iPad frame rate drops below 50% battery

I’m using an iPad Air 4, with iOS 15, and whenever the battery level is 49% or below, the frame rate drops to about 15fps, which makes for a jerky display. This happens every time, and every time it is the battery level change that triggers it. You can see it clearly in the Zwiftalizer log analysis from one of my recent rides (below). I don’t want to charge the iPad during the ride (yet another wire to tangle in the garage), but I’m only getting about 2.5 hours out of the first 50% these days, and I do at least one longer session per week.

Is this a Zwift thing? An iOS 15 thing? I can’t find any iOS configuration options that might help.

Is it this?

You’ve asked this before: Zwift iOS 15 - #6 by Thomas_Wright1

It’s probably an iPad thing.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that’s not it - not activated in my case, and only suggested automatically by iOS when the battery is very low (10%?).

I did, good memory :slightly_smiling_face: I hoped a new specifically titled thread might elicit a concrete solution…

Nah I just Googled it and your previous post was one of the results. :rofl:

I don’t think anything can be done about it tbh.

Solution for me has always been to run a 10-foot USB cable between iPad and a wall charger when Zwifting.

There are some great wall gizmos that add multiple USB ports so you don’t even need to remember a wall wart: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B088BJ88NC/

(I use that specific one in my pain cave)

1 Like

Yup. 100%. I ran Zwift on an iPad Pro for two years. Bought a longer USB-C cable and always had it, my phone, and the trainer plugged into the same multi-socket block. The cables stayed out of the way and I never had to worry about running out of charge.