how to ride with a friend?

Hi all, 

I promise, we do read these! 

This is currently a known issue, and one we are still working through. Here is where we are updating this issue. 

However, I can update you all in this thread. Very soon, we will be updating our entire interface, with an emphasis on our ‘Friends’ section. While I don’t have a timeline, it is coming! Thank you all for your patience! 

I have managed to successfully join my brother in rides, but we tend to get separated at junctions, even though neither of us makes any election to turn and we allow the computer to make the choice for us.  Anyone know how to avoid getting separated?

So I had the paid account last year, and dropped it because it was too difficult to ride with friends. I was told then, that it Wikileaks be updated over the summer, and now I see it has not. I’m back looking to rejoin so that several us can ride together - but it looks like I’m just goi g to stick with TrainerRoad for now!

This is a game with great physical motivation, and games are meant to be played with someone - but if I can’t, what’s the point?

So sad!

This is really something that should have been done day one. The number of people who like to ride with friends is probably in the 85%+ range if not more, to not have this feature available on day one is like cheating the people who paid you membership for a year because you said it was coming.

What I think is ridiculous is 1) you can’t find the people you want to ride with on the desktop interface because there’s no search feature it’s just a huge list and 2) the search feature on ZML let’s you find them but not connect to ride with, only to follow. It was explained to me that ZML was the bridge that would allow for this capability, now that appears to have been a lie. So we sit waiting for a reasonable feature request to be implemented…and waiting and waiting.

You need to fix this before you become the Tandy of the 21st century. People will only put up with this kind of crap for so long before they just chuck it in the toilet. It’s like in Garmin where the route builder is so bad that you can’t copy an existing route and make changes and save it as another route…totally ridiculous.

I could not agree more with the sentiments above.  I finally talked my girlfriend into joining, she lives about 300 miles away now but we’ve been riding together for 30 years – so - we’ve spent the past week trying daily to ride together and it’s been extremely frustrating.  one of us will start a ride and then the other will join, so far so good – we are together on the course, but thats where the fun really ends.  it’s nearly impossible to keep track of where she is because there are hundreds of people on the course - the list is so small I can barely read it, and so I spend the majority of my time looking for her name.  It seems like a big glitch is that we don’t seem to have the same information on the screen - for example, today I selected a workout (she only had 30 minutes to ride) and began riding, she joined me and there we are together – but my screen is telling me to hit 220 W for a minute but her screen says nothing - what she sees is me sprinting off so she jumps on to try and catch me.  a minute later, I drop to 80 Watts and she flies by me – we managed to stay together for about 10 minutes, until she reached for her water bottle and took her eyes off the screen for a split second, just as I was coming off a 440 W sprint, she flew by me and never saw me again.  We can’t select the same workout, or course and then ride together because as soon as you select a course, the screen disappears and you can’t “ride with” your friend anymore.  it’s super screwed up and we are super unhappy with the whole experience.  I’ve researched and can’t find anything that I’m doing wrong, or not doing, that fixes this.  

Hi Michelle

Ride with a friend and Workout mode don’t go well together very well, the reason is that you have different goals  different weight and different FTP. with some tweaking you can get it done. 

I would suggest if you want to ride together to not do a workout, that work really well you can chat to each other and keep up with each other.

If you have to do a workout then I would suggest you both choose the same workout but pause it just as you get on the route then ride to the start line and meet up there. do a count down and start riding. If your ability are similar you will stay together for longer. 

you clearly didn’t understand my issue - workout mode or not, the program is deeply flawed when it comes to riding with friends.  it’s difficult to find them on the screen and if you lose them somehow it’s impossible to find them again.  for example, if I’m riding in a busy area with my friend, there could be 50 riders close by, her name will completely disappear from the screen, and I can’t see her amidst the group of riders, many wearing the same kit.  it would be nice if we were somehow “connected” when we choose to ride together, and we could have the ability to either block out other riders, so it’s just us - or at the very least, keep her name on my screen somehow, anchored to the top perhaps if she gets ahead, or the bottom if she gets behind… and  maybe with a different color so I can see it easily among the other riders… and with an option to “rejoin” if we lose sight of one another.   those would be very helpful.  right now I might as well ride alone because it isn’t working unless we stay right together all the time… in real life we would get separated on a hill but be able to see each other, here you can’t easily do that.  finding your friend on the list of “riders nearby” is ridiculously difficult. 

Sorry i could not be more helpful. 

Yes it is hard but IRL it is the same if you are not close to your friend and there is traffic and other riders you can get lost. 

I like your suggestion to make your friend more visible on the list, I think all my “friends” those that I follow should be a different color. That will be sweet. 

You can see your friend on the mini map a orange dot. that can help.