New Algo has killed TTT’s

Doing ZRL TTT and believe it or not the new draft/dynamic is arguably the worst it’s ever been. Bloody awful. This is worse than when Zwift had us riding zigzags down a straight road. My target wattage on the front was 400-410 w. In the line 5th-6th rider the crap game physics require me to put out 330-350 to not get gapped off. For the love of god. Why is it so hard for HQ not to get a stable and realistic system going?

Edit: as messages below elaborate, I’ve moved this from general discussion to buy as it might have been an issue.

Zwiftinsider tested it and saw savings of around 30% at the 4th wheel. You should be able to stick around 280 - 290 and stay in the draft. Are you a lot lighter than the others on the team?

1 Like

I’m the second heaviest on the team today but we are nearly all within the same narrow window.

Group was a lot smoother, and less front to back motion… but, drafting seemed reduced and hanging onto the back as I was, was tough. 3 or 4m gaps open up very quickly where as previously they wouldn’t do so.

Blockquote

I’m convinced there is some issue. Bug, maybe bike choice bug, setting etc. Look here: (link removed) and watch your wkg and J’swkg. He goes past you with lower wkg and yours is about 1.0 more than his. Your weights are approx same.

Blockquote

This is a message from an internal team debrief after the TTT. I was on the Grey sworks Venge with Zipp super 9/858 disc so the bike/wheel choice shouldn’t have been an issue. Regardless I’m going to try again with a fresh install. Maybe I found a new bug?

No I think you found one of the negatives of the new PD . If you reduce the stickiness of the draft , dont be surprised its harder to stick in the draft . I am not sure it kills TTT (Which after all has not really been born yet as an official ride type in Zwift so its not really killing it is it ) but it certainly changes the way you have to ride it and needs adjustment to team dynamics and tactics . You have to watch your tail as well as your head now much more closely to keep a good line , and protect the lead pulling rider from being accidently passed far more easily by riders not pulling enough watts.

Draft stickiness is not a proper RL simulation thing after all , its an artificial workaround for the fact we have no steering and more importantly braking in the virtual world . Nothing will be perfect all the time until that is supported fully … if it ever is , many years from now . Until then we perhaps should cut a little bit of slack on how much we really expect this to solve all issues . It just moves the deckchairs about that is all .

The change however does affect everyone so its arguably still a level playing field , if not a well manicured one that might be the case if the race type was actually supported .

When that happens some drafting features to better reflect how the dynamics best work in the TTT event.could maybe get supported ( much like removing draft all together happens in an ITT event) .