Hey Zwift Runners, We Hear You Loud and CLEAR!

Thank you. It looks like they are still a little bit away from Zwift controlled incline. It would be neat and a feature I would pay for given a “fair price”.

1 Like

If incline control is not practical, indicating incline for a specific workout segment would be OK and we could set include as needed. On the Zwift side, incline needs to be an input option to keep power where it needs to be relative to FPT.

I agree, Run Social automatically changes the gradient on my treadmill, would be great if Zwift did.

Also how about virtual pacers on runs, one at every half minute mile.

Cool! Run Social automatically changes the gradient of your treadmill? Does it accomplish this using BLE? What kind of treadmill do you have? Cheers!

Agree! I know Zwift can track incline on treadmills in realtime. I can see my total elevation increase as I adjust treadmill incline. At least for me, Zwift accomplishes this using the BLE Exercise Equipment GATT Profile. And it works really well. Sadly, Zwift does not yet provide power or kcal adjusted for incline changes, even when treadmills are correctly sending that information to Zwift over BLE.

Hi,

Am now aware of what BLE is, But it does it via Bluetooth if that makes sense. It is a LifeFitness treadmill.

Regards

Mark

It’s been mentioned once in this thread already, but just want to add another request for a custom run workout creator/editor. I’d like to be able to take turn the run workouts created by my coach and turn them into Zwift workouts, the same way I can for cycling.

My second request has to do with the Zwift run pod…and I’m not sure what can be done about this. I calibrate it before every run and still my speed varies within 0.5 km/h of the actual treadmill speed. It seems calibration sets your stride length, and if your stride length varies so does your speed in Zwift…even while the treadmill speed is constant. Maybe I need to learn to be more consistent in stride length, but that is very hard during interval workouts.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback!
Aimee (triathlete)

1 Like

Running on Zwift is getting there Mike so please keep the improvements coming.

• The May Field running track is an excellent step forward especially with the ability to create custom workouts (and transfer them to Zwift) via Training peaks.
  • The dedicated running routes in Watopia and NY are also great improvements (although I still like the mixed routes too because of the higher user numbers).

Could we have dedicated running routes in the other worlds too though please?

Obviously automated incline control would be amazing but I can understand how differing treadmill functionality makes this almost impossible. I’ve been reading about the NPE Treadmill Tracker though and, assuming it’s accurate, it will be interesting to see how Zwift integrates with their technology.

Thanks for posting - Alan

Mike,

When loading TrainingPeaks workouts…, the run workouts with distance intervals/goals are the only ones that sync to Zwift. Workouts based on time intervals or time workouts are NOT available on t perform Zwift.

Am bummed that running levels top out at level 20 and I can’t go any higher.

Thanks,

Robert

Well…maybe you’ll get that velodrome one day.

Okay well I’m off to run on the 400 meter track zwift implemented.

1 Like

This is always my problem too. I send so much time/energy trying to get my stride and cadence to make the run speed match instead of you know just running in a way that is natural for me.

May have to break down and buy a more expensive run pod.

Heheh no one likes a smart bottom! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

To be fair, it does make more sense in the running context - not least because there are far fewer runners, and concentrating a load of them in a small area enhances the social aspect of running. As a runner out in the main Watopia world, you might never see anyone else running, and that’s a relatively solitary experience even if you see loads of cyclists.

1 Like

Hi Ian,
I have used the newest Stryd and am currently using the NPE Runn and both devices (at least in my case) are off my 0.3-0.5kph. I am not sure if a more expensive footpod will change much - maybe there are different experiences but I think it would be best if Zwift could let us said the current treadmill speed so we dont have to care about our running form.

Greetings,
Timo

Thanks for the advice. I may end up doing just this because the longer I live with the zwiftpod the worse it seems to be.

If I get it calibrated for 7.5 mph it’s okay at that speed. When I start running at 8.0 it’s of by about 1/2mph then by 8.5 it’s off by 1/2mph in the other direction and only gets worse the faster I run.

Basically I’m stuck running at the speed I calibrate to.

You are welcome. Two more things: You might get more accurate results by tighening your treadmill belt mine is a bit loose at the moment but I lack the proper equipment to tighten it.

If you treadmill has a CSAFE port you can use another product by NPE that broadcast the treadmill speed and inclince via bluetooth. You have to look on their website for further information as I forgot the name of the device.

Happy running!

Hey folks, quick check in from me on a couple of things.

We are working on a bunch of features to address topics discussed in this thread and hope to have at least one of the big asks checked off in a coming release. Some things will take longer than others so I won’t comment on timing but will say that we are growing our dev team in order to accelerate our running buildout.

In terms of incline control, not many runners on Zwift are using BLE connected treadmills so prioritizing that support is a bit challenging. Sending commands back to compatible treadmills is also dependent on whether those treadmills will take the commands. In most cases they don’t which means we need to get the manufacturers to support the code and that is a slow process. We definitely envision a much more immersive experience and incline control seems like a natural but the idea of “just turn it on” is easier said than done.

Also, quick note on the accuracy of enabling products. We all seem to take the treadmill console as the source of truth. In other words, if it says 7mph or 12kph, then that MUST be the speed the belt is moving which…is not always as true as it seems. From our testing, there can be a pretty big difference between the console and the actual belt speed so if you’re using something like the Runn (or the Runn AND a Stryd!) and they both are off the treadmill speed by ta similar amount, chances are the console is misreport the actual speed you are running. Yes, enabling products whether wearable of static can be a bit finicky, especially if you run a broad range of paces but to assume they are inaccurate is not always as correct a statement as it seems.

Which brings me to the 400m track. Is it 400m? Absolutely but, and this is a big but, it cannot be 400m around in all lanes or when passing people. Just like outdoor tracks. Think the winner of the Olympic 1500m ran exactly 1500m? Guess again.

On a separate note, it’s been awesome to see how our events are shaping up. From the Tour de Zwift to guided workouts, to our community standards, participation has been great. It’s also been super fun to see everyone on the track. Makes me believe we may see more of the small course terrain coming down the pipeline.

Look forward to seeing all of you out there!

3 Likes

I love Zwift. I travel for work, and having zwift has reduced the internal struggle to keep on track with my workouts. Fussing with the user interfaces on all the different hotel treadmills would be a pain so I like the fact that I can get a well-measured run with just a heart strap and foot pod.

Things that would be fun, from my perspective:

1. Runners are often solitary. I enjoy the social options, races, aand a ride on is great when I’m pushing hard. Sometimes however, I want to just run and think. It would be great if you could enable a ghost mode where you don’t see people around you and vice versa.
  2. I’m a runner and not really riding, would it be possible to display a ride on as “Run Forrest Run!” Or something like that?
  3. Would be nice to pause a training plan when your are sick and need to take a week off.
  4. A pacebot avatar would be great, I used to love it when the neighbor’s dog would follow me on a run. How about a digital deer/fox/bird thing?
  5. Would be nice to have a stats page somewhere estimating your progress visually like average pace per mile, HR vs pace, etc.

Thanks!

3 Likes

You could just disconnect from the internet after you begin your run and you will have the roads all to yourself, just remember to reconnect before finishing your run.

I would suggest using a 3rd party site like Strave, Garmin or Final Surge for this, that is their specialty.

1 Like