Graphics Quality

I have seen bits and pieces of answers to my question in different places, but I am hoping someone can give me a clear, concise answer (or answers). I am getting a 2019 16" MacBook Pro, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory, 2.3 i9 8-core, 32GB RAM that I am going to use with Zwift (in addition to my teaching 7th grade science responsibilities). Has anyone been able to get 2160 Ultra with this? What is the highest quality I can expect? Does Zwift recognize this graphics card? When manually editing the graphics files, is fps what I keep on eye on as I increase the resolution of textures, shadows, etc? Can I force it to do 2160 ultra if it does not do it on its own? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks so much - I know people have much more important things to deal with than this.

@Dave_ZPCMR might be able to answer this. All I know is you cant force Zwift to give you the ultra profile, but you can edit the config file to increase some of the graphics features.

No idea if the 5500M has been added for Ultra profile. I would guess not given its age and relative scarcity, in which case you may only see High and the 1440p resolution option (possibly not even that). You can bump up some of the effects by hacking the config files as above, but that’s not the same thing as getting true Ultra profile in the first place. You won’t struggle for frames though.

1. 2160 Resolution - Yes, Ultra profile - No. You will see the drop down option called 2160 Ultra, but that is the name for the resolution only. You can not choose the Ultra profile (higher texture detail and polygon count)
  2. highest quality? - 2160 Resolution, High Profile
  3. recognized? - Yes
  4. Yes, fps is inversely proportional to res & profile, generally speaking, not accounting for CPU bottlenecks in large groups.
  5. force 2160 res, Ultra profile? - No
3 Likes

Thanks so much Mike. I greatly appreciate you answering all my questions. I know things like this are pretty minuscule in the grand scheme of life. Thank you again.

My pleasure @Jeremy_Bishko. It’s the least I can do this teacher appreciation week.