Looking for riders to train with at about 180 watts

I am in the US and generally ride about 2:30a GMT (6:30p Pacific Time in the US)

I would like to find some folks to ride with at a bit under 200 watts.That puts my heart rate in the 150’s which is over the max for a 75 year old, but seems to work for me. My Zwift name is 75LYNN ZHR(J).

I am new to Zwift and am not sure how to connect with people. Here is my mail address if it doesn’t get filtered out. lynn at flashtiming with the usual suffix.

Best place to connect with people is Facebook and the Zwiftriders group. Also look at group rides with the Zwift Mobile App that are sub 2 w/kg or sub 2.5 w/kg.

Hope this helps.

I joined two days ago and am floundering about. I’m 72 and riding ‘a bit under 200watts’ is exactly the area for me to explore.

I’ll follow the advice from Nigel Doyle and see if I can find this Zwiftriders group that he mentions.

I joined two days ago and am floundering about. I’m 72 and riding ‘a bit under 200watts’ is exactly the area for me to explore.

I’ll follow the advice from Nigel Doyle and see if I can find this Zwiftriders group that he mentions.

Good to hear from you John. What time of the day do you like to ride? I am GMT-8 in Oregon, USA. I usually ride between 6 and 8 pm local time. You can email me directly if you prefer. lynn at flashtiming with the usual suffix. Or search for flashtiming and you will find my contact info.

I did a ride yesterday using Nigel’s suggestion. It was named the Rock Cycle Club ride and was billed as a category D. I got dropped about 8 minutes into it. Once I was out of the pack it was hard to maintain their pace. I was a bit disappointed, not knowing if I was riding with a bunch of young riders or I am just not able to do what I think I should. My guess is the watts/kg needed to be over 2 to keep up.

Thanks for contacting me!

Lynn Saunders

Question for Nigel:

You say…Best place to connect with people is Facebook and the Zwiftriders group

I’m totally new so could you tell me, please, how to find the Zwiftriders group? If it is just one group it is likely to have an average ability level well above mine, so how does one group work for older/slower guys?

John

Hi John. There are a number of Facebook groups for Zwifters:

Zwiftriders. A general group of mixed abilities. Probably the biggest Facebook group for Zwifters
https://www.facebook.com/groups/zwiftriders/

Zwift for over 50’s. Not one I’ve checked out even though I’m over 50. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5wifters/

Lynn. Think I’ve done that same group ride as you mention a few weeks ago. The ride leader / beacon completely ignored the ride’s description and pretty much treated it as a race and dropped most of the group. Other group rides are much better managed. 

Hi Nigel

Thanks for that comment…

I have joined the Zwift group you mention for the over 50

… just as a guy was asking about to see how many individuals aged over 70 there are and it turns out there are quite a few.   John.

Hello,

I was thinking of making a post like this myself. I much prefer riding with a smaller group. Every 1.5 group ride I have been on is a farce and I’ve needed 3-4.0 w/kg to keep up on a straight in every one of them. It’s not always the leader’s fault as 50-90% of the riders are usually in front of him or her at any given time. Do note I ride at 85% gradient. That means I shift every gear and feel every uphill grade (yes, default gradient setting cheats.)

I’m shorter in the tooth, but I know the secret retirement handshake and can ride at any time. I’m SE of Chicago and I ride a LOT. I’m going to start adding names here, so don’t think I’m a stalker.

Followers names should show up as a different color in the ZML player list and when you start Zwift. Click “ride with” and hope for the best…

Cary

P.S. all follow req’s sent!

Hello Cary, I certainly agree about the 1.5 - 2 groups. I rode with one last evening and they were strung out for 2 minutes when I lost interest. The ride leader was 16 years old and had just joined Zwift. I’m not saying it was his fault. I think the D events are joined by lots of folks that can ride at higher classifications.

Today I am going to try and better understand what the process is for leading a ride. I am 75 and would very much like to ride with others my age. I am thinking about requesting folks that join to respect the fact that older riders are at a disadvantage  because of the normal decline of strength, heart rate, long capacity, etc… Zwift has women’s only events and if you are male you can’t join. I would like to see events with age restrictions and if you were outside the band you could not join. Women understandably do not want to have their butts kicked by men and older riders feel the same way when competing with someone 40 years younger.

I do not understand the gradient setting comments above. Please explain. Also I would like to better understand the color change on the ZML list.

Thanks,

Lynn

Oregon

Hi Cary

I see you are following me… thank you.

I can’t see how to follow you though and I notice you are riding right now… I’m heading for the shed and can’t join you.

I typed in cary sporinski 57 and it said there was no-one with that name… am I missing something?

I have made contact with Lynn through email, he disguised his a bit so I will do the same … it is a long string of my name johnleitch followed by 65 followed by @ followed by gmail.com.

John