Intel integrated graphics gen 10 and 11

Thanks for the reply. Zwift tech support just gave me some tips to adjust a few settings, although this is a known issue. They did tell me that my laptop is more than sufficient to run Zwift, but the issue is still being worked on. I guess I’ll have to deal with it until a fix is created.

I’ve been banging this drum for a while, especially about that recommended specs page which is pants. It’s still a 3D game, even if a pretty basic looking one by modern standards.

1 Like

Hi Brian - did you actually have to install a new graphics card and purchase one? What did it cost you? Cheers Rob

I’m curious what options tech support gave you? I’m having similar issues. I’m thinking of rolling back to an older driver but I’m not sure which one to roll back to…any help would be appreciated.

The Intel chip in our laptop is definitely the problem, just not enough oomph. We’re doing the same thing. Taking an older laptop and stripping it down for nothing but Zwift. Best of luck!

I’ll try to make this brief…

It appears I now have Zwift working with no crashes!

I was using Intel’s driver updates, but Intel told me to use my laptop manufacturer’s updates (Dell).

In this thread, or maybe another, someone said to install x driver from March 2020. I didn’t have the same option, but I installed the Dell driver from March 2020, and this seems to have fixed the Zwift crashing issues.

Intel and Zwift don’t seem to care, and Dell discourage using out of date driver updates, but what I did works for Zwift.

I’ve done about 18 hours or more, across about 14 rides and everything has worked well.

I had been badgering Zwift support for a while, as I enjoy the platform, but was getting totally frustrated by the constant freezes. I have been doing some experimentation and have managed to find a few issues which seem to exacerbate the problem. I am using an i5 with 16g of memory.

1. Keep the game resolution on the low setting, I have experimented on higher levels, medium seems ok. but on high Zwift crashed 3 times in an hour. For me I’m not particularly interested in how pretty things look, and when your racing, if you can look around and admire the scenery, you’re not doing it right :blush:
  2. This is a strange one, but I have previously messed about with sock length without paying much attention to how it effects Zwift performance. I tend to go for long socks for TT’s just because that’s what I use in real life. One day I was racing in ZHR masters, where everyone in an age category wears the same kit. I decided to try long pink socks and yellow shoes to help me differentiate my avatar. That day I had my first crash in 3 weeks. The next day I kept the same kit and crashed again. Since then I have stuck to short socks and have managed 3 weeks again crash free.
    I don’t know if this is a coincidence, or whether there really is an issue, and unless someone from Zwift wants to pay me for continuing to experiment, I’m sticking to short socks and low game resolution. I’m sure my neighbours appreciate the lack of sudden outbursts of swearing.
1 Like

Same problem, now I’m using rouvy. I’ve bought my pc in September. Any solution?

Zwift doesn’t crash for me but the screen freezes for 2s to 20s (then continues) at 38 to 39minutes of riding. Every…single…time. I’ve been ignoring the issue but would like to go back to racing. Not feasible if it freezes as I would get dropped in a heartbeat.

Dell XPS 13 9310
11th Gen Intel i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
16.0GB RAM / 1TB SSD
Intel Iris XE graphics :frowning:

The freeze between 38 and 39 minutes is almost certainly when Zwift automatically takes a screenshot - it fits the timing of that. In my setup it creates a visible stutter (<= 1s) but never a longer freeze period. If your spec didn’t say SSD I would have guessed that it could be because of slow disk access on a HDD blocking the process. Something in the in-game implemenation is definitely suboptimal.

Brilliant! Never thought about the auto screenshot. If I try to snap a manual picture (via Companion) then it also freezes for 2-20sec. I didn’t connect the dots.
First, I need to figure out if I can turn off the auto screenshot and, 2nd-why does it freeze so long?

Edit: I’ll turn off Image Uploading in settings and see if that works. If not, maybe something to twiggle in the prefs file?

There isn’t any extra settings to tweak directly in prefs.xml.
What you can try is to exclude the Pictures\Zwift folder from scanning in your antivirus software and see if it makes a difference.

My pc is OK for first 30 min more or less, after that any extra ops I make (like click a ride on or enter in menù) is probably that cause a crash,also the 38th minute is very hard to pass

Try this from my post above:
I’ll try to make this brief…

It appears I now have Zwift working with no crashes!

I was using Intel’s driver updates, but Intel told me to use my laptop manufacturer’s updates (Dell).

In this thread, or maybe another, someone said to install x driver from March 2020. I didn’t have the same option, but I installed the Dell driver from March 2020, and this seems to have fixed the Zwift crashing issues.

Intel and Zwift don’t seem to care, and Dell discourage using out of date driver updates, but what I did works for Zwift.

I’ve done about 18 hours or more, across about 14 rides and everything has worked well.

1 Like

After being pointed in the right direction by Jesper I thought I’d post my experiences. For me, screen capture is an issue.
Zwift on my laptop screen capture takes <1s and file size is 400kb
Screen capture after projecting to large screen take 2-20s and file size is 2MB

I changed laptop projection to ‘duplicate’ vs ‘extend’ and screen capture is <1s (uses laptop screen)

I’m projecting to large screen via USB-c to dongle with HDMI.

Finally, in settings I changed ‘Image Uploading’ to ‘Never’ and the system no longer automatically tries to take a screen capture at 38minutes.

I’m happy as it has solved my problem and I can jump into races now. Thanks.

1 Like

Could be final solution?

Update 1.19.1 - November 18th
We’ve released update 1.19.1 for PC to address a crashing issue on launch. No other platforms are impacted by this issue.

• Fixed a crash that would occur at login on some PC devices with Intel graphics cards.

If you encounter anything unusual with this update, please post in the thread below.

See you in Watopia, Ride On!

Randy thanks for your feedback. I’ve been having same freeze up. Just changed image upload to never and changed resolution to low. I was already set for duplicate. Hope it works for me. Thanks again.

1 Like

It happened again, right this instant.

Can’t auto save at least up to where the game crashed? It is a shame to lose your training every time.

Help please

These are the data from my computer:

Windows 11 Home
Display Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics
Driver version 30.0.100.9805
It would be nice for Zwift to constantly save the ride data, for example after every kilometer traveled, so in case of problems, you’ll never lose the activity carried out until that moment.

Thanks

1 Like

You’re posting in the wrong thread, which doesn’t help. This one was about the game crashing on launch, not an hour later.

Anyway your problem sounds like this: Crash mid game (PC) - #3 by Dave_ZPCMR

1 Like

Thanks Dave,
I have read your post, but it is now closed and I cannot reply from there.

So, my problem is not solvable?

I got a new PC and now I can no longer use Zwift for this reason? I do not understand. Will there be a way to update Zwift and prevent this from happening?

Sorry but I’m not very familiar with the forum. Do you suggest me to open a new thread?

Thanks again