Native Apple silicon Support for M1 and M2 Macs Enabled [1.47] [September 2023]

Hi everyone,

I m not sure if it is just an issue with my MAC book air but since the update the performance is pretty bad…framerate is going in the knees pretty often… (<30 frames) and before the update the game seemed much more fluid. Ok looks nicer now but something is wrong.
Anyone else has this? I have the Macbook air M1 with 8GB, not the Pro.

Cheers

Earlier in this thread there was a similar discussion. Your laptop may be overheating.

You can use the TG Pro app (free trial for 2 weeks) to measure what is going on.

2 Likes

Thanks! Will have a closer look on that.

So yes this seems to be the problem indeed…after a few minutes it reaches 100 degrees…
Hopefully there will be a fix with the next update.
Thanks again!

I have an MBA M1 that I have used on Zwift in the past. If it looks nicer than before it is also working your graphics cores harder. You probably need to select medium (720P) game resolution in your settings if you want to keep the temperatures down. Zwift is now better on Apple silicon but you really need active cooling for a truly improved experience. TG Pro is excellent to monitor your temps. Often on sale for 50% off. Use it to select the game resolution that you are willing to push your machine temps to.
I don’t believe there will be a “fix” from Zwift for the issue as you are on a passive cooled entry level machine. A decent machine but it has limits. Zwift needs to allow those with active cooling the ability to set higher profiles… My current M2 fans don’t even come off idle at 4K UHD. Suggestive Zwift is running fairly efficiently now on Apple silicon.

1 Like

I’ve just clean installed macOS Sonoma on my M1 MacBook Air, I downloaded the latest version of Zwift from the Downloads page, why am I being asked to install Rosetta?

1 Like

Probably because there are still Intel and universal executables in the distribution, even though when you run the game it will use the native build

1 Like

I had the same thing, only during the install, the actual game itself was the Silicon version.

New to Zwift, and I’m testing a few options to see what provides the best experience.

I was originally planning to run this on an Apple TV 4K, but when comparing side-by-side a Mac clearly provides a better experience.

Is there a recommended set of settings for a MBP (M1 Pro, 14 core GPU) that will provide a balance of quality and efficiency? On a fresh install of Zwift (native Apple Silicon version) changing the resolution to 4K and battery saver to None gives me pretty nice visuals with shadows and everything, but the device starts to heat up pretty fast and the fans start screaming.

Do M2 Macs perform any better? What about one with a 19, 30, or 38 core GPU?

Set your own fan speeds. When I do video work, the OS does not increase fan speeds to prevent thermal issues. Just jack the fans and put your headphones on.

Monitoring thermals and other stuff is done nicely by this app

and lots of temperatures in a nice display (and also controls) in this app

Sadly there are no fans in an M1/M2 MacBook Air

1 Like

ah yeah sorry didn’t realize you were on that machine

“ZwiftInstaller for Mac OS requires Rosetta. Where is the installer for native M1 build?”

It’s the same installer for both, and there are some Rosetta executables such as the crash handler that seem to be used by both builds

Same problem here. When I choose “Not Now” it just aborts installation altogether. It should not ask to install something you don’t need. If the installer can’t detect the CPU type, then there should be two installers available to download: Intel Mac and M Mac. I’ll use my Apple TV for Zwifting until the installer is fixed.

Weird, not a clean/full M build then. They must have their reasons for not writing the crash handler natively. At least the game, mostly, runs natively? I won’t know as I won’t install Rosetta. Thanks for your reply. Apple TV for me for now — maybe not as good image quality but same great workout!

1 Like

I fresh install my Mac every year when the new OS comes out and was hoping I could forgo Rosetta this year, but Zwift had other plans. Oh well, maybe next year!

Hi BooX,

So can I get some clarity on this. by editing the high.txt to the settings applied - you get ALL the ultra profile bits?

I’ve been on the fence about a PC or a M2 Mac and not obtaining the ultra profile is the bit missing - if what you are doing is in effect forcing the Ultra profile - I’m off to buy the Mac…!

Hi

AFAIK the answer is yes. Actually… with the config posted higher up in this thread I get more details than the normal Ultra profil - it’s almost too much when trying to spot the Yeti on the Alpe between all the trees :blush:
If you just want the Ultra profile, then it’s a matter of copy and pasting the ultra.txt contents into the high.txt.

Please notice I’m on a Mac Mini M2 Pro - It’s hardly working with my config, but an entry spec M2 might have less headroom for tweaking the configs.

BòóX

Hi together,

does anybody know about the performance with a MacBook Air 15" M2 for Zwift?

At the moment I am at the decision to buy a MacBook Air 15" M2 or a MacBook Pro 16" M2 that will be mainly used in my Zwift Setup.

My favourite Notebook would be the MacBook Air 15" because its much more handy and lightweight, but has no fans…

Is it possible to run Zwift in 4K or ULTRA with the new native Apple Silicon Client while having acceptable tempratures, or would I need a MacBook Pro for this?

Any experience until here…?

Best Regards and many thanks
Jannik

1 Like