I would like to ride the Haute Route event, but the game engine makes it physically impossible

Same for me, 8000 riders in the 12:00 EST Haute route and I spent 15 minutes pedaling away in the same spot. I’m using a PC and never had any problem before today. Super frustrating since I have been looking forward to this weekend for over a month. I also do not understand why Zwift would not add more times when you could see two days ago there were thousands of riders signed up for each event.

5 Likes

Hi! Yes, I lined up today for Haute Route twice, @ 9h EDT & 12h EDT…both instances I experienced the same result, I was at the start line for over 15 minutes for each event, then as soon at the event started, I believe I rode 5 metres and then “POOF”, the app dropped. I also tried to re-enter the app but I was never prompted to rejoin the event. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to join in the other 3 Haute Route events this weekend. : (
I understand there are many users and the servers must be over-heating but it is somewhat frustrating when looking forward to joining an event.
This has happened to me perhaps 5 or 6 times with other events; my wi-fi isn’t the issue because I’m always able to ride “regular” Zwift routes.
To those that took part in the ride, enjoy!!

1 Like

Yes, Zwift add more time slots for this event, please.

Thanks. I used the laptop for the 12pm EDT Haute Route and it was able to get me through. The graphics look a lot better on the laptop. I experienced a 7 or 8 drops where everyone disappeared and came back sometimes requiring me to re-ride the last few minutes I rode. This happened a lot on the Volcano climb. I don;t know if that is my issue or Zwift’s but I have noticed that the companion app is having a lot of difficulties today.

Thanks again for all the help.

I was logged in twice today t the right times and nothing happened within the app. WTH?

1 Like

Yep. Just to add to the list. I’m using a very high end gaming laptop and I couldn’t even get into Watopia. Tried for 10 minutes, it kept freezing on the loading screen. Finally was able to get into Richmond but couldn’t get into the event. Very frustrating. Normally I wouldn’t even try to Zwift at 11am (Pacific Time) but when I checked yesterday 9 and 11 were my only options.

1 Like

Tried twice today to do the event.

Got in at least 10 mins before the start each time and within 10 secs of the start the app crashed. I know I’m using an old iPad (lack of space) so thought I wouldn’t pedal at the beginning and let everyone go ahead. Still crashed.

Poor experience but at least the second time I didn’t waste time getting kitted up as I knew what would happen :wink:

Very poor planning on Zwift’s part - with limited slots for the event considering how many slots they have had for the recent two tour events.

1 Like

Additional time slots have been added!

Zwift, you need to reschedule for people who were kicked out and can’t join again today! I’m really dissapointed as I prepared for this and are not able to complete this Haute Route anymore. :cry::angry:

4 Likes

Poor planning for the Haute Route. System crashed almost straight away. Decent laptop and perfect internet connection. Very disappointed. :rage:

3 Likes

The problem here is not the 28000 concurrent users, it is the 8000 riders being at one spot. When the game is trying to calculate the closest 100 riders, it chasing a moving target. We all know how Zwift starts are, and when you have 8000 starting all at their own pace, you may change like thousands of positions in a couple of seconds. The code needs to take that kind of situations in acount.

I’ve riden Tour de Zwift stages with many thousands of participants before without having any issues. I think @Anna_Ronkainen may be onto something here, and they’ve changed the code to fix the fence, but are causing this now.

2 Likes

I had the same issue, I clicked yes to join the ride and nothing happened, I just kept riding watopia. I restarted Zwift and second time worked. Fortunately I had given myself lots of time

We need a redo of HAUTE ROUTE WATOPIA stage 1. Today it threw me out multiple times. I love Zwift but was very dissatisfied today.
P

2 Likes

I had the same issue finally got in and there was no link to join so I ended up missing the stage.
Totally unacceptable zwift. Not the first time you have done this…

I agree with you! By monday evening for example, to Ride 3 days in a row! First solve the issue as we experience the same issue tomorrow!

Yep, same issue as everyone else. Whatever the problem is, they can “fix it” by adding more events so there are fewer people and anyone who missed out today like I did can try again later in the week or next weekend?

Just a heads up, even in a solo ride disconnected from the internet with a 9900K and 2080 Ti you wouldn’t get 250fps.

Is Zwift that poorly optimized? would this be at 1080 or 4k res? a 2080 TI and a 9900K should eat something like Zwift and spit it out unless it is poorly coded to be single threaded or something…

Having experience in the online poker world and hosting massive events drawing thousands of people and watching the application crumble because our software providers had no idea how well their code ran…, this is purely a Zwift issue, it is not people’s hardware.

1 Like

Of the 3,337 benchmarks on Zwiftalizer, none are close to 250fps on average. We don’t know who was capped due to running vsync but the closest anyone got was 170fps with a 9900K and RTX 2080 at 4K. At 1080p you’re talking 180-190fps, and it’s pretty well accepted that the performances is lower now due to better detail on the newer/refreshed worlds and more users online. Those benchmarks were with 7700K/8700K CPUs and 1070Ti/1080Ti GPUs, and there’s no way to know the circumstances of where they rode, how long for etc. I suspect they were on the old Richmond or Watopia with no internet. Some benchmarks have exceeded 250fps at max, but the minimums are around 120fps.

1 Like

Thank you @Dave_ZPCMR for that info, good to know it can be tracked. I just tried out Zwift on a Lenovo SFF M93p with an i7 4620 and integrated Intel 4600 GPU @ 1080 and it ran smooth as butter, mind you, I was the only rider in it so i didnt think the game was that heavy GPU wise.