about what I’d thought. Time to start sweating!