Native Apple silicon Support for M1 and M2 Macs Enabled [1.47] [September 2023]

Yes it does say ZwiftAppSilicon. And yes mo fan , but you would figure that if native it should not require treating it like it was unplugged in power save mode. Obviously this has game smoothness implications. Out of curiosity what are your thermals, plugged and unplugged in power save mode. Would be interested in the delta value… THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE!!

Sorry meant to say plugged BUT NOT USING POWERSAVE MODE

@GhostRider-ChainLink
I merged your subthread to the M1 discussion.

See this bit from the first post upstream. Would this apply to you, by any chance?

I’ve manually edited the config file, and it’s extreme beyond the Ultra profile.
I get a crazy amount of details and extra rendered stuff - and the Mini M2 Pro isn’t hardly working :grinning:

I might actually pull it slightly back, since it renders so many trees that I have difficulties capturing a propper Yeti photo now :grin:

BòóX

I tried this a while back before native support was finally rolled out, and certain worlds (Makuri and France especially) were getting some very weird freezes and glitches. What settings are you using? I may try again now that native support is real.

These are the only available settings for me so if plugged in I must choose “low power mode” otherwise the laptop cooks. I.e. If I choose “never” the laptop cpu/gpu rises to around 100 and turns orange meaning running way to hot. As an aside this the behaviour prior to the port to native so for me I really don’t see the improvement…

1 Like

These are from a ride today with the laptop plugged in.

First without Zwift running:

Without Zwift

Second, sitting at the home screen for 15 minutes. Fans are off here.

Home Screen

Third, after about 75 minutes of riding. Fans are on here.

End of Ride

2 Likes

Thanks for this, it would appear that even when not under intense graphics activity (Home Screen) the system heats up certainly more than it should. Temps drop as you ride under graphics load and have broached apples thermal setting for fan operation and thus the temps drop. Unfortunately for the MacAir with no fans it doesn’t have this out so it overheats. I honestly believe this to still be an issue as the statement that Zwift supports the M1 should come with a big caveat ref, power modes, frame rates etc as has been alluded to above. Again thanks for feedback, this is all good for Zwift HQ. To know

I’ll post the settings later today, when I’m close to the M2 :blush:
I actually ran some similar settings, before the native app was released and had close to no glitches on my setup - now it’s 99,9% perfect.

I had this issue too on the Mini M2 Pro… noticed the temperature rise like crazy, and then after some riding it was almost back to refrigerator levels.
Nothing dangerous, but high temperatures…

BòóX

The home screen has always been a very busy place as long as I can remember. No idea why.

One other thing I should mention is that I set the internal display on the laptop to 60Hz instead of ProMotion. I did that to fix the yo-yo effect of riders moving forward and back in unison. It may also reduce power consumption but I didn’t check.

Unrelated to Zwift, there are a lot of reports of overheating problems with the M1/M2 MacBook air from gamers and others who push the CPU hard. One common fix is to install a thermal pad between the heat sink and the chassis so it can transmit heat better. Doing that would also make a laptop cooling stand more effective.

res 1920x1080(0x)
sres 2048x2048
set gSSAO=1
set gFXAA=1
set gSunRays=0
set gHeadlight=0
set gFoliagePercent=2
set gSimpleReflections=0
set gLODBias=0
set gShowFPS=0

Is my current modified high.txt profile for the Mac mini M2 Pro - running on a 60FPS locked, 4K monitor :blush:

BòóX

Thanks, I do have a thermal pad ( two fans ) under laptop but with no power saving enabled when plugged in it still cooks. I guess I’ll live with this and limited fps for now. Perhaps MacOS needs some under the hood throttling for games in general… thanks again!! RIDE ON

A thermal pad is something you install inside the laptop so that heat is conducted from the heat sink to the chassis. Because there is an air gap in there, the laptop cooler with the fans doesn’t help much unless you do more to get the heat out of the laptop.

Here’s a discussion of it relating to the M2:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/08/11/m2-air-thermal-pad-mod/

1 Like

ok thanks. If I remember correctly, where I got into trouble was putting the foliage percentage to like 5, which is way too much foliage anyway. At that point you start to see greenery growing out of the asphalt.

Right, I don’t have that installed. Perhaps I will give it a go after riding a few times with power management on and seeing if it affects cycling experience. Thanks again!

Yeah… even at 2, the amount of stuff that renders might be slightly too much ( but we like it that way, when we’ve spend :moneybag::dollar::money_with_wings: on that Apple thingy :grin: )

BòóX

This is what I have in my currentconfig.txt and high.txt (because I’m not quite sure which Zwift pulls from) … I know on an M1 Max MacBook Pro I’m using the high profile thanks to zwiftalizer.com:

res 1920x1080(0x)
sres 2048x2048
set nAIBikes=24
set gSSAO=1
set gFXAA=1
set gSimpleReflections=0
set gSunRays=1
set gHeadlight=1
set gFoliagePercent=1.5
set gLODBias=0
set gShowFPS=0

If someone is wondering how to figure out what profile you are using, go into ~/Documents/Zwift/Logs and drag the Log.txt into zwiftalizer.com (need to have an account and login).

Then modify the file found in ~/Library/Application Support/Zwift/data/configs that matches what Zwiftalizer mentions as your profile.

2 Likes

Huge thanks to the team for making this happen. The experience is way better!

2 Likes

What about for tvOS? has that always been running native? Last I heard on these forums, there were tvOS optimizations in the pipeline.

Yes, tvOS (and iOS) has always been a native app.