Incline control... WHEN?

Hello, I have the newer HORIZON 7.8 AT (late 2020), and it connects and works flawlessly with Zwift.
No fuss, very easy setup and the speed seems super accurate (all things considered). As this treadmill is compatible with Kinomap and there is INCLINE control on THAT plateform (it’s really much much more satisfying to be following a route without having to think about adjusting the slope), I truly hope ZWIFT RUNNING will provide this, so we can have a more realistic experience much like cyclists who have been on fully interactive trainers for a long time, the era of the fully interactive treadmill is here: who would not want this?

What stops Zwift from offering this possibility, the FTMS technology is here now!

In the mean time, I will try connecting through RUNCLINE to see if Zwift will control the incline automatically.

I wouldn’t hold your breath. There’s no standard protocol for this so it needs some sort of industry standardisation.

3 Likes

Agreed, it would be so much nice to run an include without having to watch out for it on the screen and manually adjust!!

5 Likes

They won’t even address the Wahoo Climb for workouts, which has been on the market for a few years now and was pretty much created for Zwifting, so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

1 Like

Hello,

They will never add this. It is far too dangerous.
On a bike, it’s all in the legs, your bike stands still.

On a treadmill, you would quickly end up flying backwards.

5 Likes

That’s a bit of a wierd rant.
Workouts are supposed to be in ERG mode, so no feel for a climb.

1 Like

And yet, other apps offer it as a facility and don’t consider it “too dangerous”.

8 Likes

FTMS seems to be protocol that most connected fitness equipment are using presently. It’s working flawlessly on Kinomap, and the incline is adjusted automatically. It just works perfectly there, so it shouldn’t be a big fuss to bring incline to Zwift since the speed is connecting with no problems.

6 Likes

Hello Enzo. I beg to differ, it’s working flawlessly on Kinomap, the incline is adjusted automatically, I’ve used it on numerous runs, including trails in the Alps, and there is absolutely no danger: if the incline is getting too intense you just decrease the speed…like in real life!
It just works perfectly there, so it shouldn’t be a big fuss to bring incline to Zwift since the speed is connecting with no problems.

4 Likes

My feeling exactly! It’s working flawlessly on Kinomap, and the incline is adjusted automatically. It just works perfectly there,no danger whatsoever so it shouldn’t be a big fuss to bring incline to Zwift since the speed is connecting with no problems.

2 Likes

Well I get your point.

But imagine a new user jumping on their first Zwift race on Bologna and finding themself with their treadmill going to 16% without them being ready. What will happen? They will fall off… On the bike you never could fall off.

I know it’s being extreme, but these days, major companies get sued for anything and I’m sure that’s something they have to look deeper into in order to make it work properly.

1 Like

Hi Enzo, I agree that companies will try to protect themselves from almost any possibilities of lawsuits these days, but…
All treadmills have a protective delay on the incline motor that prevents any sharp movement and lets the runner ample time to react accordingly, there is absolutely no chance somebody would fall down because of this. The same way that when we are training on a pre-determined random hill workout and that we feel the need to either decrease the incline AND/OR the speed, there is nothing different when the incline is controlled by KINOMAP let’s say. I just did this exact same thing yesterday: I was running 12km/h and the incline went from 1% to 8% to follow the trail, I had no problem slowing down to 10km/h and then, because the hill was long and I was getting tired, I just decreased the incline as well. Super easy, and I was not one second in danger of losing control… its just not a possibility with the treadmill reaction time (even on a very fast machine like the 7.8 AT, each 1% difference takes well over 2 seconds to accomplish).
So… in my opinion, it works perfectly on Kinomap and its a great addition to the pleasure and effectiveness of treadmill training on hills, and I would humbly suggest that Zwift considers offering the same possibility to the users.

8 Likes

Much like for trainers you should be able to adjust difficultly default is 50%. It should be set to 0% by default for the treadmill. Then the user can change the %.

6 Likes

Where does Zwift show you the incline. I’m happy to change it manually but can’t see it. Thanks.

Top right hand corner on the minimap

The text is too small and most of time the colour of the text is white.

The size of the font has been mentioned on numerous occasions when it comes to running as it can be harder to focus when running as opposed to cycling.

The white changes through yellow to red as the gradient increases, I’ve not had issue distinguishing the colours myself but can appreciate others may

on a mobile phone - it is less than ten pts and very small and needs to be bigger.

Thank you. Perfect. Now to get the RUNN to get somewhere near the treadmill speed!

See how you get on with calibrating it as each setup is different and calibration can work better sometimes at lower speed and sometimes at higher speeds.