Laptop for zwift

Hi,

I’m looking for a laptop only to be used primarily for zwift, nothing else really. Doesn’t have to be a crazy gaming machine. Will this one be ok or should I look for 8gb ram?

Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop, 15.6 inches Full HD IPS Display, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U, Vega 3 Graphics, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10 in S Mode, A515-43-R19L Amazon.com

Zwift is graphics intensive, so look for something with a good gpu.

If it is only for zwift then a used desktop might be better and cheaper.

I was in the same situation when I started Zwift, as I was tiring of taking my laptop to the basement and connecting it to the TV (which was already there because I used to watch cyclocross while on the trainer). My solution was to get an Apple TV 4K. It’s worked out very well, as I can also use the Amazon Prime Video and NBC Sports Gold apps (and plenty of other stuff) on the same TV. The ATV graphics (for Zwift) aren’t as great as some of the computers, but they are good enough for me, and the price point is hard to beat.

1 Like

I would suggest something with Nvidia graphics. This is the best Black Friday deal around Lenovo Ideapad L340 Here’s a bunch of others Gaming Laptops For Zwift Under $800 USD | Zwiftalizer Blog or AppleTV 4K if you already have a TV you could use.

1 Like

Thank you, these links are very helpful!

Here’s another bargain, AMD Ryzen 5 CPU with Nvidia GTX 1050 graphics, 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD for $511
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Gaming-15-EC0013DX-NVIDIA-1050-8GB/dp/B08121CLYZ&tag=zwiftalizer-20

I’m using an old iMac ( c 2009) gpu isn’t unto hi-res graphics, but even at the lower definition and frame rate , the graphics are good enough for training :wink:

Thanks Mike, ordered the Lenovo! :slightly_smiling_face:

Tina, have you had any issues with Zwift freezing mid ride with your Lenovo laptop?

@Myriam_Saenz-Mader, FYI, Tina hasn’t been active on the forums for over 2 years, since Nov. 2019. This is a very old thread.

I have a Lenovo Legion 5i with i7-1075H and GTX-1660Ti…no problems last night.

thanks Mike

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 5 with i5, it constantly freezes mid ride but not on all rides just random ones. I changed the UHD and seemed to work fine for about 2 weeks and now its freezing again. I meet all the requirements so not sure what to do next .

Have you dropped your log files in Zwiftalizer? Assuming your IdeaPad is relatively new I would be looking at connections: between devices and to the internet.

Your log files will be under Documents/Zwift/Logs

Drag the ones that dropped or froze and see what they say…

yes , I get a Udp disconnect, is that the network ??

According to this thread UDP disconnects are not too worrying: Frequent UDP disconnects?

If your ANT+/BT connections are fine try rebooting your router. Otherwise the only thing left is the actual model/configuration of your laptop and the possibility that it is being overwhelmed.

let me try that . thanks again

Device name Phil-New-Laptop
This works well
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-10210U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.11 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.78 GB usable)
Device ID 88CDB14B-DBFC-48BD-BDD0-569DDDCD2981
Product ID 00325-81924-82909-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display