Increase baseline resistance

Who said anything about manually change resistance?

You can manually set a baseline incline.
Never tried it myself, but read a lot about it.

Ah, got it. Does that allow us to still go in to other workouts and retain the increased baseline?

Don’t know if the incline is saved.
In ERG theres no incline anyway, the trainer will set the watts.

I have just started using zwift again after a 3 year break and I too feel that baseline resistance is too low (using Direto Elite) . Would be nice if there was a simple way to increase this.

1 Like

Exactly same problem/will here. I have a Suito Elite and in the free ride mode I need to use higher gearing to have a decent power output, while in my workouts I can use lower gearing with a stronger base resistance.

2 Likes

Using Tacx Neo and I have the same problem. Everything is supposed to be super accurate but I find myself needing an extra gear or two in the finishes on flats where I wouldn’t need one on the road. It’s probably accurate for the virtual world conditions & finishing speeds but it just doesn’t feel right in practice.
An option to increase baseline resistance would be the right solution here.

Riding on a 1x11 cyclocross bike with a Kickr 18, and the lack of resistance is a real pain in fast/flat races. I’m in my tallest two gears for the entire race. I would love to be able to increase the resistance enough to stay in the middle of the cassette.

1 Like

Adding my vote here. It would be nice to be able to run at a lower wheel speed to keep the volume a bit lower for late night rides.

Also I do feel like I don’t run out of gears at a given power as often outside. Perhaps I need a zwift non-aero frame option to simulate my real world set up :wink:

2 Likes

Believe it or not switching from Bluetooth to ant+ will increase baseline resistance.

I would also like more resistance control in zwift though.

1 Like

While struggling to find a good gear on a time trial (compact chainset, could not hit a good cadence between two hardest gears) I had a thought.

How about addressing this by allowing the trainer difficulty to go above 100%?

Settings from 0 to 100 could function as they do now, but settings above 100 could add a fixed offset to the slope (e.g. + 1% to all gradients). Even a small offset of 1% would give me a massive cadence improvement.

1 Like

I’ve got exactly the same problem with my Kickr Core. 100% difficulty in zwift.

Using the Wahoo Fitness app with a simulated 0% gradient, the whole thing feels great, just like being on the road - for example, i’ll be in the big ring at the front and middling on the rear and will have to put out about 220+ watts to bring up a 90rpm cadence.

Start up zwift on a flat course and on the 0% flats i’m putting out 150 watts at 90rpm in the second from highest gear on the bike. You can feel the resistance drop as you start to ride the course.

I’ve tried bluetooth, ant+ (with bluetooth off) on both my iMac, macbook pro and ipad and it’s the same on all platforms and connections. I’m also in conversation with wahoo, but this doesnt seem like a problem with the kickr itself as their app simulates perfectly. Seems to me that zwift isnt sending the low resistance values over correctly.

Climbing up hills over 2-3% seems fine, resistance changes are spot on.

The only workaround i have is to put a 5mph wind resistance on in the wahoo app and then run zwift.

@Mark_Angel-Trueman

This may be a shot in the dark, but try to increase your FTP and see if that makes a difference. I have seen post about that.

I’ll give it a go. It’s set at 230 at the moment which is perfect for ERG mode workout training for me but i’ll see if increasing it helps on sim mode.

1 Like

That is a desent FTP number, I have my doubts that my shot in the dark will hit something. :frowning: :grimacing:

I have almost the same setup and ftp as you, except for an older kickr snap. Same deal outside I live mid cassette. wahoo gradient simulation mid cassette. zwift hardest three gears. And I run an 11T small cog inside vs 12T on my outdoor wheel.

Way way back pre-kids when I was fitter with an ftp closer to 300 watts I still rarely touched the highest two gears outside.

The power jumps between gears (or cadence jumps for same power) all just feel a little more extreme specifically at near 0% gradients. Climbs feel right to me as well.

2 Likes

Hi mark this is the only workaround I’ve found for this exact issue on 0% flat roads. Core arrived a couple days back and I just couldn’t figure out why I was having to ride in my 2 hardest gears. Today I upped wind in the wahoo app, closed the app, ran zwift 3 times on tempus fugit to test and I had proper resistance at 0% and was able to adjust gears as I would outdoors.

I switch my tv and core off at the plug now. Tomorrow will I need to do the wind changes again or will it work ok?

3 Likes

I have to do the wind changes every time that I plug the core in unfortunately. I’ve confirmed with Wahoo that this is a 100% zwift issue so im resigned to it not being fixed in the near future. Thankfully it’s not a deal breaker but it is really annoying.

1 Like

Thanks for the speedy response. At least there seems a workaround hey. Just to ask, do you open wahoo app on phone first and change wind? Or open zwift first? Cheers

I normally start Zwift first, start pedalling, remember that it’s broken and then open the wahoo app to fix it :D. I find that something around 5-8mph is a good value for it. That shifts my rear cassette usage up by about 3-4 positions.

I do have a support ticket open and have pointed them to this thread but i doubt that anything will get done thought that mechanism. Support doesn’t seem to have a route through to product/project teams. I guess that it’s a 1st line team and tickets just go into a black hole if they don’t follow a script.

1 Like

Thanks mark. I had zwift open first when I managed to get it working so this process makes sense.

All the best and thank you for the quick replies.

1 Like