My zwift display has frozen during my last 4 races

zwift is mostly working normally, BUT during my last FOUR races, the display froze. I also use Zwift Companion, and that continued to show my dot moving on the map, so I kept ‘racing’. Since there were only 3 of us, I was able to see where the others were and finish, but it’s not good! Plus during one of the 4 races, it completely lost connection, and I was not able to finish teh race.

It works normally during other zwift sessions. The internet strength seems good, about 41MPBS.

On what device are you running Zwift? Please post the specs. We’re there a fair number of people in these races?

It’s a Microsoft Surface Pro 9. WIndows 11. Fully up to date on updates. Display resolution is 2880 by 1920.

Also, the races I mostly do have under 10 starters. Often it’s 5 of us.

Only happens in races,… Try turning your resolution down to 1920x1080, I have and older pc with windows 10 and Zwift would overheat my graphics and cause the screen to freeze. If that doesn’t work change your in game resolution down to med -720p

1 Like

Start by disabling video screenshots in settings

Your internet performance is not a factor here

Thanks, Paul. I found that and disabled that. I have seen some videos auto-done for (or to?) me recently.

If there are any alternate video driver packages you could use for your hardware, that would also be a reasonable thing to try (eg, if you have Intel graphics, check if the Intel site has a different version available)

Here is the easy answer to this matter .

On your screen when you have a freeze and are still going on Companion App do this.

Top left corner is a “Z” click it on right mouse button, select “refresh” and you will be back to normal .

Or this…

Minimise the screen and then bring it back up immediately . Back to normal .

Works for me every time it freezes on my Windows PC.

:grin::+1:

1 Like

This happened to me yesterday and the day before. Never happened before. is it a bug in the update? Its ok in the middle of a workout to get off the bike to fiddle with the screen, not sure its practical in the middle of a race!

I use my Surface PC like a tablet. It is mounted on the front of the handlebars. I don’t have a keyboard or a mouse.

I am able to minimize the screen and maximize it again, but in my case, that didn’t work.

@Erik_Brooks Thanks for the effort with self-help to get this resolved. I imagine how important it is for you to complete your races!

Could you please confirm your PC is running the last game version? The latest version is 1.59. In addition, does it occur in different rides (e.g., free ride, workout, group event, pacer ride)?

I fired up zwift on the PC. It started to update, so I pressed “Update Later”, and during the startup, I saw it show 1.59.00 - I’d never noticed any version number before.

It has ONLY done this during races. It did it during 4 races in a row, using my new Surface Pro 9. In spite of these issues, I’m still in a close 3 way battle to win a very minor series championship. Because of that, I did last Tuesdays race using my older Surface Pro 6, which has never had this problem. I will use the old PC for the remaining 2 races, and will use the newer one for other Zwift rides, and maybe a race or two that I don’t care so much about.

I intend to accept any other zwift updates that come in.

Erik

Hi, I had this problem again today, I was 1 hour 30 mins into a race, it made it extremely difficult to finish the race I was doing as I needed to climb the Zwift com and finish on a sprint.This has been happening since about November time, My first experience happened in the Zwift Academy first long workout just as I went through the complete banner (that would have been a similar riding time as today’s). Most of the times I get this it happens when an update has been released, I assume the update is installing in the back ground and the frozen display is either when the update has finished or it is the part of the route that has been updated and my pre-updated map is not the same as the Zwift server for the update version so it gets confused and sticks. Although I have had it twice this week the other time was when the banners on the menu screen changed at the start of the week, when I was cooling down with the pace partner at the end of an event, it only seams to happen on rides more than 45 mins or so. This only seams to affect cycling and has never happened so far in running. I am running version 1.59 on windows 11 (it never happened on windows 10 although that maybe a coincidence)

Thanks John

Just to add minimizing has not worked for my any of the times this issue has happened, screen is locked, I need to alt ctrl delete to shut the app, then close my computer and reboot it, and start again.
Thanks John

Hi, I’m having the same issue. It has worked on my Windows laptop for over a year. 3 out of the last 4 rides it has frozen. So after 24 March 2024. I have just uninstalled the app. Installed VC_redist.x64.exe as recommended on Zwift site. And reinstalled the app.

Minimising when it freezing does not work. The screen is completely unresponsive.

I will test again tomorrow because I don’t have time to start all over again with my workouut.

Crash report:

environment : rc,
release : zwift-game-client@1.61.0+127957,
session_id : ebc08560-cb7e-49cb-9220-a818c91de1c6,
timestamp_utc : 2024-04-03 00:14:56.0093535,
user.analytics_id : 3d2dc52e-5cba-478a-95e4-4c6c5d31eea6,
user_id : 5292014

SPECS

Device name laptop
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-12500H 2.50 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
Device ID 79A370FA-B987-4C49-977C-459F6F74E769
Product ID 00342-20879-02044-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 23H2
Installed on ‎24/‎02/‎2023
OS build 22631.3374
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0

Have you already disabled video screenshots? Tried running in windowed mode?

Which GPU is in the laptop? If you contact support they may be able to identify something to try by looking at your log file. Usually the first thing they suggest is finding a different or updated video driver. For example if you have an Intel GPU then try a driver downloaded from Intel instead of from Microsoft or the laptop manufacturer.

Hi Paul, Thanks for the reply.
My GPU is Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics Driver version 30.0.101.1660 Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher. I will try an Intel Driver and see how it goes.

I already run in windows mode because I use Sauce for Zwift. I have not changed any settings that were there before it started failing.

I have installed Intel Graphics Driver 31.0.101.5382 I will test and report back.

Video screenshots was already disabled.

You should also try it without sauce because there can be a substantial additional CPU load from running Sauce depending on exactly what you have put on the screen. You may find it’s more stable without Sauce.

That’s disappointing to hear! Maybe that is my issue. It was only a recent addition. I added it in February and have used it since then. I just want average and NP. The draft tool seems good to.